Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Indeed. This is how it works now. Before selling or giving any phone away, the owner MUST delete all content and settings. This not only deletes the phone's contents, but also removes the original owner's Apple ID and password from the firmware and removes the phone from their account. It prevents phones that have been stolen from being reactivated by anyone besides the original owner.
I wonder if this will introduce an issue for quite a few more people who legitimaly buy used phones. Let's say they do it over eBay or CraigsList and then run into this. Sure, while many times the original owner can be reached and probably be willing to help, there can easily be quite a few cases where that might not work out--the original owner doesn't reply for some reason (some people create disposable emails for transactions and then don't check them anymore, or simply don't want to deal with anyone once they sold something and for their money), or perhaps even if reached they might be doubtful about why someone might want their Apple ID information (even though it's all on the up and up) and won't want to deal with it anyway.

MisterPunchy

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2013
CA
I wonder if this will introduce an issue for quite a few more people who legitimaly buy used phones. Let's say they do it over eBay or CraigsList and then run into this. Sure, while many times the original owner can be reached and probably be willing to help, there can easily be quite a few cases where that might not work out--the original owner doesn't reply for some reason (some people create disposable emails for transactions and then don't check them anymore, or simply don't want to deal with anyone once they sold something and for their money), or perhaps even if reached they might be doubtful about why someone might want their Apple ID information (even though it's all on the up and up) and won't want to deal with it anyway.

It could create those kinds of issues, if the original owner doesn't Erase All Contents and Settings prior to selling the phone. Again, doing that removes their AppleID from the firmware, allowing it to be transferred to another owner. But ya, if they don't do that, anyone else who tries to set up the phone will be locked out until the original owner wipes it.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
I wonder if this will introduce an issue for quite a few more people who legitimaly buy used phones.

Definitely. It's a new required step and a lot of folks don't know there are any steps.

My personal close call is I was preparing my iPhone 5 for sale last month. At the time I didn't know erasing the phone also disabled this feature, so I went into settings and turned off Find My iPhone. It prompted me for my credentials and I entered them and went back to messing around with the phone (confirming backups were current, confirming all pictures were copied off, etc.). Later while I'm doing this I get a random "cannot connect to server" error. There wasn't any indication of what it was so I attributed it to no longer being active on AT&T's network because I had my new phone already. Later I went back to double check the settings (real OCD) Find My iPhone was still enabled. After reproducing the issue the server error was the phone trying to validate turning off Find My iPhone.

I know now my later erase would have taken care of it, but it freaked me out that I could "disable" it with no immediate error and then later get a generic connectivity message that in no way indicates Find My iPhone is still enabled.

It's going to be a painful transition for many phones and the issue is probably open-ended.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
he say his cos sen do it at how m and he has Ben dead in car accident so now no way to find that id .

As ZipZap mentioned, I'd expect Apple has policies for accessing the appleID of a deceased person. Probably require death certificate and Letters Testamentary or similar.

if any one have a solution say or sheet up

If you hadn't figured it out yet, there is NOT a solution to unlocking a stolen phone or one where you cannot get in touch with the owner to provide their appleID/password. Apple *might* be able to help, but nobody here is able to.

Sheet up? Egyptian Cotton or is domestic okay? :D

vexorg

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2009
Seems like some new features have been added. What happens if you have no appleid on your iPhone?

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013
I love seeing security working properly.

Sadly people do steal things and sell them on at disreputable shops with no request for proof of ownership.

Saw a guy other month aquire a brand new ipad mini worth £400 off his friend for £80 and was going straight into town to sell for £180. I had my suspicions it was stolen but no evidence other than there being a prior name on the device not matching his or I wager his friends.

But with iOS 7 this will stop this wiping and reselling but not the stealing as criminals dont all yet know the futility of stealing an iOS device yet. Thats why the NYPD poster campaign is great as it gets the info out there on the streets to would be criminals that its pointless to steal anymore.

triplelucky

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2012
Tucson, Arizona, USA
Plus this will help Apple sell millions of more new iPhones as vast numbers of used IOS7 devices become bricked on the secondary market by forgetful or unsuspecting legitimate sellers.

Very smart.

squeakr

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2010
Plus this will help Apple sell millions of more new iPhones as vast numbers of used IOS7 devices become bricked on the secondary market by forgetful or unsuspecting legitimate sellers.

Very smart.

Or it will hurt sales as those that don't understand it will make it worse for others by spreading incorrect information. Apple got where it is by good advertising, innovative products, and word of mouth (especially about how things just work).

An example of what I am taking about is my dad always bad mouthing the iPhone because his friend has one and no one in the family could get a personal ring tone on the device so Apple is just crap (as his galaxy can do it easily). How could I own such crap that can't be easily used? I say down and put several ring tones on his friends phone and showed him how to do everything my dad's could with his galaxy (not saying they have all the same functionality just that my dad only uses the bare minimum and those same things could be done on the iPhone as easily). My dad was impressed with what the iPhone could do afterward and has a better impression of it (still loves and will stay with his galaxy, but different strokes for different folks). The moral is that his friends family were so uninformed that he hated the phone and so did my dad. After seeing things working properly and getting helpful information their impressions changed. This same thing could help and hinder apple depending on how the information gets out (if people think it too restrictive it will hurt apple until another manufacturer comes out with comparable).

Ashin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
for all stopped one every day we by 10-30 used phone and we dill on the street
and bi fur 2 days i fond that costumer and i ask him abut that id and he say his cos sen do it at how m and he has Ben dead in car accident so now no way to find that id .
so if any one have a solution say or sheet up

The broken English, dodgy changing story, and fact you joined just to post this seem suspicious.

Stolen or legit... if the original owner is now dead as you say - that iPhone is bricked forever... unless a workaround/jailbreak is released that bypasses it

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
What happens if you have no appleid on your iPhone?

Then you can't turn on FindMyiPhone and thus no activation lock.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't an iphone with no AppleID kind of like having a Ferrari with no wheels? What's the point?

navodwickra

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2013
Leeds, UK
Then you can't turn on FindMyiPhone and thus no activation lock.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't an iphone with no AppleID kind of like having a Ferrari with no wheels? What's the point?

You can make calls and send texts. Oh and browsing and emails work too. Just can't buy apps that's it :D

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
You can make calls and send texts. Oh and browsing and emails work too. Just can't buy apps that's it :D

So in other words, you'd have a Blackberry. :D

356x267_BlackBerryCurve_9320_multiview.jpg

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
^
Whatever apps/music/video that is already applied remain current and active.
Downloading additional content is prohibited.

waronxmas

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2007
So glad to see the iOS 7 Activation Lock work in real time on a thread started by someone Activation Lock was meant to stop. :D

The black market for stolen iOS devices is officially dead. Apple needs to implement this same thing on Macs, post haste.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Sorry to be "that guy" but I have to admit this thread brought me joy and delight to know what either

a) a thief got screwed, or
b) a shady dealer got screwed or
c) someone will finally learn a lesson the hard way

----------

The black market for stolen iOS devices is officially dead. Apple needs to implement this same thing on Macs, post haste.

Yeah, I agree, I have a macbook air I travel the world with, and it'd make me feel a lot better knowing that it had an extra deterrent from theft. Think how much insurance companies would save? You'd think they'd be all for this too.

shawndre

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2008
Wouldn't it be sweet if we also had the ability to require a pass code to turn off the phone.

When my sisters phone was stolen the thieves turned the phone off right away, making find my iphone useless.

ajiuo

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
Indeed. This is how it works now. Before selling or giving any phone away, the owner MUST delete all content and settings. This not only deletes the phone's contents, but also removes the original owner's Apple ID and password from the firmware and removes the phone from their account. It prevents phones that have been stolen from being reactivated by anyone besides the original owner.

This is misinformation.. Wiping the phone does not turn off activation lock.. You need to turn off find my phone prior to resetting it... The activation lock is not on the phone so even a DFU restore will not remove it..

Here is how it works.. When you turn on find my phone it sets an activation lock on apples servers.. Unless you disable find my phone for that device.. Apple will not activate the phone without your apple ID and password.

Restoring the device at ANY level does not turn off find my phone.. If you restore update or reset all content you will still need an apple id to activate the phone.. It is all serverside.

If you are selling your phone.. You first need to disable find my phone, it will ask for your password, then you reset all settings snd content.

If you forget to disable find my phone.. You can disable it remotly without giving the buyer your info.. Just open your find phone app on any device or icloud.com and remove the device in question from there

So basically if your phone has been activation locked.. it is on apples servers and you need the apple id that it was locked with to activate fhe phone... If you dont havd that apple ID or know anyone who does... You are SOL... But if this is the case your probably using a stollen device.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Wouldn't it be sweet if we also had the ability to require a pass code to turn off the phone.

When my sisters phone was stolen the thieves turned the phone off right away, making find my iphone useless.
They could just as well put the phone into a metal box to shield the signal, or simply remove the SIM.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
They could just as well put the phone into a metal box to shield the signal, or simply remove the SIM.
They certainly could, although probably more would find it easier to just turn off the phone than to do any of those things. So, while it probably doesn't solve any problems, and maybe even doesn't make a huge difference, it probably would make some difference nonetheless.

That said, on some level it would be somewhat strange to have to know the passcode or a recognized thumbprint to be able to simply turn off an electronic device (especially with what is essentially a non-removable battery) whenever someone would desire--not something that is really done, perhaps even because of some safety regulations or something like that--which is likely why Apple (and pretty much all companies out there) don't allow for something like that.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
This is misinformation.. Wiping the phone does not turn off activation lock.

It's supposed to (if you use Erase All Content and Settings, as the earlier post stated). If you've found a case when it doesn't, then I suggest filing a bug report with Apple.

flatfoot99

Aug 4, 2010
This is misinformation.. Wiping the phone does not turn off activation lock.. You need to turn off find my phone prior to resetting it... The activation lock is not on the phone so even a DFU restore will not remove it..

Here is how it works.. When you turn on find my phone it sets an activation lock on apples servers.. Unless you disable find my phone for that device.. Apple will not activate the phone without your apple ID and password.

Restoring the device at ANY level does not turn off find my phone.. If you restore update or reset all content you will still need an apple id to activate the phone.. It is all serverside.

If you are selling your phone.. You first need to disable find my phone, it will ask for your password, then you reset all settings snd content.

If you forget to disable find my phone.. You can disable it remotly without giving the buyer your info.. Just open your find phone app on any device or icloud.com and remove the device in question from there

So basically if your phone has been activation locked.. it is on apples servers and you need the apple id that it was locked with to activate fhe phone... If you dont havd that apple ID or know anyone who does... You are SOL... But if this is the case your probably using a stollen device.
What if too many wrong passcodes are entered? Does that erase all settings and turn off activation lock??? I doubt, but curious.

----------

It's supposed to (if you use Erase All Content and Settings, as the earlier post stated). If you've found a case when it doesn't, then I suggest filing a bug report with Apple.

that wouldnt make sense

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.