Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does your iPhone 5 screen click down

• Rock Solid

Votes: 184 65.2%
  • Top Right corner

Votes: 28 9.9%
  • Top Left corner

Votes: 25 8.9%
  • Bottom Right corner

Votes: 24 8.5%
  • Bottom Left corner

Votes: 35 12.4%

• Total voters

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Noticed that this thread came out in 2012. Had the issue on a release day 5s. Top right quadrant felt spongy. No problems getting a replacement but even that one had a few always lit pixels. So far no physical issues on the second replacement.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
I understand it’s hardly a huge problem, but I plan on keeping this phone for a couple of years ...

Quoting myself from a year ago.

I remember thinking I'd keep the iPhone 5 till the iPhone 6, but now I own an iPhone 5s.

I'm so fickle.

Anyhow, relating back to this topic, my iPhone 5s is rock solid, thankfully.

Looking at the Poll results, it looks like about 25% of phones have this issue.

Obviously, this is a tiny slice of users, and hardly scientific, but it's a worryingly high number.

Drew1204

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2009
Just took in my space gray 64gb to the apple store for a loose screen / clicking screen near the ear piece and top right of the phone. You could visibly see the screen moving up and down about 1mm as you pushed and applied pressure.

They gave me a new one no hassles and its rock solid.

The home button is nicer feeling on the new one as well. More of an iPhone 4 feel, not the super click there's a bubble under my home button feel.

OasisNYK

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2004
I got my 5 last year on release date and it had the clicking problem. I never got around to taking it back and after ignoring the temptation to click the corners for almost a year, I tried it yesterday and the problem is gone.

My guess its part of the curing process but its your choice what you want to do. It never impacted the performance of my phone and like I said, it doesn't even click now.

jasono346

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2013
iphone click

I have the same problem with mine. but it only does this in cold temperatures or sudden changes in temperature otherwise it is fine. 1 other question. will Apple replace it if it is a business bought phone?

benoit85

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2013
I had this problem on my 5C, i've only had it just over a week and already swapped it as the first one had a dead pixel and also the casing was coming away from the screen! the new one is fine apart from this screen clicking issue. Happens in the bottom left hand corner,seems to be intermittent though. I called phones 4 u and told them i don't want another 5C and they are upgrading me to a 5S now so hopefully that will be perfect but i am worried that im going to find issue with that one too, will have to wait and see.

tripoli8647

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2011
I have found that opening the two screws, gently removing screen (be careful with ribbon) and running your finger inside casing and screen to remove dirt solves the clicking problem.

Reset and tightened and the issue has disappeared. Maybe it's just a fresh reset or realignment but it takes minutes and seems to have worked.

cesmith979

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2014
Hey the guy that went to the apple store did you need to have a warranty for your phone to get the guys to replace it please respond back

Mylo130

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2012
Took my iPhone 5 to the Apple store yesterday for this problem. My screen clicks, but it's very intermittent...is worse after the phone has sat un-used for a while or if the it gets cold. Trying to demonstrate the problem in the store is pretty much impossible because most times you get one good click sound. I did notice that you can see the screen push in along the left edge, and can actually feel it moving with part of your finger on the metal frame and the other part on the screen. I had the genius feel and see it for himself, and he said they're going to replace the screen. Unfortunately the screen calibration machine is expected to be down for a week, so I'll be heading back at that time.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
Does anybody no a simple way to fix it at home

5 posts above yours.

I have found that opening the two screws, gently removing screen (be careful with ribbon) and running your finger inside casing and screen to remove dirt solves the clicking problem.

Reset and tightened and the issue has disappeared. Maybe it's just a fresh reset or realignment but it takes minutes and seems to have worked.

Crosseeyd83

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2014
Bad Glue + Bad Battery

The glass on your screen is held in place by a plastic bezel. This bezel holds the metal tabs that secure the entire assembly to the phone. This plastic bezel's glue has failed causing the screen to "pop" when it is pushed back into that bezel.
Some people receive their phones with a bad bezel, while others have bad batteries that expand pushing the screen away from this plastic bezel. This will typically occur on the left side of the screen. (So, if your battery isn't holding a charge and randomly fluctuating this might be a contributing factor)

If your phone is under warranty, apple will swap it out for free. If not, you will need to pull your screen off, and re-glue that bezel to the glass. I pulled mine away from the screen and used a tooth pick to "paint" super glue to the edge of the exposed screen. Works like a dream.
Keep in mind if your battery is bad, you will need to replace it before gluing your glass.

Important note: self repairs void your warranty, but if you're out of warranty it doesn't really matter.

eelw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
Oddly on my launch iPhone 5, I had my battery begin to bulge and it lifted the right side of the screen. Genius was also confused why it would be. But she opened it up to confirm and unit was replaced for safety issues even though I was OOW.

Jimerf

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2014
I found the same problem on my 6 month old Iphone 5s. Never had the same problem before or I just didn't notice it. It started with a strange noise down in the top right corner. After a week the glass inside the black plastic bezel became loose. So i decided to take it to the Applestore, the guy at the store said it was a more common problem with the 5S do he accepted it immediately. Hope my new screen will not do the same thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.