Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onions

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2011
I've had one for a few months now, adopted one early because let's face it, i'm addicted to technology. that being said, i bought it right about the time i started my lifestyle change of eating better and exercising more. people have already commented that if it motivates you to go out and be more active, then it's already worth whatever the cost is. and that, for me at least, is true. normally, i hate the idea that one buy a product and use an intended use as a justification ("if i had this camera, i would totally start taking photographs"), but since I was already on my way to changing my living habits, the fuel band provided just a little extra motivation to stay active and keep hitting my fuel goals.

speaking of goals, this device does one thing really well: it prevents you from cheating. you can set your daily goal whenever you want, but it will apply to the next day's goal. so if it's 11:30 at night and you're shy of making your goal, you can't reset it so that you'll hit it. the changes will affect tomorrow's goal. there's a bit of discipline involved to set your goal to a realistic number and not sandbag your own efforts to be active. setting your goal to 200 isn't do yourself any favors.

nike claims that 2000 fuel points is average for a normal day. that is about right. when i go to the gym and hit the treadmill, i can easily get double that so I try to set my goal to around 3000-4500, depending on what i have planned for the next day.

i'm not one to wear a watch or anything else, but this i'll wear. i can't wear it while working on my macbook pro, however, it gets in the way of typing and i'm afraid of the metal clasp scratching the surface, but they go on and off easily enough.

there's a really good write up on the device right here:

http://solecollector.com/news/review-the-nike-fuelband-a-step-towards-the-future/

jeepzy3

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2011
I've been using the UP since December 2011 and love it. And yes it wakes me up by vibrating in the morning. Supposedly I can use the UP swimming but due to all the bad reviews I'm not taking a chance. I have not tried to use it in the shower. I have accidently gotten it wet a few times and it's still working.

If only the UP had a web interface and sync'd via bluetooth, but it does the job and best of all I didn't just receive it for free, I got paid after the No Questions Asked refund. I have to sync it at least twice/day to make sure i don't lose any data - not a problem since I always have my iPhone on me all the time.

Glad these type of gadgets are constantly improving! I'll wait for the 2nd or 3rd gen or until my UP dies. I have 2 more spares just in case so I can definitely wait til these gadgets are vastly improved.

----------

i'm not one to wear a watch or anything else, but this i'll wear. i can't wear it while working on my macbook pro, however, it gets in the way of typing and i'm afraid of the metal clasp scratching the surface, but they go on and off easily enough.

oh that's funny re: MBP! i have turned my UP upside-down for the same reason. The metal side is on top now and all rubber on bottom so i don't cringe when i type on my MBP.

grabbyg

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2009
Gonna wait for another generation

I was first in line when the band was announced at the flagship store. I had to return my first band after a week because the clasp broke. Got another one. Within 2 months the display went dark in a specific area so I couldn't read the numbers accurately. The band was also a bit too bulky and inflexible for my taste. Took this one back and got my money back. Nike was very accommodating and helpful both times. (I didn't expect a full refund after 2 months of use). I also question the accuracy of the fuel points. I think this device has promise, but I am going to wait for the next generation.

eternlgladiator

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
Twin Cities
I want it only if the band is made out of a hard plastic material and not the "sticky" black rubber it currently is.

Without having seen either version I would assume they are made of the same type of material. If they weren't it might require different production processes which I doubt they'd do.

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
I've got one and have had it for almost two weeks now and it has definitely improved my activity level. I hate exercise and lead quite a sedentary lifestyle so it has been a real boon giving me some incentive to move about more without me necessarily feeling like its actual work. Plus it looks really cool :) I don't get the Ice version though. The big appeal to me is that it looks like a wristband and then these lights magically appear from nowhere. It looks cheap with all the innards on display. I thought we'd got past that fad.

Mr Rabbit

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2013
'merica
Anyone know if the now previous generation Fuel Bands have been discounted now that the SE has been announced? Mine literally stopped working (801 error when connecting) the day the new ones were announced. I'm not terribly impressed with the updates and would prefer to save a bit with an older device.

ChitoCrisis

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2011
California
Anyone here have the Nike Fuelband? Your impressions?

I've been interested in the Nike Fuelbands ever since they were announced and I'm thinking about buying one. I'd like to hear impressions on them if you have one. Can they be used as a watch? I always wear a digital watch but the one I have is old and instead of buying a new watch, I was thinking of buying the fuelband while I'm at it. I enjoy jogging and always use the Nike+ Running app on my iPhone while jogging.

What do you think?

[mod note: merged threads]

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.