Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

panerista

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
SPOILERS
Last Sunday, my girl and I were watching the finale, and at one of the final scenes, where Walt is lying on top of Jesse and grunts after being hit by the bullet, the power went out for about 10 seconds. Naturally we were both going absolutely hysterical, because as soon as the power came back on, it took the DVR about 10 minutes to "acquire satellite signal." Talk about terrible timing. It was a nightmare. We finally resorted to recording the later showing, and then watched the end of the episode in the morning before heading out.

All that craziness aside, I thought the ending was a perfect fit to the series. Although I wonder, I don't believe Walt actually planned on getting hit, so what was his original plan? Was he banking on Jesse shooting him? Was he planning on turning himself in and going to jail? He was very calm knowing he was about to die. Oh well, just some after-thoughts. Gonna miss the show, definitely.

On the bright side, Walking Dead season 4 premiere in 10 days!

Last edited:

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
SPOILERS
Last Sunday, my girl and I were watching the finale, and at one of the final scenes, where Walt is lying on top of Jesse and grunts after being hit by the bullet, the power went out for about 10 seconds. Naturally we were both going absolutely hysterical, because as soon as the power came back on, it took the DVR about 10 minutes to "acquire satellite signal." Talk about terrible timing. It was a nightmare. We finally resorted to recording the later showing, and then watched the end of the episode in the morning before heading out.

Heisenberg did it. Seriously, that would have driven me nuts.

All that craziness aside, I thought the ending was a perfect fit to the series. Although I wonder, I don't believe Walt actually planned on getting hit, so what was his original plan? Was he banking on Jesse shooting him? Was he planning on turning himself in and going to jail? He was very calm knowing he was about to die. Oh well, just some after-thoughts. Gonna miss the show, definitely.

I agree that Walt wasn't planning to get hit. However, I think that he was at peace with whatever might happen, including being killed by Jesse or captured by the police. At that point, he'd accomplished what he set out to do: provide Skyler with an exit strategy, take care of Lydia, Todd, and Jack and his gang, and funnel a good size chunk of money to his children. But his non-instantaneous but still relatively quick death was perfect for him because he got one more opportunity to spend some time with his Baby Blue.

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Heisenberg did it. Seriously, that would have driven me nuts.
There's a scene at the end of the movie The Cable Guy (from about 15 years ago with Jim Carrey and Matthew Broderick) where the cable guy falls on the satellite, and everyone's TV goes out just as some big important verdict is about to be announced. This felt exactly like that. It was 5 seconds of shock with our mouths wide open, followed by "WHAT!?!?" and "NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!" By the time the receiver finished rebooting, the show was already over. :mad:

I agree that Walt wasn't planning to get hit. However, I think that he was at peace with whatever might happen, including being killed by Jesse or captured by the police. At that point, he'd accomplished what he set out to do: provide Skyler with an exit strategy, take care of Lydia, Todd, and Jack and his gang, and funnel a good size chunk of money to his children. But his non-instantaneous but still relatively quick death was perfect for him because he got one more opportunity to spend some time with his Baby Blue.
Considering how his life had completely fallen apart, the way he planned everything down to a T and leaving no loose ends with the people in his life was genius, starting with the Schwartzes. At the start of the episode, I thought they were goners for sure.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
I also liked Marty Robbin's song El Paso at the beginning of the show. Felina wasn't a woman, it was the meth. I thought it was neat at the end when he put his blood soaked hand on the tank in the meth lab and you could see his reflection on the tank. He looked at that and saw himself.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Wait a sec. You're not a fellow Samsung astroturfer?

...so why the hell have I been giving you all these hotpockets? :mad:

I'm a double agent. I work for Microsoft and Google. :D I'm like Mr. White taking down Gus Fring and the Cartel.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
I don't...I don't know who you are. I don't even know who I'm dealing with here.

Who are you talking to right now? Who is it you think you see? Do you know how much I make a year? Even I told you, you won't believe it. You clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger Renzatic, I AM the danger.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
I found this to be interesting. Anthony Hopkins wrote a letter to Brian Cranston about Breaking Bad. He loved the show and the acting. And coming from an actor like Hopkins, I this this is quite a tribute.

Dear Mister Cranston.
I wanted to write you this email - so I am contacting you through Jeremy Barber - I take it we are both represented by UTA. Great agency.

I've just finished a marathon of watching "BREAKING BAD" - from episode one of the First Season - to the last eight episodes of the Sixth Season. [Ed note: There are in fact five seasons of Breaking Bad; this might have been wishful thinking.] (I downloaded the last season on AMAZON) A total of two weeks (addictive) viewing.

I have never watched anything like it. Brilliant!

Your performance as Walter White was the best acting I have seen - ever.

I know there is so much smoke blowing and sickening bullxxxx in this business, and I've sort of lost belief in anything really.

But this work of yours is spectacular - absolutely stunning. What is extraordinary, is the sheer power of everyone in the entire production. What was it? Five or six years in the making? How the producers (yourself being one of them), the writers, directors, cinematographers.... every department - casting etc. managed to keep the discipline and control from beginning to the end is (that over used word) awesome.

From what started as a black comedy, descended into a labyrinth of blood, destruction and hell. It was like a great Jacobean, Shakespearian or Greek Tragedy.

If you ever get a chance to - would you pass on my admiration to everyone - Anna Gunn, Dean Norris, Aaron Paul, Betsy Brandt, R.J. Mitte, Bob Odenkirk, Jonathan Banks, Steven Michael Quezada - everyone - everyone gave master classes of performance ... The list is endless.

Thank you. That kind of work/artistry is rare, and when, once in a while, it occurs, as in this epic work, it restores confidence.

You and all the cast are the best actors I've ever seen.

That may sound like a good lung full of smoke blowing. But it is not. It's almost midnight out here in Malibu, and I felt compelled to write this email.

Congratulations and my deepest respect. You are truly a great, great actor.

Best regards

Tony Hopkins.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/14/anthony-hopkins-breaking-bad-letter_n_4098441.html

Last edited:

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ
I found this to interesting. Anthony Hopkins wrote a letter to Brian Cranston about Breaking Bad. He loved the show and the acting. And coming from an actor like Hopkins, I this this is quite a tribute.

Wow. That's a great, great letter. I think, in almost any profession, receiving praise from your (respected) peers/contemporaries is far more flattering and means more than receiving praise from critics, "management", etc.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
According to Vince Gilligan, the writers also toyed with 5 alternative endings.

http://entertainment.time.com/2013/10/01/5-alternate-breaking-bad-endings/

#4 & 5 are just dark... darker than Ozymandias even. Glad they didn't go that route.
I think this one is much better.:p
http://www.buzzfeed.com/jacelacob/this-breaking-bad-alternate-ending-must-be-seen-to-be-believ
Was it all just a terrible nightmare? Malcolm in the Middle’s Hal may have eaten too many fried Twinkies before bed, according to a new DVD extra.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
More Breaking Bad yo? Video with Bryan Cranston in the link below.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/30/showbiz/tv/bryan-cranston-breaking-bad/index.html?hpt=hp_c4

(CNN) -- More "Breaking Bad" yo?

The series star Bryan Cranston seemed to drop a major hint in an interview with CNN's Ashleigh Banfield Thursday. Asked by Banfield if his character, Walter White, died or not, Cranston said, "Hey, you never saw bags zip up or anything. Or say ... you know." He left the rest up to viewers' imaginations.
The many faces of Bryan Cranston: Part 3
Cranston on 'Breaking Bad' return: Maybe

In response to questions about whether the character could show up in a movie or anywhere else ever again, Cranston said: "Never say never."

Whoa.

He may have been teasing, but that remark revived hopes for countless fans who still are mourning the loss of the character and the acclaimed series. The show literally went out with a bang in September 2013 and there was even a mock funeral held for the character in Albuquerque, New Mexico, where the series was set and filmed.

Cranston has remained busy since the series ended, most recently starring in the summer film "Godzilla." And AMC has announced that "Breaking Bad" fans can look forward to a new series, "Better Call Saul," which will be a spinoff featuring criminal lawyer Saul Goodman.

What say you diehard fans? Do you think Cranston was kidding or not?

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan

There won't be any more continuation of Breaking Bad, period. There's no good way to carry on the story. Cranston will be getting old for a reboot that wouldn't be for a few years from now. He just can't slam the door shut because (a) it's not his decision to make and (b) in case some really stupid network exec does want to revive it one day or feature Walt in a secondary role on Better Call Saul or similar, the option will still be available.

I know with binge watching those few top of the chart shows like Breaking Bad you never want it to end, but you also don't want another 1-3 seasons of watered down, drawn out b/s either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.