Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
Just curious if any MacRumorer's read comics and/or manga. If so what do you read? What are you reading? What are you ordering for the future? What is that one issue you really want?

Renzatic

Suspended
I rarely ever read comics or manga, mostly because I'm not super invested in the scene, and don't know what's good to check out.

But I'll say this, anything by Junji Ito is freaky gold. I read Spiral a couple years back, and thought it was excellent from beginning to end.

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
Just curious if any MacRumorer's read comics and/or manga. If so what do you read? What are you reading? What are you ordering for the future? What is that one issue you really want?

Just for starters. There are probably more but I'm not home right now so this is just from memory.

Strangers in Paradise
Echo
Rachel Rising
Sin City
Runaways
Fables
Fairest
Unwritten
Sandman
Jack of Fables
Dark Knight Returns
Locke & Key
Walking Dead
American Vampire
Birds of Prey
Batman
Harley Quinn
Catwoman
30 Days of Nights
Dawn
Mind the Gap
Morning Glories
RASL
Bone
Gotham City Sirens
Kick Ass
BtVS
Angel
Angel & Faith
Spike
Serenity

What I really want is the Original Artwork Strangers in Paradise Issue 90 page 6. I have asked Terry Moore more than once if he will sell it, but the answer is always no.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012

GREAT THREAD! I was seriously considering creating one myself two days ago. :)

Started collecting US comics when I was 12yo and recently came back to that by chance. Funny that both Marvel and DC both rebooted their universes also recently so it's kinda easy to come back.

I'm pulling ~12 series right now.

Most interesting so far:

Uncanny Avengers - never been an Avengers type, always X-Men so that's maybe best of both worlds right now

Batman Superman - I'm a huge Jae Lee sucker so that is that

The Wake - hands down best series by far, just read til issue #4 and it's awesome, great art, great and eerie story. Has some H.P. Lovecraft appeal. It's a 10 issues miniseries, so maybe worth a look if not interested in endless continuity

I'm quite interested in the next Savage Wolverine run as well since Jock is not only doing the covers but the whole book!

Btw, just got to know a guy working in my local comic shop who's actually being an artist for Marvel! Really nice guy, I'm thinking of asking him if he could re-imagine the perspective of my architectural Diploma project with Spidey passing by! Maybe a second after Hulk visited (if it's not too pricey)...:D

That's him:
125_max1.jpg

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
I read comics when I was single and had spending cash. Read A LOT of X-men and Hulk.

Now I read manga I download from the net. I read on my tablet when the missus is shopping.

Read through Ghost in the Shell, Initial D (waiting for the next volume), Great Teacher Onizuka, Air Gears (Never finished it though), Maison Ikkoku, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Appleseed and Dominion Tank Police (yeah, I'm a Shirow fan :cool:)

I'm currently starting Attack on Titan. I've only gotten to the part where the capture the Female Titan (don't spoil it for me :p).

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
Currently reading One Piece. Previous ones I've read are Shaman King and Yuyu Hakasho.

How far are you in One Piece? I've got the first volume and read it. Enjoyed it quite a bit but haven't purchased further items quite yet.

Started collecting US comics when I was 12yo and recently came back to that by chance. Funny that both Marvel and DC both rebooted their universes also recently so it's kinda easy to come back.

Definitely a good time to come back! I recently just started. I bought a lot of the DC New 52 Volume 1 trade paperbacks and a few of the Marvel Now Volume 1's also.

Right now I'm pulling....

• Batman
  • Batman The Dark Knight
  • Catwoman
  • Detective Comics
  • Harley Quinn (starts soon!)
  • Suicide Squad

A new comic is starting called Pretty Deadly that sounds interesting so that's on my pull list but we'll see how that continues on.

I recently finished Y: The Last Man and loved the whole series. Very cool story about how all of the sudden every man in the world dies except one guy (and his male monkey) and what happens. It's pretty interesting to see what might happen especially across different cultures.

I'm reading Locke & Key which is great. The art is great, the story is great... it's great! The series is almost done so I'm just getting the trade paperbacks as they come out. I only have 1-3 at the moment but 4 and 5 will be here this week.

I have the first two trade paperbacks of Saga which is also very cool. It's kind of Star Warsy/Romeo & Juliet? I think I read that Brian K. Vaughn wrote parts of it such that it couldn't realistically be made into a movie and it kind of shows. Some of the creatures could be made via CGI of course but I think they'd have to tone it down a bit to get it in theaters. Very good series and I'm starting to just get the single issues of it now.

I'm contemplating getting a nice copy of The Batman Adventures #12 as I'm a fairly big fan of Harley Quinn, but I'm going to hold off until I can get a better feel for prices. I'm mildly new to comic books so I don't want to over stretch myself!

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Definitely a good time to come back! I recently just started. I bought a lot of the DC New 52 Volume 1 trade paperbacks and a few of the Marvel Now Volume 1's also.

I was always a Marvel guy but got interested in DC now as well (being older = more open minded :D) so I follow the Forever Evil cross-over (as well as Marvel's Infinity) to get an idea.

DC pulls would be, besides those Forever Evil issues: Swamp Thing, Animal Man, Green Arrow (mostly because I like Andrea Sorrentino) and Batman Superman (which I will cancel when Jae Lee jumps ship). Some Vertigo Stuff as well. I haven't read the best about the New 52 from lots of DC fans but I'm clueless since I have nothing to compare it. Think it's mostly because of the continuity which shouldn't really bother you when just started to follow. You should check out the forum of comicbookresources. I'm new there, too. wee tee's the name over there. :)

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
I was always a Marvel guy but got interested in DC now as well (being older = more open minded :D) so I follow the Forever Evil cross-over (as well as Marvel's Infinity) to get an idea.

DC pulls would be, besides those Forever Evil issues: Swamp Thing, Animal Man, Green Arrow (mostly because I like Andrea Sorrentino) and Batman Superman (which I will cancel when Jae Lee jumps ship). Some Vertigo Stuff as well. I haven't read the best about the New 52 from lots of DC fans but I'm clueless since I have nothing to compare it. Think it's mostly because of the continuity which shouldn't really bother you when just started to follow. You should check out the forum of comicbookresources. I'm new there, too. wee tee's the name over there. :)

And I haven't found any Marvel I like! Weird. If you're good with non-superhero comics, those others I mentioned in my prior post are really really good.

I can't get into Animal Man, haven't read Swamp Thing (but last I left Animal Man he was headed to meet Swamp Thing so nope!), Green Arrow didn't seem that interesting to me, and I've never been a Superman guy. For some reason the crazies of Gotham are my thing...

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
And I haven't found any Marvel I like! Weird. If you're good with non-superhero comics, those others I mentioned in my prior post are really really good.

I can't get into Animal Man, haven't read Swamp Thing (but last I left Animal Man he was headed to meet Swamp Thing so nope!), Green Arrow didn't seem that interesting to me, and I've never been a Superman guy. For some reason the crazies of Gotham are my thing...

Actually I agree, most of those series I've mentioned are completely new to me too! Batman got kind of worn out though. I too am not interested in Superman, but my favorite artist has to be supported!
re Animal Man: fully agree. Got it because of some recommendations and would have stopped it because of the reason you stated, but they changed the artist to the better so I'll give it some more time to build up. I actually like the Before Watchmen series which just finished. Ozymandias is exquisit (also Jae Lee).

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
Actually I agree, most of those series I've mentioned are completely new to me too! Batman got kind of worn out though. I too am not interested in Superman, but my favorite artist has to be supported!
re Animal Man: fully agree. Got it because of some recommendations and would have stopped it because of the reason you stated, but they changed the artist to the better so I'll give it some more time to build up. I actually like the Before Watchmen series which just finished. Ozymandias is exquisit (also Jae Lee).

Batman? Worn out?! Yeah... :) Somebody really needs to fire whoever is in charge of Arkham Asylum. "Hey we need a plot... let's blow a hole in Arkham again!"

I might try Animal Man more if they changed artists. I think the art of the first tpb I got was just too... weird for me.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Going old school here (and yes, I know it shows my age!). All of these are during the Bronze to Modern era (so, early 1980s until I grew out of it roughly in 1992)

Fantastic Four (especially #238 and newer; Nova ruled)
Power Pack (hey, I was a kid! and I only have 4 issues left to complete the entire collection)
PPTSSM (Say what you want; the black costume rocked, though the whole Venom thing was just ... ugh)
The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe (gave insight into the golden, silver, and bronze era characters, including the Book of the Dead and Inactive, to see how characters were killed off)

I didn't get much into DC comics.. nothing wrong with them, just personal preference, though I did buy 3 copies of the Death of Superman; 2 remain unopened.

My only regret is that I did not buy the 9/11 editions of Spiderman and Superman. Those are worth serious money.

Manga.. not much into it except for a few pieces.

Cardcaptors/Cardcaptor Sakura
Yugioh!/Yugioh R
MyHime

That's been it for me.

BL.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I read lots of comics... here are my monthly pull lists:

The Walking Dead
Batman (New 52)
Chew
Thief of Thieves
The Goon
Saga
Peter Panzerfaust
Revival

Tried the new 52 Detective Comics. Did not like it. Waited till issue 13 then started to read it, the writing is better but still have not gotten into it. I only do the graphic novels now for this one.

Graphic Novels:

Sam & Twitch
Hellboy
Okko
Preacher
Scalped
The Boys
Invincible
SkullKickers
Detective Comics
Spawn
Locke & Key

I was big into spawn a while back have comecis 1-150 or so. Then started to do the graphic novels.

I actually like the graphic novels better.

That is all I can think of off the top of my head.

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010

Just back home.

To complete the list.

Heroes
Saga
The Guild
Jungle Girl
Jingle Belles
Liberty Meadows
White Out
Queen & Country
Vampirella
Hack & Slash
The Waiting Place
Empowered
Love & Rockets
Love Bites
Death
Four Letter Worlds
Poison Elves
Watchmen
Danger Girl
Sam & Twitch
Artesia
Mouse Guard

If you want a tip for a good Marvel Title try Runaways writer Brian K Vaughan.

He also writes Saga which you also like.

Locke & Key is one of the best comics out there, Joe Hill is of course the son of Stephen King, so it does sit in the genes.

I personally have moved as I got older to more independent publishers.

My favorites from the Indies are Strangers in Paradise, The Waiting Place, Mouse Guard.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
I personally have moved as I got older to more independent publishers.

I agree, the mainstream series I pull now do provide some nice nostalgic moments but aren't exactly great. I won't get them for very long I guess. I do wonder if you know The Wake? And if yes what do you think?

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest

Locke & Key is one of the best comics out there, Joe Hill is of course the son of Stephen King, so it does sit in the genes.

Yeah I have the Runaways. I don't dislike Marvel as a company by any means. I just don't have any caring for their main properties like Fantastic Four, Avengers, Spider Man, or X-Men.

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
I agree, the mainstream series I pull now do provide some nice nostalgic moments but aren't exactly great. I won't get them for very long I guess. I do wonder if you know The Wake? And if yes what do you think?

Do you mean this a French comic translated into English, or the title by Vertigo?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake_(comics)

I have the books Sillage in the original French, it's a good read, one of the better modern French comics.

Wake (titled Sillage in the original French) is a science fiction graphic novel series created by Jean-David Morvan and Philippe Buchet. The series has been translated to English and published in the United States by NBM Publishing. The issues are published in a large format (19 cm by 25.4 cm) as soft cover graphic novels. Issues 1 through 3 were published individually. Issues 4/5 and 6/7 were published together as single books. Issues 8, 9 and 10 have been released in French but have not yet reached the United States - NBM Publishing have stated that they will not be publishing the remainder of the series in English in the United States.
Wake is hard science fiction and space opera, exploring social themes about inequalities, corruption and colonization.

Yeah I have the Runaways. I don't dislike Marvel as a company by any means. I just don't have any caring for their main properties like Fantastic Four, Avengers, Spider Man, or X-Men.

Yes well I'm completely with you on that one, I've always like DC Vertigo, I've never had a bad comic experience with anything from Vertigo.

But the Marvel franchise has given us fantastic movies like Iron Man I II III.
Even if I didn't like the comics:eek:

Last edited:

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
@Happybunny, no it's not. The Wake (series I talked about) is published by Image. If you're that much into comics I'd definitely recommend you a look at it, it's highly addictive! Can't provide any links right now but reviews are great as well.

Pulling some Vertigo ones as well, thumbs up from me too.

Agreed about Marvel, I've always been a Spidey guy, but there is actually not a single series I'm interested in now. I'd recommend Remender's Uncanny Avengers though.

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
@Happybunny, no it's not. The Wake (series I talked about) is published by Image. If you're that much into comics I'd definitely recommend you a look at it, it's highly addictive! Can't provide any links right now but reviews are great as well.

Pulling some Vertigo ones as well, thumbs up from me too.

Agreed about Marvel, I've always been a Spidey guy, but there is actually not a single series I'm interested in now. I'd recommend Remender's Uncanny Avengers though.

Thanks for the heads up.:D

I also forgot these.

Goon
Concrete
Stray Bullets
Wasteland

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Forgot to add the following:

TPB:

Rubicon (modern spin on the seven samurai's story)

68' Jungle Jim series. Pretty graphic and the story is good to boot!

Used to read the following but haven't in a while:

Vampirella
Lady Death
Evil Ernie
American Vampire

I want to try the following:
East West
Manhattan Project

Loved the Verotika line of comics. They had some pretty far out there stories.

Watchmen

----------

Just back home.

Locke & Key is pretty darn good. Between the art work and writing it is one of my favorites right now. Sad to see this is the end of the story line but Joe has said there might be some one off's to the story!

I will have to check out the Runaways. Not real big on Marvel either in fact I don't have any going right now.

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
I've cut back a lot, with how unreadable DC has become;

Ongoing

Batwoman
Wonder Woman
Red Hood & the Outlaws (Mostly because my friend writes it)
Fearless Defenders
X-Men
Uncanny X-Men
Uncanny X-Force
Wolverine & the X-Men
All-New X-Men

I'll read ANYTHING by Warren Ellis, Grant Morrison, Marjorie Liu, Kat Immonen and Gail Simone

Manga wise (ongoing)
Shigeki no Kyojin
Akuma no Riddle
Sakura Trick
A Divine Love Alone
Citrus
A Virgins' Empire
Anything by Chi-Ran, Rokuroichi, Morishima Akiko, Kurogane Kenn, Takemiya Jin, Ôtomo Megane

Completed manga;

Aoi Hana
Sasameki Koto
Kashi Mashi
Loveless
Shoujo Kakumei Utena
Sailor Moon (hey... I grew up on it)
Appleseed
Ghost in the Shell
Orion

With that said, I love going back and rereading my favorite stuff, like Sandman, Alan Moore's run on Swamp Thing, Morrison's Animal Man, New X-Men, All-Star Superman, etc. I'm kinda getting worn out by the "everything must be life or death!" mindset. I think that's why I didn't even bother giving stuff like Avengers Arena a chance, I didn't want to see Battle Royale among Marvel's teen heroes.

My most worn out stuff;

Anything Hellboy/BPRD
Walt Simonson Thor Omnibus
Absolute Sandman, Death & All-Star Superman
Claremont era X-Men/Excalibur
New Mutants
Some of the weirder 90's era Marvel UK stuff like Dark Angel and Death's Head
Absolute Planetary & Authorities

I just love reading and rereading stuff, even the ****** 90's Image era.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
How far are you in One Piece? I've got the first volume and read it. Enjoyed it quite a bit but haven't purchased further items quite yet.

Volume 16.

The series is definitely an up and down series in terms of entertainment... Seems like every 5 volumes there tends to be a 1 filler volume which deviates from the original plot quite a bit. Besides that, I have quite enjoyed it.

I read Manga on my Kindle and it is a fantastic device for it. I have to up the contrast all the way and the screen doesn't have the highest resolution, but Manga still looks good and it was $50 so I can't complain.

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
Forgot to add the following:

TPB:

Rubicon (modern spin on the seven samurai's story)

68' Jungle Jim series. Pretty graphic and the story is good to boot!

Used to read the following but haven't in a while:

Vampirella
Lady Death
Evil Ernie
American Vampire

Vampirella was the first real American comic that I bought via the US Military bases. I have the Warren and Harris issues, in glorious Black and White. But it's how I got started.;)

I just love reading and rereading stuff, even the ****** 90's Image era.

I think any person from that era has at lest one box of Image comics.
They took the comic world by storm and hype in the days. I also remember the variant covers, it got so out of hand some titles had 14 different covers for one issue.:eek:

Harking back to that era, the high point of stupidity, were the Museum Editions comic books hat cost $100 each.:eek:

http://www.heroesassemble.com/museum-edition-comics-63-c.asp

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.