Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has started a new print advertising campaign for the iPhone 5s. The first spot, running on the back of this week's issue of The New Yorker, showcases the Touch ID-equipped home button of the new gold iPhone 5s.

Iphone5sad1.jpg
Your finger is the password.

Touch ID was created not only to protect all the important and personal information on your phone, but to be so easy to use, you'll actually use it. Its state-of-the-art technology learns your unique fingerprint, so you can unlock your phone or even authorize purchases with just a simple touch.

Touch ID. Only on iPhone 5s.
The spot in our image includes T-Mobile branding, but Apple's iPhone TV ads have traditionally rotated branding between all the carriers that carry the iPhone, likely as part of a co-marketing agreement.

Apple has been heavily advertising the iPhone 5c on television in recent weeks, but we have seen relatively little about the 5s, likely because of tight supplies. The print ads mention 'limited availability' of the iPhone 5s in fine print.

Update: Entertainment Weekly and Sports Illustrated are running the same ad but with Sprint co-branding, while Rolling Stone is running it with Verizon co-branding and TIME is running it with AT&T co-branding.

Article Link: First Magazine Advertisement for iPhone 5s Appears, Highlights Touch ID Sensor

Reactions: Elitegate

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
Sold out everywhere in Canada, haven't seen a single person with it. I guess only basement nerds got it.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
Now Apple, expand this sensor to eliminate all passwords for everything and that likely means opening this up to developers. It is not enough to just use it for iTunes and apps.

Those who like passwords can still use them.

tbobmccoy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2007
Austin, TX
Now Apple, expand this sensor to eliminate all passwords for everything and that likely means opening this up to developers. It is not enough to just use it for iTunes and apps.

This is a privacy concern, which is why Apple limited it to Apple apps.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Damn, that is one foine-ass device...

Hardware wise, it can't be faulted (inb4 'hurr durr it doesn't have a 50" screen like my Samsung ProG ScreenX Allmighty). However, software wise, it's absolute gash. The 5s doesn't feel quicker than the 5, even though it is. My complaints with iOS 7 aren't with the icons; it's the animations. Slow them right down and you'll see how sloppy they are -- subconsciously that sinks in. Plus it's still buggy, and it's really not optimised for 64-bit.

They ruined a perfect device with abysmal software. There's no consistency to the UI and it lacks the 'fit and finish' Apple are so renowned for.

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA

This is likely the plan when iCloud Keychain is released.

johnhw

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009

There will be no privacy concern. TouchID is handled OS-level, not app-level. The app won't be able to get that information because it's OS-level.

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
If it only worked for iTunes purchases. Every time I buy something it asks me to enter my 36 character password. Sooo much fun.:mad::rolleyes:

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL

They could definitely provide validation through a public API that doesn't directly expose any info - just a simple boolean IsFPValidated or something to that effect. I'm pretty confident this will happen in the 7.x version of iOS. :)

blue22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
lovely product...

This kinda looks like an ad straight from the 1980s, but hey less is more. :cool:

darcyf

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2011
Toronto, ON
I found Touch ID to be a little touch and go there for the first week I had my 5s, but then I recalled Gruber's 5s review and his tip about wanting to have the entire ring around the home button covered by your fingerprint. When I adhere to this, the accuracy of Touch ID is truly impressive. Not to mention the speed. A very impressive and yet humble piece of tech.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
Sold out everywhere in Canada, haven't seen a single person with it. I guess only basement nerds got it.

I just picked up a silver one at futureshop the other day, just called and they had one, got them to hold it and then went in so they could do my hardware upgrade

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
I found Touch ID to be a little touch and go there for the first week I had my 5s, but then I recalled Gruber's 5s review and his tip about wanting to have the entire ring around the home button covered by your fingerprint. When I adhere to this, the accuracy of Touch ID is truly impressive. Not to mention the speed. A very impressive and yet humble piece of tech.

I find it works amazingly well and doesn't much matter how I touch it, may it makes a difference person to person on how well it works. Its an awesome feature the only issue I have is I can't seem to get it to work for my app store purchases even though its turned on for them it always makes me type my password

Parzival

macrumors regular
May 12, 2013
Hardware wise, it can't be faulted (inb4 'hurr durr it doesn't have a 50" screen like my Samsung ProG ScreenX Allmighty). However, software wise, it's absolute gash. The 5s doesn't feel quicker than the 5, even though it is. My complaints with iOS 7 aren't with the icons; it's the animations. Slow them right down and you'll see how sloppy they are -- subconsciously that sinks in. Plus it's still buggy, and it's really not optimised for 64-bit.

They ruined a perfect device with abysmal software. There's no consistency to the UI and it lacks the 'fit and finish' Apple are so renowned for.

Amen to that.

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Touch ID was created not only to protect all the important and personal information on your phone, but to be so easy to use, you'll actually use it.

Except when you haven't bought an app in 24 hours, then we are going to need you to enter your password again.
Thanksomuch!

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
the ad does not mention that Touch ID was hacked only a few days after the release of the iphone :D :p :rolleyes:

Cloning a fingerprint to work on a fingerprint scanner isn't 'hacking'. Learning somebody's password and using that to login to their computer isn't 'hacking'.

Exploiting a bug in Apple's system to have the TouchID unlock when you whistle a certain tune to it: that's closer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.