Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

strauss884

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2013
This drive has been reading and transferring to my imac great, but haven't been able to write to it yet.

rdsatkaycee

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2013
lg burner

fyi,I am not a mac user just wanted to add info which may or may not help. I am on my fourth unit on this. I want it to work so badly, best buy is close, and they're still returning them to me. I am having the same problem VERY erratic behavior. Depends on the time of day. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't LG tech service is totally worthless. they said the problem was because I was using the same drive as the destination drive, then said software, then said diskcs, etc. Wish I could figure it out!?!?!?!

barokt

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2011
i'm really curious about Blu-Ray burning times with this drives.
The portable drives are all of them is 6X and also empty 25GB Blu-Ray discs
support 6X speed.
But specially LG BE14NU40 BR burning speed is 14X,
BR discs top speed are 6X am i wrong?
Then why am i gonna buy this $150 LG instead of other 80$-100$ portable ones.
If anyone help me is this situation i'm really appreciated.
Also i cannot find any document or spec sheet about 25GB BR disc burning times. Like LG BE14NU40: 25GB=....min.

rdsatkaycee

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2013
update

fyi---making inroads. tonight data transferr 4 blu ray movies one after another using windows file explorer to transfer the movies by just drag and copy. EACHtime there was failure early on using usb 3 cable supplied with burner. each time back to back switched to usb 2 cable and beango, file transfer success!!! Seems to be big time communication problem using the usb 3 cable!!!!

boogieman

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2004
I am interested in this drive for my 2012 imac. Would you recommend it or not? I just sent back the asus usb 3.0 couldnt get it to stay reliable for burns.

boogieman

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2004
I am interested in this drive for my 2012 imac. Would you recommend it or not? I just sent back the asus usb 3.0 couldnt get it to stay reliable for burns.

Well to answer my own question.... I picked one up today at Worst Buy brought it home and have burnt several blu ray movies and data along with some dvd and cd's and not one coaster.. I have this attached to a 2012 Imac I7.

ptesone

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2009
I got this same BR burner from BB.
I have a 2011 iMac. (USB2) Running ML 10.8.3
I am able to play Blu Ray movies fine.
I am able to burn Blu Ray Data/Movie's fine.
(I used Simply Burns for my main burning app)
-and Final Cut X for making a Blu Ray disc projects - which all burnt well.
using Verbatim BD-R 6X discs.

The only problem is when I try burning a DVD - sometimes it starts but mostly it just says: "starting burn. . ." -and that's all it does.
I've tried Everything (but Disk Utility) to burn DVD's, no biggie tho since I got it to burn Blu Ray's not DVD's, I can use internal for that. . .

LG don't know what they're talking about- it's totally compatible with mac's IMHO

ColdZero

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2002
Just wanted to chime in. Switching from the included usb3 cable to a regular usb2 cable all my problems went away. Before the switch I couldn't read a full bluray or install windows in bootcamp. Haven't tried another usb3 cable yet.

ptesone

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2009
Just wanted to chime in. Switching from the included usb3 cable to a regular usb2 cable all my problems went away. Before the switch I couldn't read a full bluray or install windows in bootcamp. Haven't tried another usb3 cable yet.

Hey- I didn't know you could use a USB 2 cable on a USB 3 port- I'll have to give that a shot, thx for the info!

:)

bluesteel

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2007
Earth
just picked up an LG BE14NU40 from best buy on sale for ripping my blu-ray movies for AppleTV3 playback. every time i try and rip with MakeMKV or Pavtube Blu-ray Ripper, i get errors, crashing, etc. didn't understand why until i read this thread. from what i understand here, its the USB 3.0 connection and compatibility issues with OSX. haven't tried a USB 2.0 cable. i'll be returning this nice looking unit back to best buy. sucks...i really wanted this slick BE14NU40 to work :)

M.D. Sullivan

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Mechanical problems with LG BE14NU40, normal?

I have a question about the BE14NU40. I purchased it last evening to use with my new 27" and it seemed to work ok.

My problems are mechanical not performance.

I burned a couple of CD's with no problem. I was tired and didn't pay much attention to the details. It seems to me that I was able open and close the drive door with Keyboard eject key but know I'm not sure.

Tonight I installed Mac Blueray and I noticed that I'm not able to eject the disk after playing it. Dragging the disk to the trash does not eject it and neither does pressing the eject button on the BE14NU40. I have to power the drive off and on to eject.

Is this one of the problems the rest of you are having? Is the drive supposed to open and close with keyboard disk eject?

Thanks for any advise.

bluesteel

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2007
Earth
I have a question about the BE14NU40. I purchased it last evening to use with my new 27" and it seemed to work ok.

Is this one of the problems the rest of you are having? Is the drive supposed to open and close with keyboard disk eject?

Thanks for any advise.

when i owned the BE14NU40, i was not able to eject any disc from my mac...instead i had to eject directly from the drive's eject button. since the drive isn't officially supported under OSX, i'm not so sure the mac is suppose to be capable of ejecting a disc inside the drive.

are you using the drive with USB 2.0 on a USB 2.0 mac? before i returned mine, i was able to play blu-ray movies just fine with the Mac Blu-ray Player, but i ran into issues when trying to rip my blu-ray movies with MakeMKV and Pavtube Blu-ray Ripper.

btbrossard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Chicagoland
As an update - the LG BE14NU40 has worked great for me so far (I've had it for several months now).

I use it with my iMac (specs below) and haven't had any problems. I've ripped all of my blu ray discs into iTunes with it (via Make MKV) and burned at least 10 blu ray discs for backups of photos. The only complaint I would have is that the drive is pretty loud when burning blu rays.

I don't think I've ever tried using the eject key on the keyboard, but I don't have any problems ejecting the disc by dragging it to the trash in the finder.

MstrPBK

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2008
St. Paul, MN
I am looking at acquiring this drive but a single question lingers. I know full well that Apple does not support the playing Blu-ray disks/movies natively - so what third party players do you people use? Does the "Mac Blu-Ray Player" driver work with the LG BE14NU40?

MstrPBK
St. Paul, MN USA

stormcooper

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2013
Texas
I purchased this LG BE14 and had the same issues with failed rips, crashing plays, and dismounting. I tried the easiest recommended solution first. After downgrading the supplied USB 3.0 cable with a USB 2.0 cable I already had... All the problems vanished, and it works fine now. The supplied cable is crap. Ditch it.

Gummiwise

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2013
2012 27" iMac 3.4 gHz / 16 gig / 3 TB Fusion drive user also having the disconnect issues in both OS X and Windows 8 Bootcamp. Also downgraded to USB 2.0 and no more issues, sad but true. I am so glad that I visited this forum.

Thank you everyone.

retired shutter

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2013
Burning with BE14NU40

Connect drive as in diagram, do not install software from disk supplied. Download "Quick Blue-ray Creator" from Apple store (costs 20 dollars). Follow instructions of this software to move files to window of software. I used it with MOV files. The time to convert and burn is long, but it works and the picture quality is great. Unless you have software installed to watch Blue-ray, you need to put the finished disk into a Blue-ray player and watch on TV or Video-Projector. Good Luck!

Brescian

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2013
Does it work with USB3? Does it play 3D? Does it do triple and quadruple layer?

A few different questions.

1. It seems that everyone who has had issues with this drive fixed them by either returning a defective drive or by switching from the included usb3 cable to a usb2 cable.
One of the reasons I am interested in this drive is that it is usb3 compatible. Has anyone tried using a functional/different usb3 cabe with it and gotten it to work over usb3?

2. Does this drive read/write to BD-R triple and quadruple layer and BD-RE triple layer (there is no BD-RE quadruple layer)? I assume from what I've read that it does double layer in both formats.

3. Will this drive play 3D blu-ray? I've seen others say that it does.

4. And while I am on the above topic will any external blu-ray drive read 3D discs assuming that your computer has the requisite hardware and software for processing and outputting 3D blu-ray to a TV or projector?
Some external blu-ray drives are advertised as playing 3D discs while some are not but it seems to me that the ones advertised as playing 3D discs just come with windows software that reads 3D discs.
Since MAC users aren't able to use the bundled windows software anyway shouldn't you be able to buy any external blu-ray player and play 3D discs after downloading blu-ray player software for MAC?
Is there any actual hardware difference between external blu-ray drives that are advertised as 3D capable and ones that aren't?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.