Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacPC

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2006
Are you serious? I've experienced abysmal AirPrint performance with the J430W. Completely unreliable. Sometimes the iPads pick it up, sometimes they don't. I ended up just deleting all the WiFi information and using Printopia instead (defeats the purpose of AirPrint, but at least it works). Printing from iOS devices is rock solid now, no thanks to my supossed "AirPrint compatible" printer from Brother.

If I had it to do over I would buy any other brand but Brother.

Never again.

Oh really? It has been very reliable for me. Did you update to their latest framework? Also I am not sure if the router has anything to do with it, but just FYI, I have a run of the mill Linksys router, nothing fancy, is that what you have?

marc.garcia

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2010
Hello there,

I ended up going for a Samsung 3405FW. It is a mfp (fulfills all my needs) but it does not do 2 thing I wanted: AirPrint and automatic duplex.

I worked AirPrint around using HandyPrints and if I want to print double sided I have to use manual duplexing.

I put together a excel with several models and made my choice based on it. This printer is ok in terms of physical dimensions, it features wireless and wired networking and it can be ordered in grey/white color so swmbo is happy with my choice.

This model runs for about 120€ on amazon Spain so it is a pretty good deal if you are after the same things I was.

Any questions just ask.

Regards
Quick update. Samsung recently put out an update which brings along Airprint support. This is the perfect printer for me now!!! Handyprints works just fine, but it can be a little annoying having to wake always up your Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.