Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apollo1444

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2011
mexico
I had to do an exchange of my iPhone5 due to Wifi issues and stumbled on this thread while searching for the model#.

So what I got is a A1428 with serial# ending in FH19. From reading this thread, I should have the unlocked phone with the AWS enabled.

I took the SIM card from my friend's T-Mobile iPhone5(with the signal clearly showing 4G) and popped into mine. While it definitely picked up the T-Mobile signal, it was stuck on edge with an E. Multiple reboots didn't change that. When I popped it back in my friend's iPhone, it registered 4G.

I am able to enter the field test mode, but there is no UMTS info there. What gives? What am I missing?

my new AWS iPhone says on the back that it supports 3G on AWS might want to check on the back of the case first. this serial number thing isn't too trustworthy Imho

----------

According the apple's site, nothing has changed regarding the Serial # last 4 digit combo which differentiates AWS vs Non-AWS model.

Being in Canada, I can confidently say the odds of you getting AWS model = Lower due to the fact that Wind + Mobilicity do not officially carry the AWS model and the fact that Apple's A1428 hardware model of the iPhone 5 is only sold in USA + Canada (and maybe 1-2 other countries) probably explains why you ended up with a Non-AWS model recently as Apple does not have the need to carry the AWS model there, hence they probably dumping their old stock of new phones that they cannot issue out as replacements within USA (as T-Mobile requires AWS and Apple knows best to replace old AT&T models with added T-Mobile compatibility).

I live in mexico and all phones in premium retailers and carrier stores are already aws 3g compatible I've been reading the labels on the box lately (it says on the back where the label is). the old model was definitely discotinued. he probably got unlucky there with a replacement.

jjjoseph

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2013
What am I missing?

I am hoping to switch to T-Mobile soon for financial reasons. I live in a major city with LTE on T-Mobile.

Reading through this forum there is a lot of technical information about bandwidths and HSPDA+, etc.... Getting the correct iPhone 5 for T-Mobile etc..

I have an ATT unlocked iPhone 5, MODEL A1428, the ending serial is DTTN. I bought in November 2012, so their is no way I have an IDEAL iPhone 5 for T-Mobile. So I assume..

What am I going to be missing not having the idea iPhone for T-Mobile? Dropped Calls, no data, irregular downloads?

Is it just too much of a hassle not to have the ideal T-Mobile iPhone?

Should I just get another phone?

Thank You.

ipaclansite

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2011
If you live in an area covered with good LTE coverage then you wont really notice a difference. As far as I remember, everything is the same between the two phones except that your phone will be missing the 1700/2100 band. If your city has T-Mobile 4G shown on coverage maps, you won't be able to access their 4G network, but the fact that you are covered with LTE shouldn't really matter since its the faster network anyway.

What may matter is if you head toward the outskirts of the city where you may lose LTE coverage, you will drop all the way down to EDGE service. Where as the ideal T-Mobile iPhone may receive the 4G coverage. Unless you live in an area where T-Mobile has refarmed their network (where they are adding 21Mbps support in the 1900 band which is on all iPhones), that will be a huge drop in speeds when you travel.

It goes like this
LTE > 4G (42Mbps) > 4G (21Mbps) > EDGE

Your iPhone wont be able to access the 42Mbps Network. If you know your area is refarmed, then you will get the 21Mbps network. The "ideal" T-Mobile iPhone 5 will be able to access all 4 and select the one with the strongest signal.

I would suggest you give it a try to see if you experience any sharp decreases in speed, in places where T-Mobile has marked that there is 4G coverage. That way you will know if you need to swap the phone out with a T-Mobile one. I personally do think its a hassle to get another phone, especially if you have to sell/buy it again in the wake of the iPhone 5S release.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
would a iphone 5 atat 32gb ending serial number is DTTR

will i get 4g or lte?

thanks

You will get 4G in 1900Mhz Areas only (Note 1700/2100 AWS T-Mobile coverage is greater

You will get LTE everywhere/anywhere T-Mobile has it just as you would with a T-Mobile specific ending Serial # iPhone 5

Jawnskeel

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2010
I just the other day learned that the T-mobile iPhone 5 hardware was now identical to the AT&T and Unlocked offerings. I went to an Apple store, complained about getting edge where other unlocked phones are getting 4G on the same network. This warranted a "reset network settings" by the "genius". I left, went to another Apple store which was also on the way home. I told him straight up I found an article that indicated what could be the issue, showed him the apple support page, and without hesitation he suggested we replace the device. I had some wear and tear on my iPhone but they still went ahead and replaced for a mint looking one -- which could have actually been a box iPhone 5 that apple wasn't able to sell :D

Thank you thread!

lgfaver

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2011
Hello everyone, I've been reading this thread for a couple of hours now and though I didn't read all of it, I guess it's easier to just post my question...

I have an AT&T iPhone 5 that I just unlocked to get it running on T-Mobile. modek NE487LL/A, serial number ends in FH1C.
I've been able to pick up 4G but it is very VERY weak... LTE comes and goes and for the most part doesn't pick it(goes back to 4G). Before this I had a Z10 and a Q10 (both Tmobile branded) and I was getting better signal.

My question is, do I have the "ideal iphone" everyone is saying is optimized for Tmobile use or should I try to exchange it at an apple store like the poster above me did?

Thanks for your time =D

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
Hello everyone, I've been reading this thread for a couple of hours now and though I didn't read all of it, I guess it's easier to just post my question...

I have an AT&T iPhone 5 that I just unlocked to get it running on T-Mobile. modek NE487LL/A, serial number ends in FH1C.
I've been able to pick up 4G but it is very VERY weak... LTE comes and goes and for the most part doesn't pick it(goes back to 4G). Before this I had a Z10 and a Q10 (both Tmobile branded) and I was getting better signal.

My question is, do I have the "ideal iphone" everyone is saying is optimized for Tmobile use or should I try to exchange it at an apple store like the poster above me did?

Thanks for your time =D

You have the ideal iPhone 5 - It is a 100% AWS Compatible.

May just be the coverage your in - Its possible it was better before as the towers can be having some issues or they can be doing some upgrades.

lgfaver

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2011
You have the ideal iPhone 5 - It is a 100% AWS Compatible.

May just be the coverage your in - Its possible it was better before as the towers can be having some issues or they can be doing some upgrades.
awesome! thanks for the quick response =D
It's weird that I used an online unlocking service that said would take 24 hrs, yet it was almost instantaneous. I didn't even have to connect it to iTunes like I had seen in a bunch of Youtuve videos. Now this... Guess I'm in luck.

Should I try to exchange it for a mint looking one @ the apple store? This one is used and has some wear'n'tear. I just bought it on Sunday. I don't think it still has warranty.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
awesome! thanks for the quick response =D
It's weird that I used an online unlocking service that said would take 24 hrs, yet it was almost instantaneous. I didn't even have to connect it to iTunes like I had seen in a bunch of Youtuve videos. Now this... Guess I'm in luck.

Should I try to exchange it for a mint looking one @ the apple store? This one is used and has some wear'n'tear. I just bought it on Sunday. I don't think it still has warranty.

Did u check your iPhone unlock status before purchasing the unlock service...odds are your iPhone was already unlocked....most replacements came unlocked with AWS compatibility and your iPhone is definitely a replacement being "NExxxxx".

will they replace it for you because of scuffs? no, if u have a valid reason they will.

lgfaver

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2011
Did u check your iPhone unlock status before purchasing the unlock service...odds are your iPhone was already unlocked....most replacements came unlocked with AWS compatibility and your iPhone is definitely a replacement being "NExxxxx".

will they replace it for you because of scuffs? no, if u have a valid reason they will.

I did check beforehand and it said it was locked. In fact I tried inserting a "family mobile" sim I purchased at Walmart and it wouldn't take it. I couldn't even get passed a setup screen.
Anyhow, I still don't know how but as soon as I inserted the t-Mobile sim it took it.
As for getting the phone replaced, I might have forgotten to mention, this phone is out of warranty according to Apple's website.

Dave2288

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2013
Hello all, I have just spent the last two hours reading this thread in its entirety. I admit, I have a bit of a different situation, and wondering if you think I would still be able to exchange my phone. I currently have the Verizon i5 64GB (A1429). My question is, would I be able to exchange it, or even use my Apple Care+ to replace my phone for the AWS A1428? Has anyone done this successfully? Thanks in advance.

faiz23

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2010
I got 2 original launch iphone 5's swapped out through apple in store genius bar to the new revised A1428 and really enjoying them right now. They were only 3 weeks away from warranty expiring and now due to the swap have a full 90 day apple warranty with phone support. Battery is much better compared to the 11 month old iphones and glad to know it has support for more bands on high speed data which will be a selling point next year once I upgrade to the 6.

Both phones are factory unlocked as well and currently using them with front screen protectors and 1 is in a lifeproof nuud and the other is in a 2 piece case. I never use any of the factory box accessories so those are still sealed as original. I have 1 more year of square trade left and will probably use that to swap it out one last time before I flip it so buyer has a factory fresh replacement and I get the most $$$ possible to dump into the 6.

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
I got 2 original launch iphone 5's swapped out through apple in store genius bar to the new revised A1428 and really enjoying them right now. They were only 3 weeks away from warranty expiring and now due to the swap have a full 90 day apple warranty with phone support. Battery is much better compared to the 11 month old iphones and glad to know it has support for more bands on high speed data which will be a selling point next year once I upgrade to the 6.

Both phones are factory unlocked as well and currently using them with front screen protectors and 1 is in a lifeproof nuud and the other is in a 2 piece case. I never use any of the factory box accessories so those are still sealed as original. I have 1 more year of square trade left and will probably use that to swap it out one last time before I flip it so buyer has a factory fresh replacement and I get the most $$$ possible to dump into the 6.
By then the iPhone 5 will be two generations old any many people will be selling their 5s. You will not get a high resale value.

faiz23

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2010
By then the iPhone 5 will be two generations old any many people will be selling their 5s. You will not get a high resale value.

That is fine since I have been paying $36.50 per month for my LTE service with unlimited talk and text. More than likely will be flipping the phone overseas where I will still get a decent chunk of change. I still come out ahead compared to those folks who take phone subsidies and hand over chunk of change to the big 4 carriers

Attachments

• photo (3).PNG
    photo (3).PNG
    592 KB · Views: 158

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
Hello all, I have just spent the last two hours reading this thread in its entirety. I admit, I have a bit of a different situation, and wondering if you think I would still be able to exchange my phone. I currently have the Verizon i5 64GB (A1429). My question is, would I be able to exchange it, or even use my Apple Care+ to replace my phone for the AWS A1428? Has anyone done this successfully? Thanks in advance.

No, they will only replace the exact same device that you already have. No ifs ands or buts about it.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
Without reading this entire thread... a friend of mine purchased a new sealed in box T-Mobile 5S (ME323LL/A) from swappa. IMEI came back clean, is this device unlocked out of the box? Thanks in advance.

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
Without reading this entire thread... a friend of mine purchased a new sealed in box T-Mobile 5S (ME323LL/A) from swappa. IMEI came back clean, is this device unlocked out of the box? Thanks in advance.
It depends if it was purchased from T-Mobile or the Apple store.

asfd64

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2013
This thread was really helpful, I'm not sure if many people are still looking into it but this is how it went for me. I live in Montreal and took my phone into the fairview Apple Store, told them my home button was intermittent and the vibration motor was sometimes really weak. It started about a month ago and since then I upgraded to iOS 7 fresh install (which was true and they knew that) and still had the "issues". She couldn't reproduce any issues and told me to update to iOS 7.0.3 that came out that day. I told her I was having issues of only being on Edge with T-Mobile when my friend who also bought his iPhone 5 in Montreal was on 3G. Was told since it was an issue when I was in the US I should go to the Apple store there when the problem happens so they can run a diagnostic and in the meantime reset my network settings.

The next day I went to the Apple Store Dix 30 in Brossard and told them I had issues with my phone being unresponsive with the screen and home button for about a month, it happened on iOS 6 and iOS 7 even after a fresh install. Told him I went to the Apple store yesterday and they said to reset network settings and update to 7.0.3 but I am still having the problems. He didn't even look at the phone and said ok we will change it out. He came back with the AWS iPhone 5 ending in FH1G.

I'm heading to the US today so I will see if I can finally get something other than Edge.

Thanks to everyone who posted here, it was very helpful!
Ian

h4lp m3

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
New Orleans
Hey guys, I'm trying to figure out what's going on in this thread.

I have an AT&T A1428 MD639LL/A and the serial ends with FH1C... Can I just walk into the Apple Store and trade it for a T-Mobile phone, even though there's nothing wrong with it?

MyMacRumor

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2015
About two years ago, after I learned about the exchange, I bought five AT&T iPhone 5s (not 5S) from eBay and went to Apple store and walked off with five brand new T-Mobile iPhone 5s. I had to exchange one at a time btw.

sfphoto

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2010
With a 486LL model 5 I read that one can use either AT&T or TMO - but, can one switch back and forth via sim and installing appropriate APN files from unlockit.nz?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.