Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VideoBeagle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
App Q&A testing by request.
I'm trying to get more into what I have and know for the Apple TV I'm trying out.

Handbrake has an Apple TV 3 preset...is that best to just go with that for encoding video for use?

It by default seems to go with 2 audio tracks, though they're seperate encondings of the same track...is that best?

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
I'm trying to get more into what I have and know for the Apple TV I'm trying out.

Handbrake has an Apple TV 3 preset...is that best to just go with that for encoding video for use?

It by default seems to go with 2 audio tracks, though they're seperate encondings of the same track...is that best?
You'll make your life a lot easier if you do!

I would also recommend setting video to anamorphic strict and check the Optimize for Web and make all that a custom preset.

Of course, there are exceptions to the above, but using above will give you the best quality/encoding speed combination.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Note that checking "web optimized" will increase your encoding time as the file is rewritten after the encode. Its not a huge hit but its the reason its not on by default in the hb presets. Also the stock appletv 3 preset using Loose anamorphic modulus 2 is pretty much the same as strict anamorphic.

That said, as Mic J says its pretty much as good as its gonna get for the appletv imo. Yes, you could tweak it a touch more but frankly I wouldn't and don't.

KevinC867

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Saratoga, CA
Regarding the audio tracks - I believe the MP4 format requires an AAC stereo track. The ATV3 preset also adds an AC3 5.1 channel track. That's the one you would want to use if you have a surround-sound audio system.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Regarding the audio tracks - I believe the MP4 format requires an AAC stereo track. The ATV3 preset also adds an AC3 5.1 channel track. That's the one you would want to use if you have a surround-sound audio system.

Actually there is no "requirement" for an aac track for the mp4 (.m4v) file format. But the appletv does expect one. The appletv uses the 2 channel DPL2 aac track if its connected to a non AC3 Dolby Digital capable system and automagically uses the AC3 Dolby Digital 5.1 surround track if its connected to a compatible sound system.

Basically leave the audio track setup as it is. Its what the atv expects.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Note that checking "web optimized" will increase your encoding time as the file is rewritten after the encode. Its not a huge hit but its the reason its not on by default in the hb presets. Also the stock appletv 3 preset using Loose anamorphic modulus 2 is pretty much the same as strict anamorphic.

That said, as Mic J says its pretty much as good as its gonna get for the appletv imo. Yes, you could tweak it a touch more but frankly I wouldn't and don't.
Of course, you are correct on all accounts. However, I think the small encoding time increase is well worth the frustration of not having your BR transcode hang at start on the aTV. And I know you disagree that optimization impacts that. All I want to say is, I frequently had the aTV hang when starting a transcoded BR (or at least take so long to load that I lost patience and aborted) before routinely optimizing and I have never encounter that problem since routinely optimizing. But that's anecdotal evidence. ;)

Also, I used to use loose anamorphic when the aTV3 preset first emerged. I had a video problem on a couple transcodes which were fixed by using anamorphic strict....which I believe you used to recommend using before the aTV3 preset was published. And I don't think you gain much from using loose anamorphic.

But these are all kind of nit-picky modifications.

As always...I defer to the Master!! :D

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Of course, you are correct on all accounts. However, I think the small encoding time increase is well worth the frustration of not having your BR transcode hang at start on the aTV. And I know you disagree that optimization impacts that. All I want to say is, I frequently had the aTV hang when starting a transcoded BR (or at least take so long to load that I lost patience and aborted) before routinely optimizing and I have never encounter that problem since routinely optimizing. But that's anecdotal evidence. ;)

Oh, I didn't mean to suggest it wasn't beneficial I was just pointing out that it does increase the encoding time a bit. Personally I use it (or do it after in subler when I tag my movies). Both handbrake and subler "optimize" exactly the same way.

Also, I used to use loose anamorphic when the aTV3 preset first emerged. I had a video problem on a couple transcodes which were fixed by using anamorphic strict....which I believe you used to recommend using before the aTV3 preset was published. And I don't think you gain much from using loose anamorphic.
Yes, true. The other presets besides ATV3 use loose mod 16. Loose mod 2 is much the same as strict. But as you said its small stuff. Certainly your advice is spot on as usual :) . Good stuff!

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Oh, I didn't mean to suggest it wasn't beneficial I was just pointing out that it does increase the encoding time a bit. Personally I use it (or do it after in subler when I tag my movies). Both handbrake and subler "optimize" exactly the same way.

Yes, true. The other presets besides ATV3 use loose mod 16. Loose mod 2 is much the same as strict. But as you said its small stuff. Certainly your advice is spot on as usual :) . Good stuff!
Just so everyone knows...all that "spot on advice" was learned from reading your posts in this forum. Credit where credit is due. :)

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
May I ask, what's the benefit of using anamorphic picture on :apple:TV 3, instead of Anamorphic=None?

VideoBeagle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
App Q&A testing by request.
Thanks for the info.

Could someone explain more in detail about the "optimze for web" option and the benefits of it? (longer encoding time doesn't mean much to me...1) SUPER FAST i7 iMAC BWHAHAH@!!!! er.. but 2) I set up a queue, then go to bed and/or work...so 30 minutes, 60 minutes, 90 minutes..all the same if i'm not using the mac :D )

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Thanks for the info.

Could someone explain more in detail about the "optimze for web" option and the benefits of it? (longer encoding time doesn't mean much to me...1) SUPER FAST i7 iMAC BWHAHAH@!!!! er.. but 2) I set up a queue, then go to bed and/or work...so 30 minutes, 60 minutes, 90 minutes..all the same if i'm not using the mac :D )
It moves a packet of information that is needed to begin file playback, from the end of the file to the beginning. It was really developed as an aid to quicken the start of files that were to be internet streamed, thus "Optimize for Web". It has no impact on image quality and really doesn't do much for smaller file sizes (dvd) as those files completely buffer on the aTV very quickly.

ScousePete

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2012
VideoDrive

Not sure if it's been mentioned here already, but for one-click encoding, detailing and adding to the library I use VideoDrive. I really like it.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Anyone want to just upload their Handbrake AppleTV 3 settings file for the rest of us to just use it instead of having to manually set all of our settings?

Thanks!

If it won't let you post it here, PM me and I'll give my email ;-)

slothrob

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2007
Anyone want to just upload their Handbrake AppleTV 3 settings file for the rest of us to just use it instead of having to manually set all of our settings?

Thanks!

If it won't let you post it here, PM me and I'll give my email ;-)
There's nothing much to upload. Use the aTV3 preset. Check Web Optimized and Strick Anamorphic, if you wish.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
There's nothing much to upload. Use the aTV3 preset. Check Web Optimized and Strick Anamorphic, if you wish.

Mine doesn't have an AppleTV 3 preset, even my ATV2 preset I had to config. Can you reply to my PM and send it?

westrock2000

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
Mine doesn't have an AppleTV 3 preset, even my ATV2 preset I had to config. Can you reply to my PM and send it?

I recommend using the "nightly" version. It usually has some newer features not found in the standard release. I've been using nightlies for about a year, and the only bug I have seen is on Windows version where the "Browse" button for output file name crashes. But you can manually insert the path just as easy.

http://handbrake.fr/nightly.php

slothrob

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2007
I didn't get a PM, but there's nothing to send that isn't already in Handbreak. Just download the latest version from http://handbrake.fr/downloads.php. If you still don't have the preset, go to the preset list in Handbreak, open Options, and try "reset built-in presets".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.