Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Previse

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2012
I can't be the only one who's hoping and waiting for a Haswell Mac Mini. Anyone else?

What i HOPE:
- i7 w/ IP5200
- Thunderbolt 2
- Remove Firewire in place of another TB port

What is more visible:
- i7 W/ HD4600 (MAYBE 5100)
- Thunderbolt port in place of Firewire

Anyone else' Thoughts / Hopes?

mdgm

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2010
I think your "visible" predictions are more likely to be accurate. Thunderbolt 2 is unlikely in my view. Removal of Firewire port and adding a second Thunderbolt is likely (if you need firewire there is an adapter for it).

Apple normally waits for new models to be released before adjusting prices for currency fluctuations yet they put the price of the Mac Mini up when the iMac was released. I don't think a Mac Mini update is imminent though if the Mac Mini is updated I might get one later this year. My 09 minis still work but they are getting a bit old and can't handle as high quality video as my 2011 Mac Mini Server.

opinio

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2013
I can't be the only one who's hoping and waiting for a Haswell Mac Mini. Anyone else?

What i HOPE:
- i7 w/ IP5200
- Thunderbolt 2
- Remove Firewire in place of another TB port

What is more visible:
- i7 W/ HD4600 (MAYBE 5100)
- Thunderbolt port in place of Firewire

Anyone else' Thoughts / Hopes?

You're not the only one hoping but you are certainly the only one believing it might happen :)

No chance at all that the mini will be released on 22. The new MBP and Mavericks have to come out and settle in first.

Melchett

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2013
I talked to the premium retailer in my country and he said that mac minis are not going to be upgraded. He was confident that mac minis are not going to be mentioned today.

But then again, I am in India. So take my words with a ton of salt.

CoolHotCold

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2009
I believe it may get a refresh to bring it in line with the rest of the lineup with haswell, but little else will change.

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
I hope Intel has Rockwell ready soon. I have no interest in Haswell. I want to proceed to 14nm and gain some real power with the mini.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011

In the short-term: a refreshed MacMini released at the same time as the Pro might distract potential new Pro customers who just want a 'headless' machine with a decent CPU, better graphics than the current mini and dual monitor support. Long term, self-cannibalising isn't such a problem for Apple, but when you have a brand new product line you want to give it a clear run for a few months.

Or, to put it more brutally, lets see how many MacMini customers get fed up waiting for the refresh and buy a Pro...

This depends on the pricing of the Mac Pro. It may be $3000+ only true Pros need apply, but true Pros will be waiting for things like improved OpenCL support in third party apps and a better range of non-vapourware TB peripherals (...and a few won't ever be convinced to give up their big box o' slots) and won't be queueing up to buy on day 1. If I were Apple - given this new Pro is supposed to be much simpler to manufacture - I'd be looking at pricing it lower than the current Pro to attract new "prosumer" customers who might not strictly need Xeon/FirePro.

I wouldn't bet too much on it, but I still think there's an outside chance of the Pro coming out at ~$2000 (so you've got enough change from the cost of an Old Pro to get a nice external HD rack).

Other issue: Thunderbolt 2. Intel said that the TB2 chipset will only be available in small numbers at the end of this year, scaling up in 2014. With every Mac Pro needing 3x TB2 controllers, I think that's where Apple will be putting whatever supplies they can get this year. So I don't think we're going to see TB2 in anything other than the Pro until about next summer.

Also, that may mean that its not worth (e.g.) re-designing the Mac Mini mainboard until they're ready to go to TB2.

mdgm

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2010
Expect Broadwell for mobile in 2015, Desktop late 2014.

The Mini uses mobile CPUs so if that prediction is true after the Haswell update there might not be an update of the Mini till 2015 which would give Apple further reasons to possibly delay the release of the Haswell Mini till next year.

CoolHotCold

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2009
Prehaps, but I personally don't see it.

I think (and we will find out in 6 hours or so) that the mini will be refreshed today to bring it in line with the rest of the lineup with Haswell processors. It removes a purchasing decision from consumers to wait or not and Apple will get a bigger discount on the list price by buying haswell instead of Ivy.

If they don't then I have no idea what they are doing.

ioannis2005gr

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2013
Europe
I hope Intel has Rockwell ready soon. I have no interest in Haswell. I want to proceed to 14nm and gain some real power with the mini.

If a new Mac mini delays more than 6-8 months, I will absolutely agree with you!:rolleyes:

----------

I believe it may get a refresh to bring it in line with the rest of the lineup with haswell, but little else will change.

Not today....possibly in 1-2 weeks ...silently!

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
I'm hoping they redesign it sooner rather than later.

My ideal image of a Mac Mini is something about the size of an Apple TV or Intel's NUC, and cost just $499.

niic

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2013
Although I have my doubts whether or not the Mac Mini will make an appearance today, I really hope for these two things:
· It will be updated to include Iris Pro graphics, at least as an option.
· Jony Ive hasn't touched it. I don't want a 20%-thinner/20%-more-useless machine.

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
Although I have my doubts whether or not the Mac Mini will make an appearance today, I really hope for these two things:
· It will be updated to include Iris Pro graphics, at least as an option.
· Jony Ive hasn't touched it. I don't want a 20%-thinner/20%-more-useless machine.

Most people haven't a clue what Iris Pro is. They only care what they can do with something for money spent, and in that sense it changes almost nothing. The Mini needs to be a full fledged ULV device to make room for a better performing mid-range product, and not some half-baked high priced mobile mutant desktop.

hudson1

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2012
Most people haven't a clue what Iris Pro is. They only care what they can do with something for money spent, and in that sense it changes almost nothing. The Mini needs to be a full fledged ULV device to make room for a better performing mid-range product, and not some half-baked high priced mobile mutant desktop.

The iMac is the mid-range product. Oh... I like the specs of the mini as they are. It's an excellent photo editing computer.

scenemissing

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2010
I'd be perfectly happy with Intel 5000 series graphics and a PCI-E SSD like they are putting in the new iMacs. 1 SSD slot, 1 2.5" bay.

ioannis2005gr

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2013
Europe
I'd be perfectly happy with Intel 5000 series graphics and a PCI-E SSD like they are putting in the new iMacs. 1 SSD slot, 1 2.5" bay.

HD5000 graphics? maybe for a mobile i5 Haswell Mac Mini...

...but if you expect a mobile i7 quad-core Haswell BTO Mac Mini, then HD4600 graphics is the only acceptable solution (mini case allows TDP MAX. only 45W).

Iris 5100 or HD5000 graphics can be combined with mobile i7 dual-core Haswell processors or if you prefer mobile i7 quad-core Haswell processor in your BTO Mac Mini, you will find HD4600 graphics...

...unless APPLE accepts a MAX TDP of 47W in their 45W Mini case....in this case, Iris Pro 5200 might be an option....

Let's wait and see...:cool:

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
In the short-term: a refreshed MacMini released at the same time as the Pro might distract potential new Pro customers
I wouldn't bet too much on it, but I still think there's an outside chance of the Pro coming out at ~$2000
So I don't think we're going to see TB2 in anything other than the Pro until about next summer.

Heck, Tim - why didn't you announce a new Mini, then my humiliation would be complete. :rolleyes:

Previse

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2012
That was generally depressing .. No mac mini refresh .. still on ivy, i guess ill just get a 500gb ssd and throw it in my ivy until broadwell comes out

ioannis2005gr

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2013
Europe
That was generally depressing .. No mac mini refresh .. still on ivy, i guess ill just get a 500gb ssd and throw it in my ivy until broadwell comes out

Don't panic!

Simply, wait for a couple of weeks (a silent update is coming) and then decide...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.