Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

naughtynumber9

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2012
Something tells me that Apple is less worried about selling one of their own devices over the other than losing revenue to Google or Amazon who already have retina equivalent 7" screens with fantastic hardware and prices. If Apple doesn't come out with retina this time I think they can kiss the 7" market goodbye. They will, they don't have a choice.

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
A7 has enough horsepower to run the retina without being an "x" version.

But can the A7 drive a camry?

----------

Smaller, with the the same resolution panel, means higher PPI, means smaller pixels, means you need more backlight power to achieve the same brightness.

A7X is on new 28nm process, by all accounts, it's a source of the iPhone 5S supply constraint.

Launching 2 new highvolume products on this already constrained process seems unlikely.

A6X on old process seems more likely, but it's not super power efficient. I imagine they need to work some engineering magic to achieve slim and battery life.

I suspect it's going to get thicker like IPad 3 Retina did.

----------

Interesting. So would the old A6 from the iPhone 5. It's at least as powerful as the A5X I think used in the iPad 3.

And it's low power. Interesting. Also that chip production line has no constraints on it like the new A7 line does with iPhone 5S and iPad 5. That makes a lot of sense.

I bet the iPad Mini2 Retina gets upgraded to plain A6. iOS7 will get further iPad optimizations, and it will continue to limp along. iOS8 will tax it, and it will have a short life like the iPad 3 had.

I don't think any of this is right at all. It's either A6x or A7 or A7x.

I personally think it'll get the A7. But many people seem to be against this. If it for some reason can't drive retina then it's out, but it makes perfect sense for battery life and performance. The A6x would kill battery life, I don't think that would really be an option. Going from a very efficient A5, to an A6x with retina display would cut battery life by 30% or more. Either they'd have to make it thicker (I highly doubt they'd do that for a mini) or they'd just put the newer chip in there, for similar/better performance, while not destroying battery. Makes sense.

Also there's probably a reason why Kuo predicts an A7x in both the iPad 5 and iPad mini

xNYMetsx

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2013
In my opinion, it's better they don't use a Retina display if the battery life will drop too low. I think the Mini currently trumps all the other tablets' battery life.

I see your point but the screen is so bad. Going from a high resolution phone to a low resolution tablet is awful. Nothing good is going to come out of a non-Retina iPad mini 2. They'll be slammed by consumers and the media once again.

----------

It seems that Apple may have avoided the retina display originally due to its higher cost. Maintaining high gross profits are the hallmark of Apples success. Proving they can sell the mini with its current low res display has reinforced Apple's track record. I see no reason to go to retina for at least one or two more generations. Especially since the mini's have already eaten into iPad 4 sales.

If you aren't aware, the Nexus 7 2 was released recently with a substantially higher resolution display. As a consumer currently wanting to buy a tablet, I'm looking for the best product. Right now it's looking like the Nexus 7, it's beats the iPad in every hardware category (not to mention price.) Sorry Apple but releasing the iPad mini without a Retina display in the first place was a horrible idea.

Don't try to defend Apple either. Apple was slammed last year by the media and consumers and it's only going to get worse. Having a screen resolution this low in this current day of age isn't right.

----------

Something tells me that Apple is less worried about selling one of their own devices over the other than losing revenue to Google or Amazon who already have retina equivalent 7" screens with fantastic hardware and prices. If Apple doesn't come out with retina this time I think they can kiss the 7" market goodbye. They will, they don't have a choice.

Completely agree.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
I see your point but the screen is so bad. Going from a high resolution phone to a low resolution tablet is awful. Nothing good is going to come out of a non-Retina iPad mini 2. They'll be slammed by consumers and the media once again.
I don't disagree. The screen is really bad, but if the battery life were to drop to only a few hours, then it would be slammed in that regard -- and I think it would be worse, because previously the mini had good battery life.

TTMax

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2011
With Amazon and Google having hi-res 7 inch tablets, there is zero chance that Apple will release an iPad mini 2 with a 1024x768 resolution - they would be the laughing stock of the tablet world. If they have to wait until 2014 to get the weight and size right, they will. Having used the mini extensively however, an extra mm and a few more grams to squeeze a retina display (and a decent battery) in wouldn't be a problem for me.

Carl Sagan

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2011
The Universe
They need a retina iPad mini rant section or topic on this forum. :rolleyes:

Ain't that the truth.

The OP is clearly mental if he thinks Apple would never canniblise their products.

----------

With Amazon and Google having hi-res 7 inch tablets, there is zero chance that Apple will release an iPad mini 2 with a 1024x768 resolution - they would be the laughing stock of the tablet world. If they have to wait until 2014 to get the weight and size right, they will. Having used the mini extensively however, an extra mm and a few more grams to squeeze a retina display (and a decent battery) in wouldn't be a problem for me.

Well quite. They bulked up the iPad 2 to 3 to add retina so I don't think it'd be an issue...

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
Why would they have to kiss the 7" market goodbye? Apples global market share is way beyond healthy for the iPad and iPhone.

moblessed17

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2011
South Florida
Let me repeat that. The iPad mini 2 will NOT have retina display. Here is why:

1. If they put a retina display in it, their only screen resolution choice is the resolution of the iPad 4. If they do that the iPad mini's will have a higher ppi than the iPad 4 making it even better than bigger iPad. That is never happening. Apple will never compromise their high end product like that or people who buy the more premium product will start complaining that their display is inferior. The only way the iPad mini gets a retina screen is if the bigger iPad doubles its pixels from its current level and that ain't happening for a few years for technical and economic reasons.

2. Squeezing a retina display on the mini for the next generation will cause heating and battery life issues, possibly forcing Apple to make the mini thicker and heavier (because battery technology just isn't there). That is a design path I bet Apple will never go towards again. The iPad 3 was a mistake and everyone knows it. iPad 4 is a minor patch work job to fix that somewhat. iPad 5 will be the best big iPad ever. It will be thinner and lighter than the 3/4.

So the bottom line is, iPad mini is not getting a retina display for a couple more generations at least. People need to start accepting that.

=======

I am going to add what I posted in my 3rd post here. People keep just referring to my OP, when I put in a lot more details in my subsequent posts to justify my line of thinking:

vvvvvvvvvvv

Are you even familiar with Apple's pixel doubling strategy to maintain app backwards compatibility? I am thinking you don't. Apple will not pick an arbitrary higher resolution screen out of thin air. It is double or nothing. Doubling the iPad 4's 2048-by-1536 is not happening any time soon. Please read my 1st and 2nd posts.

----------

Here we go again. I repeat Apple will NOT pick an arbitrary resolution like that out of thin air! When will people start realizing that? They are stuck with these multiples:
1024-by-768
2048-by-1536
4096-by-3072
--> NOT HAPPENING ANY TIME IN THE NEAR FUTURE!

I repeat, these are the only resolutions possible on both the larger iPad and the smaller iPad to maintain app compatibility. Apple will not deviate from this.

----------

This below spec sheet is from the Apple website. The iPad mini is not getting a retina screen (2048-by-1536) unless the larger iPad gets a 4096-by-3072 screen because Apple CANNOT have a lower PPI screen on their more premium device. That is never going to happen.

The iPad mini's only screen choice to go retina is (2048-by-1536). I hope people stop throwing random higher resolution screen sizes around. Apple can never break apps backward compatibility.

Lol.

mufadal84

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2010
Let me repeat that. The iPad mini 2 will NOT have retina display. Here is why:

1. If they put a retina display in it, their only screen resolution choice is the resolution of the iPad 4. If they do that the iPad mini's will have a higher ppi than the iPad 4 making it even better than bigger iPad. That is never happening. Apple will never compromise their high end product like that or people who buy the more premium product will start complaining that their display is inferior. The only way the iPad mini gets a retina screen is if the bigger iPad doubles its pixels from its current level and that ain't happening for a few years for technical and economic reasons.

2. Squeezing a retina display on the mini for the next generation will cause heating and battery life issues, possibly forcing Apple to make the mini thicker and heavier (because battery technology just isn't there). That is a design path I bet Apple will never go towards again. The iPad 3 was a mistake and everyone knows it. iPad 4 is a minor patch work job to fix that somewhat. iPad 5 will be the best big iPad ever. It will be thinner and lighter than the 3/4.

So the bottom line is, iPad mini is not getting a retina display for a couple more generations at least. People need to start accepting that.

=======

I am going to add what I posted in my 3rd post here. People keep just referring to my OP, when I put in a lot more details in my subsequent posts to justify my line of thinking:

vvvvvvvvvvv

Are you even familiar with Apple's pixel doubling strategy to maintain app backwards compatibility? I am thinking you don't. Apple will not pick an arbitrary higher resolution screen out of thin air. It is double or nothing. Doubling the iPad 4's 2048-by-1536 is not happening any time soon. Please read my 1st and 2nd posts.

----------

Here we go again. I repeat Apple will NOT pick an arbitrary resolution like that out of thin air! When will people start realizing that? They are stuck with these multiples:
1024-by-768
2048-by-1536
4096-by-3072
--> NOT HAPPENING ANY TIME IN THE NEAR FUTURE!

I repeat, these are the only resolutions possible on both the larger iPad and the smaller iPad to maintain app compatibility. Apple will not deviate from this.

----------

This below spec sheet is from the Apple website. The iPad mini is not getting a retina screen (2048-by-1536) unless the larger iPad gets a 4096-by-3072 screen because Apple CANNOT have a lower PPI screen on their more premium device. That is never going to happen.

The iPad mini's only screen choice to go retina is (2048-by-1536). I hope people stop throwing random higher resolution screen sizes around. Apple can never break apps backward compatibility.

Quiet you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.