Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jackwills

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2012
New York, NY
So I know there is a 7.0.3 update on my iPhone. I went into Settings > General to check for that. A message popped up, not about the iOS update but a carrier update. I hit on update, 30 seconds later the carrier name HOME changed to TFW.
Anyone had the same experience? I am just curious what this update actually changed to the carrier or does... And what TFW stand for

12/17/13 Update: I got the LTE on my iPhone 5 after updating the carrier settings last time to TFW, and internet and MMS worked properly without installing any profiles. Received a text from Net10 today told me to reboot the phone and update the carrier settings, I did what had told and rebooted my iPhone 5. **** happened, everything went back to before it turned back to HOME and 4G, no more LTE, needa install APN profile from unlockit.cn.nz to use the internet. Everything just went bad and backwards after this reboot.
Has anyone experiencing the same thing too?
Help!! I want my LTE back..

Last edited:
Reactions: Frankscherry

scotrinaf

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2013
Blountville, TN
So I know there is a 7.0.3 update on my iPhone. I went into Settings > General to check for that. A message popped up, not about the iOS update but a carrier update. I hit on update, 30 seconds later the carrier name HOME changed to TFW.
Anyone had the same experience? I am just curious what this update actually changed to the carrier or does... And what TFW stand for

Touchdown For Wisconsin!

Hey, My Straight Talk (formerly AT&T) phone now says TFW & LTE...??? Wierd...

Last edited:

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011

Yes! I just posted the same thing in another thread!

ineel

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2010
TFW stands for TracFone Wireless which is the parent company of Net10.

Lucky736

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2004
US
The settings the profile put in didn't work after this carrier update. Went back to the old ST settings and works fine now. So strange.

ajt1995

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2013
Mine wants to update, should I let it? Would I have to re-enter setting and "whatnot"?

faiz23

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2010
I have straight talk and my mms works perfect using sim swap. I did not select the carrier update as I am afraid it will break it. Now I wonder if people accept the carrier update if it will fix their mms by programming the apn, mms, mmsc, and mms proxy settings. My network still displays "HOME" & LTE. I am using the tfdata apn.

scotrinaf

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2013
Blountville, TN
I have straight talk and my mms works perfect using sim swap. I did not select the carrier update as I am afraid it will break it. Now I wonder if people accept the carrier update if it will fix their mms by programming the apn, mms, mmsc, and mms proxy settings. My network still displays "HOME" & LTE. I am using the tfdata apn.

Worth a try, if you have the T-Mobile card still, you can just redo it if you want IMO, I highly doubt the carrier update would prevent that from working.

faiz23

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2010
Worth a try, if you have the T-Mobile card still, you can just redo it if you want IMO, I highly doubt the carrier update would prevent that from working.

Last time carrier update wiped out all settings to apn "PHONE" and I had to go back and program. I don't remember the exact combination for mms settings that I used. I know I had to use partially new apn settings and then use old proxy settings to get it to work. I personally don't want to go through that hassle again for no benefit. What exactly does the carrier update to, just update your carrier id to TFW.

scotrinaf

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2013
Blountville, TN
Last time carrier update wiped out all settings to apn "PHONE" and I had to go back and program. I don't remember the exact combination for mms settings that I used. I know I had to use partially new apn settings and then use old proxy settings to get it to work. I personally don't want to go through that hassle again for no benefit. What exactly does the carrier update to, just update your carrier id to TFW.

Not sure...

Here are the settings
Old SIM Card
APN: att.mvno (2 places)
http://mmsc.cingular.com:80
Proxy: 66.209.11.33

New SIM Card
APN: tfdata (2 places)
http://mms-tf.net
Proxy: mms3.tracfone.com

AllieNeko

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
This update contains the NEW APN settings - tfdata and matching MMS. If you have a SIM with the NEW settings provisioned (not att.mvno), you no longer have to do anything to use a Net10/Straight Talk SIM fully including MMS.

TFW is Tracfone Wireless

Lucky736

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2004
US
This update contains the NEW APN settings - tfdata and matching MMS. If you have a SIM with the NEW settings provisioned (not att.mvno), you no longer have to do anything to use a Net10/Straight Talk SIM fully including MMS.

TFW is Tracfone Wireless

The odd thing though is that the carrier update did in fact place the tfdata and MMS settings in by default however the data wasn't working until I went back to the old settings. So on some level the fact that TFW showed up and the new settings with the old sim means they recognize it as theirs however it was still no dice on actually working. Interesting.

spoiledgina

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2013
Net10

My net10 service sent me a carrier update and now it changed from HOME to TFW, however, my MMS is not working. Does anyone know how i can get my MMS to work. I have an iphone 4s 7.03. Thank you.

Diseal3

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2008
My net10 service sent me a carrier update and now it changed from HOME to TFW, however, my MMS is not working. Does anyone know how i can get my MMS to work. I have an iphone 4s 7.03. Thank you.

I think you have to delete your old APN profile if you have one installed.

spoiledgina

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2013
@Dieseal3

That's the problem it does not have the APN settings field anymore with the new ios7. im so confused and it only allows me to send imessages.

scotrinaf

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2013
Blountville, TN

Go to Settings>General>Profile and remove the StraightTalk profile you have installed, then follow the steps for the T-Mobile SIM swap...

If you need the settings, let me know.

spoiledgina

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2013
Go to Settings>General>Profile and remove the StraightTalk profile you have installed

@scotrinaf.... there is no profile under Settings/General. With the IOS7 i read the apn settings are hidden.

corvette

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2009

TFW is Tracfone Wireless

that is what is happening, over the air and through ITUNES from 7.2 to 7.3 do NOT need the TM trick :) data and MMS

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.