Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DPM410

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
Hi, I know a Mac isn't ideal for gaming. I dont want answers back saying im an idiot for buying a mac for gaming, because that isnt the case. I just want to know what I am compatible of running though. I know there is the Can I Run it site, but I am not sure if that is always reliable. *I WILL BE RUNNING WINDOWS 8 VIA BOOTCAMP.*

So, by looking at my cpu and gpu, and looking at the requirements for a game, how do i know if i can run it? I would appreciate it if you can tell me if this example will work, but how does the average person know if it will work, by comparing the specs?

My specs:

MacBook Pro (Mid-2012)
RAM: 8GB
CPU:2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor (Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz) with 6MB L3 cache
GPU:Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 MB & NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 512 MB

Here is the game:
Batman Arkham Origins (recommended settings)
RAM: 4GB
CPU: Core i5-750 Quad 2.66GHz
GPU:GeForce GTX 560

Also, if I meet the minimum requirements for the gpu, but far exceed with the cpu and ram, what does that mean?

And... If one of my graphics cards is 1024MB, does that mean I can run games that require that much memory on the gpu? Even though i know the geforce I have is better.

I am just very confused, someone please clarify, I would really appreciate it.

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
System Requirements Lab is a pretty nifty site to get an idea of whether or not you can run a specific game.

Something like comparing Notebookcheck could get you some hard numbers for your GPU running a wide range of games.

CPU and RAM are least likely to be your bottleneck in any situation as to whether or not you can run the game (or well). It's going to be primarily the GPU that is going to matter if you can run it and how well.

Edit: I guess that's the new Batman so there's not a ton in terms of hard numbers. There's a youtube clip that has it hovering just over 30-40 FPS at 1920x1080 in action scenes, though not sure on the settings. So should be fine probably with a driver update or dial settings down at worst. http://youtu.be/82OYcy8gfGo

Last edited:

DPM410

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
System Requirements Lab is a pretty nifty site to get an idea of whether or not you can run a specific game.

Something like comparing Notebookcheck could get you some hard numbers for your GPU running a wide range of games.

CPU and RAM are least likely to be your bottleneck in any situation as to whether or not you can run the game (or well). It's going to be primarily the GPU that is going to matter if you can run it and how well.

So if I have above the requirements for cpu and ram, but just make it for the gpu, what would that mean?

Also, what is the difference between my two gpu's? Is the 1024mb one better than the 512mb one?

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
I doubt that the game will require a gtx560.
GTX560 is faster than all available mac GPUs except 27 inch iMac and Mac Pro options.

THe GTX560 is probably somewhere between 5-10 times faster than the HD4000.

DPM410

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
I doubt that the game will require a gtx560.
GTX560 is faster than all available mac GPUs except 27 inch iMac and Mac Pro options.

THe GTX560 is probably somewhere between 5-10 times faster than the HD4000.

Would any of my GPU's be able to handle something that has GeForce 8800 GT or GeForce 8800 GTS as a minimum requirement, but i would exceed its recommended ram and cpu?

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.