Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edtorious

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 14, 2007
San Diego, California
So after the update, I removed the APN profile I downloaded and installed from unlock it.co.nz site and reset network settings. After the reboot all of a sudden I noticed that even without an APN settings setup or installed, I get a cellular signal! :eek:

I noticed also the carrier symbol Home has changed to TFW. I got LTE, iMessage, MMS and even FaceTime! I still don't have visual voicemail though but then I've been having trouble with it since the first iOS 7 update. I got a iPhone 5s Verizon using the new LTE Straight Talk sim. How could this be? :confused:

ajt1995

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2013
Can you guys tell me a ballpark estimate on the speeds I'll get after 2.5 GB? I just started with ST a few days ago.

scotrinaf

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2013
Blountville, TN
So after the update, I removed the APN profile I downloaded and installed from unlock it.co.nz site and reset network settings. After the reboot all of a sudden I noticed that even without an APN settings setup or installed, I get a cellular signal! :eek:

I noticed also the carrier symbol Home has changed to TFW. I got LTE, iMessage, MMS and even FaceTime! I still don't have visual voicemail though but then I've been having trouble with it since the first iOS 7 update. I got a iPhone 5s Verizon using the new LTE Straight Talk sim. How could this be? :confused:

I haven't verified this with a SIM swap, but as far as I can tell, my phone retained all of it's settings from a prior SIM swap with the 7.0.3 update. I can still send/receive MMS, have LTE, etc... No change as far as I can tell. I'm also using the new LTE ST SIM card.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I noticed that as well, instead of saying "Home" it says "TFW". I am using a STE AT&T LTE sim card. Also, when I updated iTunes, I got a message to update the carrier settings.

AllieNeko

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
I haven't verified this with a SIM swap, but as far as I can tell, my phone retained all of it's settings from a prior SIM swap with the 7.0.3 update. I can still send/receive MMS, have LTE, etc... No change as far as I can tell. I'm also using the new LTE ST SIM card.

No, it didn't. The new carrier update includes the same setting you used before.

Djlild7hina

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
just deleted my apn from unlock.it.co and works like a charm :) also like that it changed from HOME to TFW. saves me money on buying a t-mobile sim to get MMS working :D

MissGbf

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2013
I'm so bummed! I did the update and my data nor MMS are working. I was looking for the APN profile to remove it, but it was gone. I connected to WIFI and installed the APN profile again and the internet will work but not MMS. :(

scotrinaf

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2013
Blountville, TN
I'm so bummed! I did the update and my data nor MMS are working. I was looking for the APN profile to remove it, but it was gone. I connected to WIFI and installed the APN profile again and the internet will work but not MMS. :(

If you have the old SIM card, spend $6.99 and order the new one from Straight Talk.

suneeboy

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2013
Same here. I just updated to 7.0.3 and now my carrier is TFW. I used the SIM Swap on my AT&T iPhone to get MMS working, and after a restart it still works.

Also in Settings under "Phone" it no longer says AT&T Services. It now says TFW Services.

Very interesting. I'm just glad it works.

rumplestiltskin

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2006
TFW now...and MMS

I did not do a SIM swap. I did nothing in the way of a hack. My iPhone 4s, with the new ST micro-SIM I bought a few weeks ago (the one that allegedly supports LTE) to replace the original micro-SIM I bought over a year ago to get into ST's "BYOD" service, now supports MMS. I tested this by sending a picture to my daughter (who does not have an iPhone and is on T-Mobile). She received it and then MMS'd me a photo which I recevied. I should note the message color is green which indicates this communication was -not- using iMessage (which would be blue).

I'll note two other things: This phone is still locked (it was a gift from a friend but isn't eligible for unlocking until next month). The carrier ID at the top of the screen shows TFW but used to show HOME. I don't know exactly when TFW began to show up but probably after the latest 7.0.3(?) iOS update.

I tested the MMS this morning and, sure enough, it works fine. Nice upgrade! But was it Apple who did this or did ST finally figure out there were many P.O.'d customers who wanted this service? :D

TyShawn

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2010
Just want to verify does the LTE sim work on an IPhone 4? Also will those apn settings work for the same device? I am currently on H2O service and want to change to Straight talk. MY hope is that I can and without jail-breaking I can have data, text, and mms.

mnrmillwood

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2013
Lost the ability to 'Find my iPhone' in a no wifi area!?!

I have an iphone 4, with IOS 7. When I updated to the most recent 7.0.4, a couple of (negative) things happened. First, I can no longer locate my phone (using the 'Find My iPhone' service) UNLESS I am connected to WiFi. If not, it either says offline or just gives the last location/time (when it was connected to wifi). Also, under Settings, Cellular, "Use Cellular Data For" category, 'Find iPhone' is no longer showing! It had been there, and DID work using cellular data only. FRUSTRATING! How do I get 'Find iPhone' back under the "Use Cellular Data For" category?? Secondly, since the same update, I am also having trouble getting texts/imessages from my husband's iPhone 5. Now THIS can be very frustrating, especially when both of the above problems exist. He probably thinks I'm turning my phone off or something :)-)), but I'M NOT. Can anyone help me resolve these issues??? By the way, under the Settings, General, Profile (APN Carrier Settings) I had been using one from http://www.unlockit.co.nz since June 19, 2013, and have NEVER had these issues (until the recent iOS update). Thanks for ANY remedies you can provide!

mnrmillwood

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2013
Where did MY Reply (with questions) go??

Earlier, I posted a rather long reply in this thread. Now, I logged back in and it's gone. What happened??? Thanks!

(NEVERMIND, when it refreshed it was here! :).

k47421

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2013
carrier setting reversed

I updated my iPhone 5 yesterday and was really happy! Today my phone spontaneously rebooted and now carrier name is back to HOME and when I check carrier in settings it says ATT again.

I really don't care if Im back to square one, Ive been using ST for years with iPhones 3gs, 4, 4s and now 5. BUT, my problem is that now, I have internet on 4g, but intermittently I do not have internet when connected to wifi. To get it to reconnect I have to reboot my phone.

Any input helpful

Kay

chestvrg

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
My wife has straight talk, they changed their APN, if you go to the "unlockit" website there is now an option of "new" and "old" straight talk APN settings. My wife's iPhone 4 is still on iOS6 and suddenly stopped working too, I had to update to the new APN settings from ST.

macrumorschamp

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2010
No one needs to use Unlockit profiles any longer if you have any iPhone and Straight Talk.

Remove the Unlockit Straight Talk Profile from Settings, General, Profiles, then Reset All Network Settings from Settings, General, Reset.

When your phone restarts, you should have working text, mms, and cell with the updated carrier bundle (just connect to wifi and/or connect to iTunes and check for updates) to make sure you've gotten the updated carrier bundle. You don't need to putz around with sim swap tricks or edit plist files and so on.

Works great - oh and I had them hard reset my voicemail and I have visual voicemail now.

Also get them to ship you a new sim replacement that is LTE compatible if you don't have one. They mailed me a nano sim and it works great and I get LTE speeds now! But watch and don't go over 2.5 gigs monthly - get a data monitor and stay on wifi wherever possible.

chestvrg

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
iOS 7.0.3 update made Straight Talk sim working without APN?

You mean straight talk now has it's own carrier setting plist profile? I taught it was only for the CDMA version of iPhones they sold at Walmart. Is it for the GSM version as wl? And visual voicemail works. Wow, just wow.

I have to check wife's iPhone 4 on ST, I have not connected it to iTunes like for many months. Maybe that is what I need to do to get the update.

I have to come back to ST.

aandrews220

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2014
I am looking into buying a verizon iphone 5c. If I put my nee lte straight talk sim n the phone will I have lte data speeds or will I have edge data speeds. Thanks for any help in this matter

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.