Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

njain

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2011
Has anyone who has updated to mavericks tried to use office 11 and seen that it works?

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Working fine here as well, so far. It might help if you tell us what trouble you're having, if any.

Velin

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
Working great.

If any of you are having trouble, especially on an older machine, do a clean install of Mavericks. Save your data, wipe boot drive, install Mavericks, migrate your data back.

Also, to save time, after you install Office 2011, here is the latest update file, Link.

paulimer

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2013
I got some strange issues.

I want to open a word/excel file from a server using finder, but it says can't find application. But when I opened word/excel first then open the files from there, it worked.
(added afterwards) *I have no problem opening a file from my own drive.

My powerpoint files opened are stuck way up so the powerpoint toolbar is hidden up in the mac topmost toolbar. Can't move the windows around because the dragging area is way up there.

Last edited:

WallaWalla

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2013
Word isn't working

I just got a new iMac and migrated everything from my Macbook except MS Office for Mac 2011. I used the product key to download it from MS. Both Excel and Powerpoint seem to be working, but when I tried to work on my Word docs, I got a message saying "This command is not available because the document is locked for edit", which of course, I didn't do. None of the Word features are working, it's basically read-only.

I searched in Word's Help to Activate Product, but nothing came up, I also looked for the Office Activation Wizard, which also didn't seem to be there.

Any thoughts on how I can get Word to work? Yes, I am using OSX 10.9.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
And how about Office 2008? (I haven't updated to Mavericks yet and am trying to identify what other software I'll need to update)

(yeah, I know 2008 is now ancient, but hey, it's done what I needed)

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2012
I have only Outlook 2011, and it's working fine. The rest of my suite is 2008, and all of those programs are working fine.

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
Has anyone who has updated to mavericks tried to use office 11 and seen that it works?

No problems here.

I did have to re-enter the product key on my wife's machine, but that was a clean install. My rMBP was just an in-place upgrade, and no issues.

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2012
Just noticed that the up/down arrows are missing in Outlook 2011's message list and in Word 2008.

I'm not imagining that there used to be arrows, right?

dianeoforegon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2011
Oregon
My powerpoint files opened are stuck way up so the powerpoint toolbar is hidden up in the mac topmost toolbar. Can't move the windows around because the dragging area is way up there.

Try this fix for windows moving

System Preferences > Displays > Resolution: select "scaled," then back to "best for display."

dianeoforegon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2011
Oregon
And how about Office 2008? (I haven't updated to Mavericks yet and am trying to identify what other software I'll need to update)

(yeah, I know 2008 is now ancient, but hey, it's done what I needed)

Office 2008 works. Entourage has a minor issue where it opens in a new compose window when opened.

Just like with Office 2011, some users are having no issues where other are having minor issues and a few users are having major issues.

For anyone having an issue, you should test in a new User to see if the problem is in your User's folder or at the base level. If the applications don't open in the new User, then you need to look at your Mavericks install and possibly re-install Office. If the problem is in your User's folder it is more difficult to track down. Often it takes starting over in a new Identity for Entourage/Outlook or deleting .plist and cache files.

Everyone needs to run Font Book and delete duplicate fonts. Remove font caches afterwards. Font Nuke is excellent for this.

EVillalobos

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2013
PPT crashing at presentation

I've just installed the Mavericks and now the powerpoint crases when I try to enter in the presentation mode... any advice?
Thank you.

jnlauderdale

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2011
LA
I continue to have issues with Safari and Internet Explorer functions that rely on Silverlight. Don't know which end isn't playing in the sandbox however.

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2012
Just noticed that the up/down arrows are missing in Outlook 2011's message list and in Word 2008.

I'm not imagining that there used to be arrows, right?

They're also missing from Chrome, Safari and other programs. Has that happened to anyone else? I don't see any settings for them in System Preferences.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.