Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Less than 24 hours after OS X Mavericks launched for free in the Mac App Store, roughly 7% of Mac traffic is already coming from machines upgraded to the new operating system, according to a live tracker hosted by analytics firm GoSquared. The tracker shows adoption sitting at around 0.5-0.7% yesterday until beginning its upward march upon the public release.

gosquared_mavericks_adoption.jpg
While analytics data is difficult to compare between services, last year Chitika found 3% of Mac traffic coming from OS X Mountain Lion as of 48 hours after its launch. Unsurprisingly, GoSquared's data hints that Mavericks may be seeing significantly faster adoption compared to Mountain Lion due to the free nature of the new upgrade.

GoSquared CEO James Gill tells MacRumors that his firm currently provides analytics for over 40,000 sites, allowing it to monitor billions of page views per month. That base allows the firm to offer a reasonable snapshot of activity at any given time.

While Mavericks is growing rapidly, it still represents a small fraction of the Mac user base, with GoSquared's numbers showing just under 50% of traffic coming from OS X Mountain Lion and almost all of the remainder split nearly evenly between OS X Lion and OS X Snow Leopared. Users on any of those systems can upgrade directly to Mavericks at no cost through the Mac App Store.

Article Link: OS X Mavericks Adoption Pushing Past 7% in Under 24 Hours

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Would love to but as a DJ, have to hold until Serato is rock solid on it.

Waiting til January. Sigh.

WillFisher

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2011
Mavericks is going to do well as far as I can tell.
Many of my non-geeky/non-Applefan friends have already downloaded Mavericks here in the UK, something that seems not many people would do, and all have statuses or tweets saying how they love it.

Something I have not seen before on an OS release. Its a nice change from babies and stupid jokes on a feed.

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
That's a fantastic adoption rate. Also, I believe that Craig is the best on-stage presenter Apple currently has.

windowpain

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Japan
I just updated too, Loving it so far, running much much better than Mountain Lion did on my aging 2010 Macbook Air (64GB, 2GB Ram!) Was on the verge of buying a new Air, but it looks like it has bought me another year..

Only thing I don't like so far is the folder tags have replace the colored folders..makes it harder to see at a glance which folder I want to click on.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Well my wife is 1 and I am 2. We upgraded last night, but have not had the time to play with it too much. It took forever to download and install not just maverick, but also all the app updates. Those servers must have been running hot. Or my cable provider was slow (I hate by cable company, but at least it did not go down in the middle of the down load which I was very concerned about since they seem to always do that)

skiphunt

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2002
great upgrade

Already updated my iMac and Macbook Pro 13in. I can't remember an update going this smoothly. The improvements to battery life on the Macbook Pro are very noticeable and feels like I've got the machine that I thought I bought about this time last year.

Using Airplay doesn't seem to drain the battery as fast either, and using AirPlay to use my plasma as an extended desktop is very usable as well.

Other than having to download and install Garageband separately instead up updating, I've had not problems or issues at all.

Well done Apple! :)

firstapple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2007
Impressive for sure. I have already moved my iMac and MBP over to it. Only issue so far is two finger swipe in Safari does not seem to be working for me (at least on my iMac with Magic Trackpad)...

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
This will be a very interesting thing for Apple - Mac OS adoption rates will become more like iOS adoption rates.

On my desktop I am running Windows 7 and have no intention of upgrading as I don't have a touchscreen and I feel using a mouse and keyboard the simple start menu makes more sense than a bunch of huge tiles (With the start menu I only need small movements to get to what I want, with tiles there is swiping and scrolling involved.) I feel many people feel the same way about Win 8. The main thing driving its adoption right now is simply new computers being purchased with it preinstalled.

I knew a few people that were still on Lion that will be upgrading, they hadn't before because they just didn't feel like paying the $20. The free updates makes a whole lot of sense for Apple as it gives developers incentive to implement new features of each OS revision, versus spending their time on backwards compatibility with old OS versions for the holdouts.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Very nice upgrade, and free is great. Doesn't feel like much of a change from ML, which is probably a good thing. Just a nice refinement/enhancement of an already very good OS.

SakuraSuki

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2013
Updated both Mac Mini and MacBook Air to Mavericks... But the real question is: Does my Mavericks Hackintosh counts?

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
Love the upgrade, it's making me try out Safari which seems to be way faster than Chrome. I've been hating Chrome for a while (their UI designers are terrible).

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Sweet. I upgraded last night. I told all my non-geeky Mac users about it last night, so they will do the free upgrade. Thanks, Apple!:apple:

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
That's a fantastic adoption rate. Also, I believe that Craig is the best on-stage presenter Apple currently has.

he is free of that condescending attitude that cook, schiller, ive and cue have (which can work if you have charm which they dont).

he seems like a good relatable guy

nope7308

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2008
Ontario, Canada
After upgrading to iOS 7, I'm hesitant to install a new OS on any old device. Would mavericks cripple my 2008 Macbook? It was sold with Leopard installed :/

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Only thing I don't like so far is the folder tags have replace the colored folders..makes it harder to see at a glance which folder I want to click on.

Have to agree with you on this. Everything else is nice, just wish they had kept folder colours. A work around for this would be to just change the folder icon to a different colour. That is what I will be doing. Luckily I only have a dozen or so to change.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.