Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SOLLERBOY

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2008
UK
I have an iPad 3. Before the event I was planning on getting a retina mini but I now think I will go with the air. Problem is I need at least 32GB and would like cellular too but that is starting to get expensive.

I8P'CS

Suspended
Jul 29, 2010
No to worry have the time we can purchase now, Not that anyone had replied in the first place.

SL4VE

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
hi does anyone know if local stores are getting these on launch day like argos, currys, carphone whorehouse etc etc

Snapperjw

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2007
Why no pre-order?

I love Apple, I hate Apple.

Why can't I pre order the iPad just as I did last year?

The launch of the iPhone 5s was a shambles, people in Reading got up at 4am, queued at the Oracle for the Apple Store only to find out several hours later that they had very limited stock of the 5s and went home empty handed.

I will be mighty pissed if the same thing happens again with the iPad Air. Let customers pre-order!

Oh wait you want long queues outside your stores to get media attention!!! Don't play games with your customers Apple.

SL4VE

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
Just called currys and they said they should be able to pre order as long as apple supply a decent amount. but advised to callback monday for more info as apple provided no info at the moment.

Argos was just retarded they didn't even know if they were getting stock

dodder92

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2011
Staffordshire, England
I have a Tesco Extra near me that sells the current gen iPad and iPad mini, I wonder if they will have the new models in stock on launch day. Anyone happen to have experience buying from Tesco in the past?

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
I'll probably order mine online at the earliest opportunity, then try and pick one up from and brick and mortar. If successful, I'll just cancel the online order. Did exactly this with the 5s, I'd probably have only had it for about a week if I'd waited for my order - instead I just bought one off the shelf of CPW the day after launch day. The Mini LTE launch was a farce too for numerous boring details that many on here will be familiar with no doubt.

Still vacillating constantly between an Air and a Mini. A Mini is vastly better suited to my usage, but a niggling feeling says I'll love the Air, as I do prefer the larger screen. Tear downs could seal the deal, we'll see.

gs28

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2013
How was it with 3/4? Were they shipping them from China like they did with 5s or they had a stock for online orders as well?

zombierunner

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2011
UK
by the looks of it ipad air and ipad mini retina both will have 1 gb ram

Attachments

• Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 452

Snapperjw

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2007
How was it with 3/4? Were they shipping them from China like they did with 5s or they had a stock for online orders as well?

When I got my ipad 3 I was able to pre-order and it arrived the afternoon of the launch date.

I've got a bad feeling about this!

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
When I got my ipad 3 I was able to pre-order and it arrived the afternoon of the launch date.

I've got a bad feeling about this!

Become accustomed to that bad feeling lol, especially if you're after an LTE Mini. Last year, I ordered/preordered (the latter iirc) an LTE Mini at the earliest opportunity. It was always coming later, but they started appearing in shops weeks before the preordered ones were due for delivery. I gave up on my preorder and bought one from Argos, heh.

My only saving grace is that, Air or Mini, I'm after a 128gb LTE so I'll probably have slightly better luck than the 16gb wifi crowd. Unlike last year, I've got my current Mini LTE to keep me going so if I get one before Xmas I'll be happy.

S A

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2011
Midlands, UK
I will be upgrading from an iPad 2, so hopefully should be able to feel some significant difference.

I was planning on getting the main iPad pre-event, and the £80 difference between the iPad Air and iPad mini with Retina has only reinforced that decision. So iPad Air 32GB WiFi + 4G for me.

I spoke to my local KRCS store, who usually have some kind of reservation system in place previously but today I got the impression that they have been clearly told by Apple not to have any such system for customers.

However, I might consider John Lewis this time round assuming I can get stock, as the 2 year warranty would come very handy indeed.

S A

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2011
Midlands, UK
Also, im hoping for Saturday delivery if I can get in there quick enough. Just for your information, I have found the following retailers who currently stock iPad offering Next Day Saturday Delivery:

Argos: £6.95
John Lewis: £6.95
Currys/PCWord: £9.99
Sainsburys: £5.95
Misco.co.uk: £20.48
eBuyer.com: £10.98
Very.co.uk: £3.95

BadMelonFarmer

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2010
North Somerset
I wonder, but doubt, if the Argos / PC world websites will have a reserve option where you can pick up at you local store on launch day.

Nah, can't see that happening.

Husk24

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2012
UNITED KINGDOM - LEEDS
Hi guys,

I have never queued and bought an apple product on launch day, but im planning to buy the ipad air on launch day from Apple store, im planning to get there an hour before, what chances are that i will be able go get hold of one? Im planning to get one from Leeds.

Surely ipads are not as popular as iphones? Queues wont be that long? Any thoughts?

Thks

L T

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2013
UK
I'm planning to queue at the Apple Store in Exeter, anyone been to other launches there and know if it gets busy?

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Hi guys,

Anyone know what time we will be able to place orders online? Will it be 12am midnight UK? or 8am UK?

Most likely 12am midnight UK time.

----------

Anyone know when the new iPads will be available to try out in the Apple Stores?

On November 1st. Apple never had new hardware on display before the release date.

----------

Predictions for online orders dispatch dates? :)

Hard to say as it depends on supply and availability. I imagine anywhere from a 2-3 days to maybe 2-3 weeks.

----------

[/COLOR]
I'd assume delivery on the Monday after release, or very shortly thereafter.

I think that's not very likely as there will probably be supply constraints. That said it will also depend on which model is ordered.

----------

----------

Hi guys,

I have never queued and bought an apple product on launch day, but im planning to buy the ipad air on launch day from Apple store, im planning to get there an hour before, what chances are that i will be able go get hold of one? Im planning to get one from Leeds.

Surely ipads are not as popular as iphones? Queues wont be that long? Any thoughts?

Thks

I think you will be lucky to get one if you get there an hour before. That's said it will probably depend on which model you want and whether that one is sold out or not.

allistera

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
Might go down to the glasgow store on the 1st.

I was originally going to go with the mini, but the unknown release date and £80 price difference is pushing me more towards the air.

MisterBigMack

macrumors regular
May 23, 2012
I live in hull and we don't have an apple store , we however have a krcs store which I'm hoping will have enough in for the weekend of release...

BadMelonFarmer

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2010
North Somerset
Hi guys,

Thks

I would not put money on you being able to pick one up on launch day if you turned up an hour before.

For the iPhone 4 launch I turned up 4 hours beforehand and there was very limited stock and the capacity I wanted had sold out before I got to the front of the queue and people not far behind me missed out altogether.

You may be lucky, especially if you are not really bothered which version you get. But if you want a specific colour, version and capacity the chances reduce.

From what I have read the queues have gotten bigger over the years. Personally I did not particularly enjoy the experience of hanging around for hours so have no intention of doing it again.

Whatever you decide to do... Good luck

JazzG

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2009
Also, im hoping for Saturday delivery if I can get in there quick enough. Just for your information, I have found the following retailers who currently stock iPad offering Next Day Saturday Delivery:

Argos: £6.95
John Lewis: £6.95
Currys/PCWord: £9.99
Sainsburys: £5.95
Misco.co.uk: £20.48
eBuyer.com: £10.98
Very.co.uk: £3.95

Probably order from John Lewis as I believe they also give a 2 year warranty on all tablets, on their facebook page says they won't do any pre-order but stock will be available in store and to order online on the Friday. Might order it in for collection at my local Waitrose, haven't got time to go to the Apple store over the weekend and I'd rather not queue up outside the store!

dodder92

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2011
Staffordshire, England
Tesco tweeted out that as they are a major retailer it's very likely they will have stock for launch day, wonder if I'll be able to walk in there at just past midnight and pick one up considering they're open 24 hours.

EJGS

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
London
Really angry that there are no pre-orders available. Looking to get a 32GB iPad Air in space grey. Guess I'm going to have to order online at midnight from either Apple or John Lewis as I will be too busy in the day to pick it up. Do you guys know if they will be selling the iPads from midnight or not?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.