Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

soaringchicken

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2012
Congrats !!!

Hey vpro, after trying many different drivers, your method worked! I got speeds up to 100MB/s on my NTFS formatted usb 3 3TB drive (using paragon)

Except, I was one of those people who needed to run the sudo kextload -v /System/Library/Extensions/PXHCD.kext code to get it to show up.

I tried your reboot automation code and unfortunately that did not work. And strangely one time I did it my wireless card suddenly stopped as soon as I typed the code into terminal. After reboot the wireless came back on, but still no USB superspeed until I manually run that kextload script.

Do you have any suggestions for why this is the case? Possible error in the code? Permissions thing? I'm a very novice coder. I would also love to know why it works off the bat for some people and others like me need this boot code.

Thanks!

Last edited:

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012
Hey vpro, after trying many different drivers, your method worked! I got speeds up to 100MB/s on my NTFS formatted usb 3 3TB drive (using paragon)

Except, I was one of those people who needed to run the sudo kextload -v /System/Library/Extensions/PXHCD.kext code to get it to show up.

I tried your reboot automation code and unfortunately that did not work. And strangely one time I did it my wireless card suddenly stopped as soon as I typed the code into terminal. After reboot the wireless came back on, but still no USB superspeed until I manually run that kextload script.

Do you have any suggestions for why this is the case? Possible error in the code? Permissions thing? I'm a very novice coder. I would also love to know why it works off the bat for some people and others like me need this boot code.

Thanks!

Hey! I'm glad it worked out for you with the speed up.

As for your other questions those are good, I wont be able to answer that for you hoping one of the forum experts may jump in. In the mean time that is a good question to type into your search engines?

Best always ! ^_^

yossarian22

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2013
Hi! Has anyone used the GMYMLE expresscard usb 3.0 with a 2-bay docking station or enclosure? Just wanted to know if it supports port multiplier. Thanks a lot!

NJRose

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2011
USA
GMYLE and Lacie USB 3.0 Driver 1.0.8

I just bought a GMYLE Expresscard 34 to USB 3 adapter from Amazon last week. I downloaded Lacie USB 3.0 Driver for Mac OS from "drivers.dowloadatoz.com" then installed the one for OS 10.7 (yes, I haven't upgraded yet) and now using it with a Transcend external HD.

I haven't check the speed yet but, at least, my MBP is recognizing the card/HD. I do have to restart with the card plugged in for the MBP to recognize it.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
Has anyone updated to OSX Mavericks? Do tonymacx86 USB 3 drivers still work?

I have updated my early 2008 MBP to Mavericks. The USB3 card still functions just fine. ;)

I wish I could say the same for my Late 2012 Mac Mini when waking from sleep (2nd monitor somehow causes the mouse to freeze unless I unplug/plug it again). This does NOT happen on my 2008 machine. Both the USB3 card and the internal port function just fine after waking from sleep (even with the internal and external monitors running at the same time as a two monitor setup).

marcelol

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2012
I have updated my early 2008 MBP to Mavericks. The USB3 card still functions just fine. ;)

I wish I could say the same for my Late 2012 Mac Mini when waking from sleep (2nd monitor somehow causes the mouse to freeze unless I unplug/plug it again). This does NOT happen on my 2008 machine. Both the USB3 card and the internal port function just fine after waking from sleep (even with the internal and external monitors running at the same time as a two monitor setup).

Exactly which driver are you using ? The modified LaCie driver? Do you get Kernel Panics at all ? Did you have to reinstall the driver ?

Details man...details !!! :eek:

rcappo

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2010
Exactly which driver are you using ? The modified LaCie driver? Do you get Kernel Panics at all ? Did you have to reinstall the driver ?

I just upgraded my mid-2010 MacBook Pro 17" to Mavericks (10.9.1), and it gave a few kernel panics during the first reboot, and the card doesn't show up. I will have to try and find an updated driver for it.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007

Somehow I missed this reply, but the details are on a previous page. I used the Multi-beast hackintosh driver. I have never gotten a kernel panic. I do think my old Logitech camera locked it up or something and doesn't work with it, but everything else I've tried has worked fine (mouse, keyboard, drives, mainly). I did not have to update the driver when I upgraded to Mavericks, but I installed the driver (Lion driver I believe) in Mountain Lion, not Snow Leopard.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
... don´t need any hacked drivers. Get a fresco based USB3 express card chipset and enjoy native USB3 speeds in OSX 10.9.

This card should work, e.g.: http://www.amazon.com/GMYLE®-ExpressCard-34mm-Adapter-Dual/dp/B0045BLP1S/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

That's exactly the card I'm using. I still needed the drivers from the Multi-beast Hackintosh package; it did not work with Apple's drivers in Mountain Lion here (don't know for certain about Mavericks since I upgraded the same Mac from Mountain Lion that already had the driver installed). And they're not "hacked drivers". They're just drivers that Apple doesn't include.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
OK, I have found a problem with the GMyle card and Mavericks since upgrading to 10.9.1, at least. The Macbook Pro doesn't want to shutdown. I get a busy indicator on a grey screen and it just keeps on spinning. I had to shut it down with the power button. Removing the card got rid of the shutdown problem so I can only assume it was the reason. I don't recall it having that problem in 10.9.0 since it rebooted just fine to install 10.9.1. It might help if I ejected the card via software instead before shutting down. I'd have to try it.

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
That's exactly the card I'm using. I still needed the drivers from the Multi-beast Hackintosh package; it did not work with Apple's drivers in Mountain Lion here (don't know for certain about Mavericks since I upgraded the same Mac from Mountain Lion that already had the driver installed). And they're not "hacked drivers". They're just drivers that Apple doesn't include.

My 17" 2010 didn't need the drivers from multibeast for this Gmyle BC628 card, the Fresco drivers loaded in without a hitch just like Fresco chipped PCIe cards do with Mac Pro towers from 10.8.2 upwards. Though going through the expresscard port unlike directly connected to the bus with the MP I would remove the card as a matter of course when doing OSX point updates such as when 10.9.2 is out.

cscheat

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2010
OK, I have found a problem with the GMyle card and Mavericks since upgrading to 10.9.1, at least. The Macbook Pro doesn't want to shutdown. I get a busy indicator on a grey screen and it just keeps on spinning. I had to shut it down with the power button. Removing the card got rid of the shutdown problem so I can only assume it was the reason. I don't recall it having that problem in 10.9.0 since it rebooted just fine to install 10.9.1. It might help if I ejected the card via software instead before shutting down. I'd have to try it.

Magnus, I need help here...

2011 MBP 17" using the GYLME card

installed multibeast maverick but no card detected.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
Magnus, I need help here...

2011 MBP 17" using the GYLME card

installed multibeast maverick but no card detected.

Are you saying there's an update for multibeast that is designed for Mavericks or do you mean you installed the multibeast drivers in Mavericks? I installed the old Lion package in Mountain Lion and the drivers carried over to Mavericks. Does System Information show anything when you plug the card in?

cscheat

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2010
Are you saying there's an update for multibeast that is designed for Mavericks or do you mean you installed the multibeast drivers in Mavericks? I installed the old Lion package in Mountain Lion and the drivers carried over to Mavericks. Does System Information show anything when you plug the card in?

I installed the multibeast drivers in Mavericks. (only tick the USB option only)

After that system info doesn't show the card even I reboot

any advice??? :confused:

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
I installed the multibeast drivers in Mavericks. (only tick the USB option only)

After that system info doesn't show the card even I reboot

any advice??? :confused:

Did it show anything before you installed the drivers? At least one person here claims they didn't even need to install the drivers after 10.8.2. I'm not really sure what to tell you off-hand since it worked here, but then I installed the drivers in Mountain Lion originally and then upgraded to Mavericks in turn. It's possible that had some effect. Perhaps there's an issue with the multibeast installer in Mavericks?

cscheat

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2010
Did it show anything before you installed the drivers? At least one person here claims they didn't even need to install the drivers after 10.8.2. I'm not really sure what to tell you off-hand since it worked here, but then I installed the drivers in Mountain Lion originally and then upgraded to Mavericks in turn. It's possible that had some effect. Perhaps there's an issue with the multibeast installer in Mavericks?

Magnus, your model is macbook pro 17" ?

I guess i should go download the multibeast for Mountain Lion and try later

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
Magnus, your model is macbook pro 17" ?

I guess i should go download the multibeast for Mountain Lion and try later

No, mine is a mid-2008 15" MBP that came with Leopard and has been through Snow Leopard, Mountain Lion and now Mavericks.

cscheat

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2010
I had that problem... the solution was to install the CalDigit USB 3 card drivers as well. Whatever the installer does makes the other driver load.

Venom ! What is your model ? same as mine ? 2011 mbp 17" ?

So the solution was to install the following:

1. CalDigit usb3 card drivers
2. Multibeast (ML or Mavericks?)
3. Plug in the card and reboot

venom600

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Venom ! What is your model ? same as mine ? 2011 mbp 17" ?

So the solution was to install the following:

1. CalDigit usb3 card drivers
2. Multibeast (ML or Mavericks?)
3. Plug in the card and reboot

I have an early 2011 17" Macbook pro. I don't know anything about Multibeast... the driver that worked for me was PXHCD.kext. I installed it using the command line and it wouldn't load. So I figured it as the wrong driver and installed the cal digit drivers. Whatever they did activated the other driver because when I view the card in system profiler it shows that the driver is PXHCD, not CalDigit.

cscheat

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2010
I have an early 2011 17" Macbook pro. I don't know anything about Multibeast... the driver that worked for me was PXHCD.kext. I installed it using the command line and it wouldn't load. So I figured it as the wrong driver and installed the cal digit drivers. Whatever they did activated the other driver because when I view the card in system profiler it shows that the driver is PXHCD, not CalDigit.

OK will give it a try

venom600

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Anyone have any luck getting these cards to work in Yosemite? The new signed driver policy means the hacked drivers we've been using won't work anymore.

cscheat

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2010
Anyone have any luck getting these cards to work in Yosemite? The new signed driver policy means the hacked drivers we've been using won't work anymore.

ya.. im also interested to know how

Please advice if any expert here !!!!

My GYMLE card is now covered with dust:eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.