Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rlandon91

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2013
I read what you guys were talking about simply because my "HOME" carrier name changed to TFW as well.
I made an account just to say:
LTE is now available for net10 as of this last month. They changed their policy from 1.5 gigs capped to 2.5 gigs and then throttled after total use of 2.5. Once your monthly subscription cycles to a new month, you get reset to regular speeds (if you used more then 2.5).
I use the tfdata APN settings with the tmobile sim-swap method on iPhone 5 7.0.3 (no more TetherMe :\) and I clocked my phone at 21mbps download speeds with full bars.

I have no idea if this is the same for Straight Talk, but I must add that in my situation, I had to call Net10 for them to change/reset some settings on their end to enable LTE on my end. That was about 2 weeks ago, so maybe that has changed with the 7.0.3 update and recent carrier updates.

Kind of nice to have LTE at such a cheaper price :]

P.S.
iMessage, MMS, internet, all of that works for me using the tfdata settings with 66.209.11.33:80 and all the jazz

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:

faiz23

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2010
You can remove the profile but can you modify the settings and the specific information fields or just remove the profile as a whole. Most are not able to access the Cellular network field to be able to manually change their APN. Unless you use T-Mobile sim swap trick you won't be to access the apn field to modify it. I have not accepted the update but if you accepted the update and your mms no longer functions. You will need to use the sim swap trick to reprogram your settings.

AllieNeko

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
The odd thing though is that the carrier update did in fact place the tfdata and MMS settings in by default however the data wasn't working until I went back to the old settings. So on some level the fact that TFW showed up and the new settings with the old sim means they recognize it as theirs however it was still no dice on actually working. Interesting.

The new carrier settings are for tfdata! It recognises the Tracfone ICCID range, but not what APN you're provisioned to (there's no way it could). In order to NOT need a custom profile (LIKE IT ALWAYS HAS BEEN, this makes nothing worse for you) or a SIM swap to do MMS, you'll need to get updated to be provisioned on tfdata (easiest way is just buy a new SIM, sadly).

What would've been really nice is if the new Tracfone Wireless profile allowed access to the APN menu so anyone who tfdata wasn't appropriate for could just go and change it. I get why AT&T hides this menu, but Tracfone shouldn't.

Lucky736

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2004
US
What would've been really nice is if the new Tracfone Wireless profile allowed access to the APN menu so anyone who tfdata wasn't appropriate for could just go and change it. I get why AT&T hides this menu, but Tracfone shouldn't.

The odd thing about this is I had a VZW iPhone 5, unlocked as they all were, and it also required the SIM trick to change APN settings. It's an Apple Issue unfortunately not a carrier one. As soon as it sees an ATT or ATT MVNO it automatically shuts you down. :(

AllieNeko

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
The odd thing about this is I had a VZW iPhone 5, unlocked as they all were, and it also required the SIM trick to change APN settings. It's an Apple Issue unfortunately not a carrier one. As soon as it sees an ATT or ATT MVNO it automatically shuts you down. :(

When I say "carrier" I mean carrier profile, not the carrier that sold the phone. I don't understand why the new TFW carrier profile also doesn't allow APN settings change, you'd think they'd want that.

gretafour

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2006
Rochester, NY
Fixes everything on my officially unlocked AT&T 4S

After installing the carrier update, I removed my Net10 unlockit.co.nz profile and restarted the phone. Data now works more reliably than before (was intermittent with unlockit profile), and MMS works with no fuss.

VERY pleased since I can definitely make it to iPhone 6 without getting frustrated about shoddy data and no MMS!! :D

Lucky736

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2004
US
When I say "carrier" I mean carrier profile, not the carrier that sold the phone. I don't understand why the new TFW carrier profile also doesn't allow APN settings change, you'd think they'd want that.

Understood. My point was that all of the phones, regardless of carrier, do not allow the ATT and ATT MVNO settings to be changed. It seems to be software related as opposed to SIM related since they should be able to differentiate a non ATT sim as easily as identifying a carrier other than ATT. It sees ATT or ATT MVNO and it shuts down the manual setup. I think it's a gross oversight and a hold over from when it was exclusive, and no I am not kidding when I say that.

AllieNeko

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
Understood. My point was that all of the phones, regardless of carrier, do not allow the ATT and ATT MVNO settings to be changed. It seems to be software related as opposed to SIM related since they should be able to differentiate a non ATT sim as easily as identifying a carrier other than ATT. It sees ATT or ATT MVNO and it shuts down the manual setup. I think it's a gross oversight and a hold over from when it was exclusive, and no I am not kidding when I say that.

No, they're not the only carrier where the carrier file doesn't allow changing the APN settings. For example, Bell in Canada doesn't either. If all your customers can use the same APN settings, it actually makes a lot of sense in that it prevents your customers from screwing things up and calling into support. All AT&T customers can use phone so this makes sense.

The thing is, TFW now has it's own carrier file. SO WHY THE HECK DO THEY BLOCK ACCESS TO THE APN MENU, since not every customer can use tfdata.

Diseal3

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2008
Thats awesome straight talk works with MMS now. Really makes this plan more attractive.

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA

I think it is a 'user friendliness' thing, where the phone recognizes that it uses ATT network, thinks it has the right settings, so why let users screw it up? Of course, preventing user override is only good if the RIGHT settings are there.

It seems at least things are getting better, with my ATT iPhone 5 and new Straight Talk SIM card data and MMS work automatically with built-in settings, don't even need to install an APN anymore.

Do you have an older or newer ST SIM? I originally had an older ST SIM, just bought a new one ($7+free ship) to get LTE with my iPhone 5, and was pleasantly surprised to learn now that finally everything 'just works' with new SIM + iOS 7.03 (well, except for visual voicemail...)

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Youmail is quite good and has more features for free anyway

Thanks for the suggestion, I had heard of it before but never tried it.

Upon googling, I am reading a lot of links that say it only works on Straight Talk with jailbroken phones- not sure if this is still true or out of date?

Also, in the app store there are 2 apps- Youmail, and Youmail Visual Voicemail. I guess I should be using Youmail Visual Voicemail?

Alex384

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2013
How do I remove the carrier update and revert back to old settings? Now my MMS doesn't work with mms-tf.net but it worked with mmsc.cingular.com... Is there any way to undo this update??

Diseal3

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2008
Thanks for the suggestion, I had heard of it before but never tried it.

Upon googling, I am reading a lot of links that say it only works on Straight Talk with jailbroken phones- not sure if this is still true or out of date?

Also, in the app store there are 2 apps- Youmail, and Youmail Visual Voicemail. I guess I should be using Youmail Visual Voicemail?

Direct Link

I've seen mixed things also looking it up for straight talk. But if you are using ATT Straight talk sim (As opposed to straight talk iPhone for Verizon) it should work. If it works be sure to report back, sure a lot of people would like to get a confirmation if considering switching.

sticky420

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2013
Need help

i am super upset i accidentally pressed "update" instead of cancel when this carrier update box appeared on my phone earlier today and ever since then i cant get the internet to work on my phone... i recently upgraded to the new ios7 and got rid of my old jailbreak because i was tired of the glitches and i had just recently found out that i did not no longer need to tether my phone to certain apn settings to get the internet to work, idk how to fix this..mine as well changed from HOME to TMW i tried installng the straight talk and net 10 profiles from iapnudatetfdata.net10.com iapnudatetfdata.straighttalk.com neither of those work if anyone has any clues that would be great

Beezy253

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2013
Tacoma, WA
i am super upset i accidentally pressed "update" instead of cancel when this carrier update box appeared on my phone earlier today and ever since then i cant get the internet to work on my phone... i recently upgraded to the new ios7 and got rid of my old jailbreak because i was tired of the glitches and i had just recently found out that i did not no longer need to tether my phone to certain apn settings to get the internet to work, idk how to fix this..mine as well changed from HOME to TMW i tried installng the straight talk and net 10 profiles from iapnudatetfdata.net10.com iapnudatetfdata.straighttalk.com neither of those work if anyone has any clues that would be great

What phone are you using?

Do you have a new sim with 4G/LTE support? (and is your account provisioned to the tfdata APN?)

scotrinaf

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2013
Blountville, TN

How do I remove the carrier update and revert back to old settings? Now my MMS doesn't work with mms-tf.net but it worked with mmsc.cingular.com... Is there any way to undo this update??

More than likely you will need to purchase a T-Mobile SIM card and do the SIM swap trick, you can follow the instructions here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmRSDDJbOUQ&feature=youtu.be

sticky420

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2013
re: iphone 4

i have the regular iphone 4, i havent bought a new sim card for awhile and it was through straight talks website, i thought i had tfdata already though when i use to manually do the apn when it was jailbroken

AndrewsD22

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2013
I'm seeing where people are saying that the mms & data are working just fine with the update new carrier settings (TFW) for Net10 iPhones. I uninstalled the carrier profile & my data & mms are no longer working. Is there a way to undo this carrier update? Or is there a simple way besides the sim swap method to correct my data/mms problem?

----------

What phone are you using?

Do you have a new sim with 4G/LTE support? (and is your account provisioned to the tfdata APN?)

How do i receive a new SIM card? Is that for Net10?

Diseal3

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2008
I'm seeing where people are saying that the mms & data are working just fine with the update new carrier settings (TFW) for Net10 iPhones. I uninstalled the carrier profile & my data & mms are no longer working. Is there a way to undo this carrier update? Or is there a simple way besides the sim swap method to correct my data/mms problem?

----------

How do i receive a new SIM card? Is that for Net10?

Yes, according to HoFo you may be able to call ST and they should be able to change you to the new provisioning on their end and you may not need a new sim card. I would check over there for more information.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.