Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nepentanova

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2009
Hi all, is there an app with horizontal continuous scroll for pdf's.

i have a lot of photo book pdf's and this way of viewing would be great

Reactions: ignatius345

nepentanova

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2009
You'll get it with the next OSX update. Sorry, I'm living slightly in the future here.

Seem to be missing something - have installed mavericks and ibooks, and pdf's opened with ibooks are viewed in preview.

Am i asking too mush for a pdf viewer on osx with horizontal scroll?

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Seem to be missing something - have installed mavericks and ibooks, and pdf's opened with ibooks are viewed in preview.

Am i asking too mush for a pdf viewer on osx with horizontal scroll?
Haha! Maybe you are! Try clicking on the two little arrows at the top right of the pdf file opened in preview to get to fullscreen mode. Or you could click View->Enter Full Screen. Now swipe left and right ( or up and down until your hearts content ).

nepentanova

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2009
Haha! Maybe you are! Try clicking on the two little arrows at the top right of the pdf file opened in preview to get to fullscreen mode. Or you could click View->Enter Full Screen. Now swipe left and right ( or up and down until your hearts content ).

But still no continuous scroll!

Surely there must be ONE pdf viewer with this feature?

Cheers 960

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Haha! So basically you want a single continuous sentence running from left to right. No second line, because to have a second line there would have to be a break, right?

Am I just too daft to understand what you are needing?

nepentanova

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2009
Haha! So basically you want a single continuous sentence running from left to right. No second line, because to have a second line there would have to be a break, right?

Am I just too daft to understand what you are needing?

What i would like is for the pages to scroll horizontally, ie left to right. Most pdf readers i have seen on mobile os's do this, but yet to find one on osx...

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Did you try the swipe left/right or arrow left/right? Mine scrolls horizontally with no problem.

Ahhh! You need it to scroll horizontally on it's own? A little script could do that I suppose, never thought of it.

nepentanova

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2009
Did you try the swipe left/right or arrow left/right? Mine scrolls horizontally with no problem.

Ahhh! You need it to scroll horizontally on it's own? A little script could do that I suppose, never thought of it.

Sorry if i haven't been clear!

No i don't need it to scroll on its own.

Firstly i would like the pages to scroll horizontally, not vertically as most seem to.

And i would also like the scrolling to be continuous, ie no gaps between pages.

This means that the book will appear as a long, left to right, document, which i will move by scrolling left / right. to me this is a much more preferably UI than vertical scrolling, especially for photo books with pictures across more than one page.

yellow8

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2017
I'm not sure I understand. Doesn't Preview allow you to continuously scroll down with landscape pages?

patthedog

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2014
I know this is an old thread, but in case anyone else ends up via search. There is a PDF viewer that runs in a web browser (I'm using Safari). You can load in your PDF file via the folder icon in the tool bar, then click the >> icon in the top right and select "Horizontal scrolling". Voila! I use this for sheet music when I like to see more than two pages side-by-side.

jawrmusic

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2020
I made an account just to post to this ancient thread... I too was frustrated trying to find a horizontal continuous scrolling PDF viewer. I just found out that if you open a PDF in Firefox there is an option for continuous horizontal scrolling as well as wrapped scrolling which tiles the pages according to your zoom level. Super handy for multi page sheet music on a large monitor. Had to share, hope it helps someone.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-29 at 5.47.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-29 at 5.47.24 PM.png
    107.6 KB · Views: 214
Reactions: orbital~debris

Esquivel K

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2020
I made an account just to post to this ancient thread... I too was frustrated trying to find a horizontal continuous scrolling PDF viewer. I just found out that if you open a PDF in Firefox there is an option for continuous horizontal scrolling as well as wrapped scrolling which tiles the pages according to your zoom level. Super handy for multi page sheet music on a large monitor. Had to share, hope it helps someone.
Mate you've just been a massive massive help, I need it for exactly this. Thank you so much!

Reactions: orbital~debris

AlexGoodhart

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2023
Skim will do horizontal continuous scroll... I use it for sheet music where it's nice to have three portrait pages side by side.

I made an account just to thank you two. It's sad that the original poster was so poorly understood. And yes, unsurprisingly, my use case is also sheet music!

patthedog

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2014
I forgot about this thread! I actually stopped using Skim and now use forScore to view PDF sheet music. With the latest update I can now have up to 5 pages side by side depending on the dimensions of the forScore window.

AlexGoodhart

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2023
I forgot about this thread! I actually stopped using Skim and now use forScore to view PDF sheet music. With the latest update I can now have up to 5 pages side by side depending on the dimensions of the forScore window.
Does forScore have a macOS App?? Going to check. Have been using that on my iPads for years as long as it's existed!

patthedog

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2014
Indeed forScore does have a macOS app. Your purchase for the iPad version should let you download the macOS version. I use the Mac to organise all the scores which sync to the iPad which I take with me to the band (along with a bluetooth page turner).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.