Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mike.Katz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
An interesting "bug" occurred when installing Mavericks. My Administrator password was needed. However, I do not have an administrator password as I always leave this blank. It was never set up.

This time when prompted to enter the administrator password upon installation, and I left the field blank, it was not accepted.

It was only after I went back to settings and established a password, then started the installation again and entered the new password was I able to proceed!

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
It is not true that you did not have an Administrator password before. You had an Administrator password, but it was blank. This is a bad thing. This was permitted before. It appears that blank Administrator passwords are no longer permitted. This is a good thing.

KaraH

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2012
DC
True, I hate having to set up a password as I use automatic login and practice safe networking. A blank password causes all sorts of problems though.

scofen

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2013
hint is blank in administrator password

I just had a new OSX 10.9 installed on my Macbook Pro. When I try to download Adobe it asks for the administrator's password and the hint is blank. I have left it blank and typed in the word blank but it still does not work. I have read that you can change your password using your apple ID but when i go to User Groups the box that I need to tick cannot be ticked (it won't allow me to tick it). Any ideas?

TheBacklash

Suspended
Oct 23, 2013
Blank password on an Admin user=bad idea.
Not only is it not safe, they are correct.. it causes other problems.

You should always have a password..

I just had a new OSX 10.9 installed on my Macbook Pro. When I try to download Adobe it asks for the administrator's password and the hint is blank. I have left it blank and typed in the word blank but it still does not work. I have read that you can change your password using your apple ID but when i go to User Groups the box that I need to tick cannot be ticked (it won't allow me to tick it). Any ideas?

When you go into the Users & Groups, the lock int he bottom left of the pane should be locked. click it and probably just hit enter to unlock and allow changes.
you should be able to enter a new password now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.