Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following Apple's launch of MacBook Pro models equipped with Thunderbolt 2 ports, PROMISE Technology has announced new Thunderbolt 2 RAID systems for users needing the fastest possible storage.

The company says its Pegasus2 line of RAID arrays allow for simultaneous transfer and display of 3D and 4K video files. It will work with the new MacBook Pro with Retina display, as well as the new Mac Pro when it launches this December.

NewImage8.png
Pegasus2, the ideal external RAID storage solution, is available in 4-bay, 6-bay and 8-bay enclosures, and maximizes the available line rate of Thunderbolt 2 by providing blistering fast transfer speeds for a growing number of 4K applications. With two Thunderbolt 2 ports, 6 devices can be attached - allowing for daisy chaining of up to 6 Pegasus enclosure units, Apple Thunderbolt Displays, or Mini DisplayPort devices.

As the first and only RAID 5 solution with Thunderbolt 2 technology, Pegasus2 delivers enterprise-level hardware RAID protection in a portable package that can be taken almost anywhere - perfect for photographers, filmmakers, and other multimedia professionals.
PROMISE will be offering the Pegasus2 in 8TB, 12TB, 18TB, 24TB and 32TB capacities through the Apple Online Store and elsewhere, though the systems -- and pricing -- are not yet live on the Apple Store.

The company also announced the SANLink2, aThunderbolt 2 bridge that provides dual 8Gbps Fibre Channel ports for connection to other RAID systems. Both the SANLink2 and the new Pegasus2 line are fully backwards compatible with the Thunderbolt 1 ports in older Apple devices.

Thunderbolt 2 was announced earlier this year by Intel and both the new MacBook Pro and the upcoming Mac Pro will include it. The connection enables two 20Gbps bidirectional channels, allowing 4K video to travel over a single cable and theoretical transfer rates of 800-900MB/s for storage arrays. This is roughly twice as fast as Thunderbolt 1. It is aimed at high-end video editors and users who need the ultimate in expansion capabilities.

Update: PROMISE has now provided MacRumors with pricing details on the forthcoming Pegasus2 RAID storage arrays:

- Pegasus2 R4 (4-bay): 4x2TB $1499
- Pegasus2 R6 (6 bay): 6x2TB $2299, 6x3TB $2999
- Pegasus2 R8 (8-bay): 8x3TB $3599, 8x4TB $4599

Article Link: PROMISE Announces First 20Gbps Thunderbolt 2 RAID Arrays

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
I don't see why they should be more expensive than TB1 versions unless intel is charging a lot more for TB2 controllers. R4 with 8TB should be around 1500$ imho.

Davmeister

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2009
London
I am so done with the absolute inevitability of people complaining on these threads about Thunderbolt accessory prices; shall I make it clear:

You can use the cheaper more ubiquitous USB 3 port instead - you have an option & it is not there for joe blow consumer - it is 'pro' tech, for editors and so on, and will therefore cost more...as all pro tech does!

Mobster1983

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
Awesome. Wish the refreshed iMac had Thunderbolt 2 ports, just doesn't make sense with the macbook refreshes and mac pro

I agree, it's BS that the new iMac doesn't have thunderbolt 2. I guess they wanted to distinguish the "pro" machines.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
The Mac Pro ain't cheap and this won't be either. I cannot imagine this being something for the home. Applications needing that level of speed and that amount of storage, probably are funded well enough to afford this.

Mac Pro (with upgrade) = $6,000
4k Monitors = $3000
RAID Array with 32TB = "first born"

Being able to store all the cute cat videos = Priceless
:D:D

sigeats

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2008
TB 2 and TB 1

Basic question about thunderbolt.

Not that I have any interest in buying one of these arrays, but I'm curious about TB technology. Can you use a thunderbolt 1 port with a thunderbolt 2 device? Obviously you would only have TB1 speed, but are the devices backward compatible, like usb?

I have a rMBP with TB1, and am starting to feel left behind already!

Same goes with a new thunderbolt display (if apple ever makes one!). I'm sure the new display will be TB2. So will I be able to use it with TB1 . . . again, obviously at a lower resolution, but will it work?

thanks

jameslmoser

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
I am so done with the absolute inevitability of people complaining on these threads about Thunderbolt accessory prices; shall I make it clear:

You can use the cheaper more ubiquitous USB 3 port instead - you have an option & it is not there for joe blow consumer - it is 'pro' tech, for editors and so on, and will therefore cost more...as all pro tech does!

From my understanding, if you wanted to boot windows from an external drive, no you can't. I'm sure there are other limitations other than speed and this one that makes USB3 not an option.

Kramerica1

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2013
Only costs your soul and one kidney.

These are made for professionals and the types of people that need this type of system spend $$$ and they don't blink an eye. They are the same crowd that will spend $50K to $150K on a 4K camera and buy several of them. You know, the film production companies.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
I'll most likely wait for TBX to come out in 2017. Will be able to transfer 1TB each way simultaniously.

----------

Basic question about thunderbolt.

Not that I have any interest in buying one of these arrays, but I'm curious about TB technology. Can you use a thunderbolt 1 port with a thunderbolt 2 device? Obviously you would only have TB1 speed, but are the devices backward compatible, like usb?

I have a rMBP with TB1, and am starting to feel left behind already!

Same goes with a new thunderbolt display (if apple ever makes one!). I'm sure the new display will be TB2. So will I be able to use it with TB1 . . . again, obviously at a lower resolution, but will it work?

thanks

Yes, it works similar to USB. You just limit your throughput.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
I can't imagine how anyone would think this product is aimed at "consumers".

But... but... I use a computer at work to do spreadsheets, so since I make money with my computer doesn't that make me a Pro user? ;)

The people who "need" these kinds of peripherals are willing to pay these prices because it translates into a real return in terms of faster rendering, or loading, etc. The rest of us just want them, like we want a Ferrari, but can't afford it and definitely don't need it.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
These are made for professionals and the types of people that need this type of system spend $$$ and they don't blink an eye. They are the same crowd that will spend $50K to $150K on a 4K camera and buy several of them. You know, the film production companies.

Actually they do. They'll negotiate lower prices so they don't have to pay full MSRP. Everyone is looking to 'save' money. Even the rich people.

My boss negotiated his 911 Turbo S. Even got 3 years of service included at no extra charge.

Mike8833

Cancelled
May 7, 2013
Without drives...

"PROMISE will be offering the Pegasus2 in 8TB, 12TB, 18TB, 24TB and 32TB capacities"

Thought about buying the TB1 Version.. (didn't come free of hard drives).
This time around the same overpriced ("you need OUR hard drives!")- policy?

:confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.