Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 8, 2009
There was that one thread asking why anyone would buy the iPad Air if the Mini is cheaper. I think that's ridiculous.

But now that the only differences are screen size, what do you see as the benefits of the Mini versus the full-sized iPad?

Weight? Better feel in hand? Easier to carry/fit in your bag better? Love small form-factor devices? Just simply prefer the smaller screen size?

I'm going to get my first iPad, but I'm gravitating towards the Mini. Just curious what others see as advantages with the Mini.

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
I'm going to get my first iPad, but I'm gravitating towards the Mini. Just curious what others see as advantages with the Mini.
Size. For my working attire the regular-sized iPad is difficult if not impossible to fit, but the iPad mini fits perfectly.

The iPad mini gets a lot of usage at work, but when I'm at home I use my full-sized iPad (3rd generation) for reading and other activities. The larger screen is nicer to work with; I just can't bring it around with me every day like I can with the mini. If the mini was all that I had, though, I'd be fine with using it at home, as well. It beats working off of the iPhone's screen... :p

FoundAHalo

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Size. For my working attire the regular-sized iPad is difficult if not impossible to fit, but the iPad mini fits perfectly.

The iPad mini gets a lot of usage at work, but when I'm at home I use my full-sized iPad (3rd generation) for reading and other activities. The larger screen is nicer to work with; I just can't bring it around with me every day like I can with the mini. If the mini was all that I had, though, I'd be fine with using it at home, as well. It beats working off of the iPhone's screen... :p

Exactly the same here. I had a Mini and a iPad 3, and the Mini's form factor fits perfectly in the inside pocket of most jackets. Sure, it's lighter and fits in one hand easily, but it was mainly the simpler portability of it. However, for doing any semi-serious work on an iPad, I'd use the full-size. But for carrying an iPad around, nothing beats the Mini.

FrankB1191

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2013
Pennsylvania
Same here, but I use my Mini at home as well. The new iPad.... gulp... Air might change that, but I doubt it. The side bezels of the larger iPad have been decreased, but it's still as long as before. Reduced weight and thickness are no small matter, however. It's a tough call, unless you'll be carrying outside of the house without a pack or briefcase. My Mini fits perfectly in my little convertible's glove compartment, and I can lock it away with the top down. The larger iPad would not fit there, or in my jacket pocket.

You'll have to wait longer for the Mini with retina, so if that's what you want, resist the temptation to get in line on November 1. :D

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 8, 2009
Exactly the same here. I had a Mini and a iPad 3, and the Mini's form factor fits perfectly in the inside pocket of most jackets. Sure, it's lighter and fits in one hand easily, but it was mainly the simpler portability of it. However, for doing any semi-serious work on an iPad, I'd use the full-size. But for carrying an iPad around, nothing beats the Mini.

Good point there. I really didn't think about it being able to fit inside clothing. I've seen some people comment that it can fit in the back pocket of their jeans.

I agree that anyone looking to use the iPad as a serious tool will get the full-sized one. That's not to say that you can't do that with the Mini, but anyone looking to use it like a computer would be served better by getting the Air.

----------

Oh wow, didn't notice that until you pointed it out. "Later in November"... wonder what the delayed launch for that is for?

There are extreme supply constraints with the Retina display on the Mini. I'm not surprised. But I'd definitely be willing to wait longer if that was the one I wanted.

FoundAHalo

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2009
Raleigh, NC
There are extreme supply constraints with the Retina display on the Mini. I'm not surprised. But I'd definitely be willing to wait longer if that was the one I wanted.

Yeh, that'd do it. Though I'm surprised there's no hard date yet. It's not like it's months away like the Mac Pro. Then again, Apple loves to leave us in anticipation! Just glad the full-size is out next week, life is hard without iPad(s) at the moment!

M87

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2009
It does everything the bigger iPad does, only it is smaller and feels nicer in the hand.

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
The choice will be between ease of use and screen size. I think I'd rather have the additional inches of screen...not 100% sure though. Since the Air is much lighter and thinner than the 4, the benefits of the Mini may not be as great this time around.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
I think they hit the sweet spot size for tablets. 7" is a bit too small, 9.7" feels comically huge after holding the Mini. And now the screen is even denser than the Air, considerably so, and it's cheaper and lighter. Unless you follow a precept of bigger-is-better, I don't see why an Air would be the better choice.

Fissure

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
It does everything the bigger iPad does, only it is smaller and feels nicer in the hand.

This

It is on par with its big brother now, A7 + Retina (actually a higher pixel count).

Apple had to do this and increase the price. Too many people were buying them instead of full sized iPads. By throwing in a Retina and an A7 and increasing the price by $70 they are in actuality pushing their margins up a tad on the Mini, which is what they want. If more people are going to buy them then margins have to go up or they lose that margin as a result of people not buying the higher margin full sized iPad.

Apple is "ALL" about hardware margins, it's why they have 140 Billion in the bank, 40% margin is insane.

Epiphron

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2010
How's the Mini for doing work? I feel it's a tad too small to work with (kinda like 8 inch laptop vs 10inch laptop) especially with those Mini keyboard cases. but the feel/portability is so great :confused:

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
I think they hit the sweet spot size for tablets. 7" is a bit too small, 9.7" feels comically huge after holding the Mini. And now the screen is even denser than the Air, considerably so, and it's cheaper and lighter. Unless you follow a precept of bigger-is-better, I don't see why an Air would be the better choice.

Well I can tell you that I love my regular iPad for web browsing, playing various games, reading PDFs, etc, etc. I like being able to type and see. I like the amount of viewing area, I just don't have an interest in having a smaller screen than the regular iPad does.

iterva

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2013
Sweden
There was that one thread asking why anyone would buy the iPad Air if the Mini is cheaper. I think that's ridiculous.

But now that the only differences are screen size, what do you see as the benefits of the Mini versus the full-sized iPad?

Weight? Better feel in hand? Easier to carry/fit in your bag better? Love small form-factor devices? Just simply prefer the smaller screen size?

After having owned both the 1st and 3rd gen. iPads i went with the Mini on launch, just because in my usage the full sized iPad felt too clunky and heavy.
My usage being web browsing and youtube watching in bed and on the couch, and for taking notes and viewing floor(electrical) plans when at different sites, and in the work i do I'm always mobile so the step from full sized iPad to Mini was quite easy.
Lately the Mini has been used 99% of the time at home, but i still prefer the smaller form factor...And i will be upgrading to the new Mini just to get the Retina screen.

Just my thoughts.. :cool:

hallidc

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2013
After the release of the 1st gen mini I was hooked. The iPad was quite light, and size was small enough so that I could carry it around...anywhere! The only main reason why I ended up switching back to the full size iPad was due to the lack of retina display. I couldn't justify going from a retina > non-retina display.

Now that the new iPad is out, I'll definitely be getting one. I've been waiting for the retina for months now. All the other benefits (weight, size) are still there however my main priority was having a "mini" device that runs with retina.

Ohrstrom

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2012
Sweden
The advantages is that its the same power as the larger iPad in a smaller more portable format with even higher PPI to a lower price.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
How's the Mini for doing work? I feel it's a tad too small to work with (kinda like 8 inch laptop vs 10inch laptop) especially with those Mini keyboard cases. but the feel/portability is so great :confused:

IMO, having owned both the mini and full size iPad, the only thing mini is better than the full size iPad is ebooks. For everything else, larger screen size wins. The only benefit I see for the mini is that it is smaller and lighter, so it fits in some larger pockets and in smallish bags and purses.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004

The question is posed backward. For most people, iPad mini is far more compelling than iPad Air, given identical spec and features, greater portability (but still very much usable), and $100 price savings.

There will be always some that would benefit from larger screen of the Air, such as industry and creative folks that need larger screen for whatever reasons, or those that need larger text and graphics (at the expense of lower DPI).

Personally, I think majority of those folks would be better served with even larger iPad, making Air as a category that may be phased out. But like MacBook family (11.6", 13.3", 15.4" screens), perhaps here's a room for 3 bears, I mean iPads.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
There will be always some that would benefit from larger screen of the Air, such as industry and creative folks that need larger screen for whatever reasons, or those that need larger text and graphics (at the expense of lower DPI).

Personally, I think majority of those folks would be better served with even larger iPad, making Air as a category that may be phased out. But like MacBook family (11.6", 13.3", 15.4" screens), perhaps here's a room for 3 bears, I mean iPads.

I'm in the category that need larger text because of poor eyesight, plus my muscle coordination problems make the larger touch targets on the 9.7 inch iPad easier to tap accurately than on the mini. But an even larger iPad feels like overkill to me. Even if it weighed as light as paper, that big a slab would be awkward to carry, I think. Maybe a device that was the same physical dimension as the iPad 2/3/4, but with edge to edge screen... But they would have to perfect touch rejection to pull that off, touch rejection on the current mini fails me often.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
IMO, having owned both the mini and full size iPad, the only thing mini is better than the full size iPad is ebooks. For everything else, larger screen size wins. The only benefit I see for the mini is that it is smaller and lighter, so it fits in some larger pockets and in smallish bags and purses.

Which, let's face it, is why apple created the mini and why it sold in millions.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
The question is posed backward. For most people, iPad mini is far more compelling than iPad Air, given identical spec and features, greater portability (but still very much usable), and $100 price savings.

That's not what the latest data shows. Looks like the full sized ipad was already outselling the Mini pretty regularly, and that was before the full-sized one got a lot smaller and lighter, and the Mini got more expensive.

cirpipad.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.