Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

NewImage9.png
Upstart automobile manufacturer Tesla Motors has announced the hiring of Doug Field, former vice president of Mac Hardware Engineering, to lead its development of new vehicles.

Field has been at Apple for more than 5 years and led the development of recent models of the MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, and iMac -- all of which have seen significant redesigns in past years.
"Doug has demonstrated the leadership and technical talent to develop and deliver outstanding products, including what are widely considered the best computers in the world," said Elon Musk, Tesla co-founder and CEO. "Tesla's future depends on engineers who can create the most innovative, technologically advanced vehicles in the world. Doug's experience in both consumer electronics and traditional automotive makes him an important addition to our leadership team."

"Until Tesla came along, I had never seriously considered leaving Apple," said Field. "I started my career with the goal of creating incredible cars, but ultimately left the auto industry in search of fast-paced, exciting engineering challenges elsewhere. As the first high tech auto company in modern history, Tesla is at last an opportunity for me and many others to pursue the dream of building the best cars in the world--while being part of one of the most innovative companies in Silicon Valley."
Field began his career at Ford as a development engineer after graduating MIT, before moving on to Segway and then to Apple.

Article Link: Tesla Motors Hires Doug Field, Apple's VP of Mac Hardware Engineering, to Lead New Vehicle Development

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I love Tesla cars and would like to own one, one day. However, in this case please don't make them any smaller. I do not love those little smart cars.

chuckles:)

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2006
CANADA
I'd imagine we'll see the two companies working together on things in the future. Similar corporate values and culture. In fact, to me it almost feels as if Tesla is the 'new apple' in terms of their commitment to design and innovation.

cr2

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2011
Imagine Steve Ballmer

Imagine is Steve Ballmer joins Tesla and use his Surface and Vista ideas ...

Lycanthrope

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
Brussels, Belgium, Europe
Yeah, I know. The key just sits in your pocket and the car turns on when you sit in the seat. Most people don't know that though. I was trying to get the point across to "analog" car people ;)

Close, but no cigar ;) You have to press the brake pedal to wake the car up. I know this because I test-drive a tesla P85 six weeks ago. And what a beautiful car it was, not to mention eye-bulgingly fast :eek:

Loved it!

erthquake

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2011
Close, but no cigar ;) You have to press the brake pedal to wake the car up. I know this because I test-drive a tesla P85 six weeks ago. And what a beautiful car it was, not to mention eye-bulgingly fast :eek:

Loved it!

Ah. I guess I mis-interpreted the Cars.com review :eek:. You got to test-drive one?! Lucky!

BigBeast

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2009
Good for him to follow his dream, but with Musk & Tesla, I can't help but suspect that his talent will be wasted- maybe not, but probably. I think he'd be better utilized at Apple, where what he designs will actually be applied, put into production, and enjoyed by millions of people. Good luck.

DPazdanISU

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2004
Near Chicago
Good for him to follow his dream, but with Musk & Tesla, I can't help but suspect that his talent will be wasted- maybe not, but probably. I think he'd be better utilized at Apple, where what he designs will actually be applied, put into production, and enjoyed by millions of people. Good luck.

He can have a much larger impact at Tesla. What do you want to do, make computers all day or transition human kind from oil to sustainable energy transport? :)

pjamies

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2009
Toronto
Just because he worked at Apple ....

People, Just because he worked at apple does not mean that the car is going to run some version of iOS or OSX!!
Actually, the Tesla cars will be running and Android variant, as they are already running Linux, and it is the next logical step.
And if you do not believe me then look at this link, as Elon Musk goes into detail about it..
Read the article and watch the Video .. It starts at about 37:00mins
http://androidandme.com/2013/10/new...ng-chrome-browser-might-get-android-emulator/

And Doug, was a Hardware engineer NOT Software ..So, you might see a
very well designed Tesla car!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.