Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Tapbots today launched Tweetbot 3, which is a paid upgrade to its existing Tweetbot for iOS application. The app has been completely redesigned for iOS 7, incorporating a new look, new gestures, and new animations.

As with most apps designed for iOS 7, Tweetbot has taken on a simpler design that includes ample amounts of white space, with new round avatar photos. Though Tweetbot continues to offer many of the same features like muting and iCloud DMs, the app has an entirely new feel due to its revamped gestures and animations. Tapping on a Tweet to open the options drawer now works faster, and swipe gestures, which previously opened Tweet details and conversations have been simplified.

tweetbot.jpg
- Completely redesigned from the ground up for iOS7. ?
- Native Push Notifications. ?
- Mute filters lets you block messages from users without unfollowing them. Mute services, hashtags, people, and even keywords (regex included).?
- Sync timeline position, direct message read statuses and mute filters between iPhone, iPad, and the Mac via iCloud or Tweetmarker. ?
- Customizable Navigation. The last 2 tabs are customizable and unused tabs are easily accessible. ?
- Support for multiple services like Pocket, Instapaper, Readability, CloudApp, Droplr, and more. ?
- Save drafts, add locations and POI's, attach photos/videos, manage your lists, and much more.
Because Tapbots is allotted a limited number of tokens by Twitter, the company has decided to make Tweetbot 3 a paid upgrade. Both new and existing users will need to pay $2.99 to purchase the app, but pricing will be increased to $4.99 after an introductory period. A revamped Tweetbot for the iPad is still in the works, and the existing Tweetbot app has been removed from the App Store.

Tweetbot 3 can be downloaded from the App Store for $2.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Tapbots Launches Tweetbot 3 with iOS 7 Redesign

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Lol. Ok, I feel like an idiot, I kept clicking on updates thinking it was a FREE upgrade when I saw it posted on Twitter. Smh! But, I'll pass, though. The current version works fine for me.

nickpro

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2007
Bay Area
if you're at all "outraged" by this you know nothing about Tapbots and should probably do some research before getting your panties in a bunch. needless to say i'm not in the least bit surprised and am clicking over to the App Store right after this post to purchase TB3 - congrats to Tapbots on the release and I look forward to the new version of Calcbot!!

P.S. Tweetie 2 = Tweetbot 3 :p

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Thank goodness, accidentally pressing "Timeline" (when scrolling to the top) no longer does anything. Best new feature.

Not sure if I am fond of the iOS 7-style circle avatars. Other than that, very nice.

Corrode

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2008
Calgary, AB
I was wondering why it was taking them so long to update to the new APIs. Hope their URL redirecting is faster now.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
Tweetbot has bought me a lot of joy in use since getting it for iOS5 - its earnt its spot on my iPhone dock, so I guess they deserve an extra couple of dollars from me.

I do wish they'd do an iOS7 update for calcbot though, I've actually gone back to the stock calculator now, but I loved the ticker options on that.

Chytin

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2013
loving it as well, but indeed full screen mode, just like the new Safari on iOS 7, would be great. hope they built this in in the next update or make it optional.

yanksrock100

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2010
San Diego
I wish apps didn't charge for an update. I understand games charging for an update, but apps like this? Alien Blue, a reddit app, was a one time buy. It is fully supported by a great dev. I wish more companies did that.

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
I'll try a "cracked" version before deciding to pay for it again. When devs force you to pay twice for the same app (aka the older version is still functional), you gotta wonder if the upgrade is really that worth it. That being said, it probably is, but I'm not paying head-first. I've been with echofon for a while now and if tweetbot 3 fails to convince me (unlikely), I'll just stay on that.

musika

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2010
New York
I actually think the official Twitter app looks better and I switched a while ago. However, I'm sure I'll buy Tweetbot 3 to try it out. I really like some of the little UI effects they through in (like the screen moving in, that is original).

StickerBox

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2010
I wish apps didn't charge for an update. I understand games charging for an update, but apps like this? Alien Blue, a reddit app, was a one time buy. It is fully supported by a great dev. I wish more companies did that.

So you expect to pay $3 one time and get free updates for life? This is their job. The one bad thing that apps brought about is this idiotic assumption that you pay someone who has done months of hard-work the same cost of 3 cheeseburgers, and expect free support and updates forever. Go away.

Mwongozi

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2007
Woodside, CA
Read the article before bitching about the paid upgrade. It's the same reason that the OS X app is expensive - Twitter impose stupidly strict limits on how many users third party clients can have. If the app was free, that limit would be hit very quickly indeed.

Twitter should be the recipient of your ire, not Tapbots.

DribbleCastle

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2009
Seattle, WA
Wooohoo!

One of my favorite apps for iOS and Mac. Love supporting this group and will gladly pay them an extra $3 for there great products.

If it wasn't for twitters stance on third parties we probably wouldn't have to pay.

ck2875

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Brighton
I have no issues throwing $3 their way. If they ask for another $20 for the Mac desktop version, then I'll have a change of heart.

Farplaner

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2008
I wish if they really did redesign the app from the ground up, that they would do a universal app.

I have no problem paying for updates for great apps (paid for Reeder 2), so I'll pay for this. I can't help but feel a bit disappointed to see an iphone only app though.

creanium

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2010
I'll try a "cracked" version before deciding to pay for it again. When devs force you to pay twice for the same app (aka the older version is still functional), you gotta wonder if the upgrade is really that worth it. That being said, it probably is, but I'm not paying head-first. I've been with echofon for a while now and if tweetbot 3 fails to convince me (unlikely), I'll just stay on that.

You're just the worst.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Read the article before bitching about the paid upgrade. It's the same reason that the OS X app is expensive - Twitter impose stupidly strict limits on how many users third party clients can have. If the app was free, that limit would be hit very quickly indeed.

People are (stupidly) complaining that the update is not free, not that the app is not free.

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011

Tapbots have always been using a paid model for their apps. I understand they gotta have an upgrade to their app which is paid and I think they'll lose some customers and gain others so probably not an issue.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005

It's not an update, it's been completely re-written.

That requires work, lots of it. Lots of work requires lots of time which costs money.

People have to get paid.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.