Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is now offering redemption codes on its online store for both OS X 10.7 Lion and OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion for users of older Macs who have not previously purchased the software, reports TechCrunch.

Lion and Mountain Lion, which are no longer available for download directly from the Mac App Store, can be bought for $19.99 each. Purchasing either one of the older operating systems will result in an email with a content code that can be redeemed within the Mac App Store.

mountainlion.jpg
If you need to purchase Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, you may order it from this page.

The most current version of OS X is OS X 10.9 Mavericks. To learn more, please click here.

What do you receive: An email with a content code for the Mac App Store.
Note: Redemption codes are usually delivered within 1 business day but may occasionally take longer.
Previously, users were able to purchase a copy of Lion, but doing so required a phone call to Apple. OS X Mountain Lion was available via the Mac App Store earlier this week, but it has since been removed in favor of Mavericks, leaving the new online purchasing system as the only way to acquire an older Apple OS.

Customers who have previously purchased Lion or Mountain Lion can download the operating systems through the "Purchases" tab of the Mac App Store.

Article Link: Apple Selling $20 OS X Lion and Mountain Lion in Online Store

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
Mavericks isn't free for users of 10.5 and below, so this makes sense.

Lickinstick

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2013
thank u Apple for providing best system for mac computers.

Tim u are great chairman. God bless.

Dewroo

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2010
Tilton, NH.
And the reason they don't just leave it for the public in the Mac App Store along with Mavericks is......?

Costumer confusion. They wouldn't necessarily realize that Mavericks is the better and latest version. they'd see the price tag on mountain lion or lion and think "gee, since it costs more, it must be better!"

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Maybe by chance the ability to redownload them is fixed. Yesterday I would hit "download" for Mountain Lion and it just had a grayed out box after clicking that and it was never initiated.

Mavericks isn't free for users of 10.5 and below, so this makes sense.

Well I don't really think anything in the "below" category is compatible. :p And hell, if you are on 10.5 still and running a compatible machine, I think it's amazing you can upgrade to an OS 6 years newer for $20.

TylerL

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2002
I get still offering Snow Leopard and Lion, but Mountain Lion and Mavericks share the same system requirements.
There's no reason I can think of to run (let alone spend time and money installing) Mountain Lion, now that Mavericks is out...not to mention FREE.

----------

Is there a Mac that shipped with 10.5 that can run OSXM?
Yes. In fact, there are a few models (Mid 2007 iMac, etc) that originally shipped with 10.4!

SteaKnife

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2012
Grover CO
THis makes sense for Lion since some might have stayed with SL and Lion is the latest their mac can run and its gone from the store, but Why ML? If your Mac can run ML why not just get M?

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2013
Hyrule
If my computer could not run Mountain Lion or later, I'd definitely take Snow Leopard over the half-baked Lion.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Oh, this is good.

Or, Apple could have just kept it on the Mac App dtore. There is no reason to remove stuff, if it s all digital delivery now-a-days.

Why is switching to buy only models?? makes no sense.. Particually for previous versions. Makes it easier too to upgrade.

bkribbs

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2012
I get still offering Snow Leopard and Lion, but Mountain Lion and Mavericks share the same system requirements.
There's no reason I can think of to run (let alone spend time and money installing) Mountain Lion, now that Mavericks is out...not to mention FREE.

----------

Yes. In fact, there are a few models (Mid 2007 iMac, etc) that originally shipped with 10.4!

For one, gaming sucks on Mavericks. I can't play mine craft with ~20 FPS. Until that's fixed, I'm going to try to install ML.

Of course I can't seem to download it from the MAS, as it just does nothing when I click download so...

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2013
Hyrule
For one, gaming sucks on Mavericks. I can't play mine craft with ~20 FPS. Until that's fixed, I'm going to try to install ML.

Of course I can't seem to download it from the MAS, as it just does nothing when I click download so...

I don't know if gaming in general sucks, maybe just Minecraft. Mavericks did something to Java. It was suddenly uninstalled after I upgraded, and I had to update it (which I hate doing). I did a very quick and incomplete test of Minecraft, and it seemed like it was slightly slower than before.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.