Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
Out of curiosity, are there any USB wireless adapters that work with Mac OS X? I work at a CompUSA and there are sometimes customers that have older Macs that use the Airport cards that are no longer available. What would be a good USB alternative for them?

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
any thing listed here combined with the driver for sale there should work. i think some other company (sonnet maybe) makes pci wireless cards for mac.

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
neoelectronaut said:
Out of curiosity, are there any USB wireless adapters that work with Mac OS X? I work at a CompUSA and there are sometimes customers that have older Macs that use the Airport cards that are no longer available. What would be a good USB alternative for them?

the problem with USb adaptors is that the next OS update may break any driver support they do have, whihc can be flaky already. Ethernet based devices are much, much more reliable since they don't require drivers in the first place. linksys, belkin, dlink and macsense all make such products, and they work great. the macsense one is particularly neat becuase it uses USB for power, but networks through ethernet.

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
strider42 said:
the problem with USb adaptors is that the next OS update may break any driver support they do have, whihc can be flaky already. Ethernet based devices are much, much more reliable since they don't require drivers in the first place. linksys, belkin, dlink and macsense all make such products, and they work great. the macsense one is particularly neat becuase it uses USB for power, but networks through ethernet.

Ethernet simply isn't an option. Customers want wireless, and airport cards are next to impossible to find these days.

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
neoelectronaut said:
Ethernet simply isn't an option. Customers want wireless, and airport cards are next to impossible to find these days.

WHat he is talking about are ethernet wireless adapters, not ethernet connection.....They are small boxed that plug into your ethernet port and provide your mac with wireless capabilities, have a look at the linksys wireless gaming adapter for an idea of what he's talking about,

SHadow

Edit: original airport cards can still be readily found on ebay, although they are sometimes sold at a premium.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
For a while, I used (or tried to..) a DWL-122. It may look good because it's cheap compared to the original AirPort cards, but it is HORRIBLE.

It always locked up my system and never connected.

So, I'm not sure of which USB adapter works, but I know the DWL-122 DOESN'T. Stay away from it if you're using it on a Mac. (Works perfectly on a windows box, though)

IndigoQuack

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2005
Scotland
FWIW, I've had no major problems using the D-Link DWL-122 with my G3 iMac running Panther.

It always connects to my WLAN properly and is plenty fast enough for what I do with it, despite the USB 1.1 bandwith limitation.

The only issue seems to be if I do a warm-reboot, the Mac doesn't recognise it after the reboot, but this can be resolved simply by disconnecting and then re-connecting the DWL-122. It's no biggie.

What I would say if you decide to spring for it is, download the latest drivers from the net, as what's provided on the CD has apparantley caused problems for a few people.

As always, YMMV, but I'm glad to report no problems at my end and it provided a much easier (not to mention cheaper) solution than trying to source a secondhand Airport card.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.