Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Accord3

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 22, 2012
Hampshire, UK
Hi guys

Downloaded Mavericks this morning and all is OK apart from when i go to install Handbrake it says

“HandBrake” can’t be opened because it is from an unidentified developer.

Can someone please advise a workaround for this so i can install.

Thanks in advance

Designed4Mac

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2013
I Wish I Knew
Hi guys

Downloaded Mavericks this morning and all is OK apart from when i go to install Handbrake it says

“HandBrake” can’t be opened because it is from an unidentified developer.

Can someone please advise a workaround for this so i can install.

Thanks in advance

go to system preferences, security and privacy, general, unlock to make changes and allow apps downloaded from anywhere :)

jhfenton

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
You can bypass the restriction on a case-by-case basis, which I prefer, by right-click-opening the app and selecting Open when the warning pops up. You only have to do it once for each app.

bige12

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2009
Vienna, VA
Hold Control down and click on the program and click open then it will pop up saying "“HandBrake” can’t be opened because it is from an unidentified developer" but you should see something saying open and click open and it should work

MrSkjold

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2013
is it works as it should

Hi, I am still awaiting to hear if anyone has problems with Handbrake before I will install Maverick. Have you experienced any problems with Handbrake after you upgrade to Maverick ? or is it works as it should ?

jhfenton

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
Hi, I am still awaiting to hear if anyone has problems with Handbrake before I will install Maverick. Have you experienced any problems with Handbrake after you upgrade to Maverick ? or is it works as it should ?

The latest version of Handbrake works fine for me under Mavericks.

tgara

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2012
Connecticut, USA
The latest version of Handbrake works fine for me under Mavericks.

Good to know, thanks.

I ripped about 50 DVDs over the summer using Handbrake. As part of a renovation project in our living room, I decided to go disc-less for both movies and music and stream content to the Apple TV. Movies take a while, but it's so worth it.

Benjamin99

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2012
The Woodlands, TX
Good to know, thanks.

I ripped about 50 DVDs over the summer using Handbrake. As part of a renovation project in our living room, I decided to go disc-less for both movies and music and stream content to the Apple TV. Movies take a while, but it's so worth it.

I did the same this summer using combination of MakeMKV, Handbrake, and Subler.....over 300 movies, about 75 home movies, and about 15 TV series.....takes a long time, but truly worth it. No issues here on Mavericks either.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
I've had no problems with Handbrake on Mavericks. Works as expected and rips take about the same time they took under ML.

As for the System Preferences "Identified Developer" thing, you can temporarily set it to "anywhere", run Handbrake once and then set it back to "identified developers" or even "app store" and Handbrake will still work until the next time you upgrade it. Then it's a quick round trip to System Preferences to allow anywhere once again so you can run Handbrake just once. Anything that has been run once becomes "trusted".

slynger

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2010
So I just discovered Handbrake about a week ago. All I can say is WOW! I'm going to be busy the next few months ripping my movies. A quick question, and I know it's not quite in the right place, but if I could find a blu-ray player for the laptop (I've heard a few exist), would Handbrake rip the blu version, or I would I still have to do the DVD version?

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
To convert a (legally owned) bluray you need a 2 step process.

1. Use a decryption app like makemkv to decrypt the movie and put on your hard drive.

2. Run the decrypted movie (.mkv if you use the app above) thru handbrake to make an aTV/ipad compatible file.

3. (Optional) use subler to Tag the file with box art/actors/description.

slynger

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2010
To convert a (legally owned) bluray you need a 2 step process.

1. Use a decryption app like makemkv to decrypt the movie and put on your hard drive.

2. Run the decrypted movie (.mkv if you use the app above) thru handbrake to make an aTV/ipad compatible file.

3. (Optional) use subler to Tag the file with box art/actors/description.

I currently use MetaX for tagging info (it was recommended in the article about Handbrake), is subler better?

slynger

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2010
I didn't know it ceased to be updated, might have to try Z. Thanks for the link.

freddie554

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2014
Problems on macbook pro

Handbrake works great on my mid 2010 iMac 27 inch i3 on mountain lion, but if I use my 2013 15 inch macbook pro with retina, mavericks, the video is completely distorted and skips. If I look at the live preview before I press start, the majority of the screen is green with different colored pixels flashing and you can see some actual video and sound skipping around. Anyone ever run into this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.