Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I have a WD portable drive and so far its been rock solid, no issues with Mavericks. The same goes with my Drobo mini.

It looks like if you install the software from WD, that's where things can get tricky.

There's a thread here about Pegasus TB drives incurring similar issues when Mavericks was in beta, so its definitely something to keep an eye on.

beyond

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
So far I think people having this major problem have their units working in raid mode.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
So far I think people having this major problem have their units working in raid mode.

That seems to fit with the Pegasus issue during the beta period.

As I mentioned I'm running my Drobo Mini (using their proprietary RAID implementation) with Mavericks and so far no issues.

iOrbit

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
does anyone have more information on this? :eek:

i use several external drives, they are all independent, no RAID configurations but i am still very worried by this thread. i have alot of data that is vulnerable since i dont own enough drives to back up what i have.

ironically i have been runing mavericks on an external drive itsself, i haven't had an issue, but i have so much of my itunes meda etc on my drives.

beyond

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
does anyone have more information on this? :eek:

i use several external drives, they are all independent, no RAID configurations but i am still very worried by this thread. i have alot of data that is vulnerable since i dont own enough drives to back up what i have.

ironically i have been runing mavericks on an external drive itsself, i haven't had an issue, but i have so much of my itunes meda etc on my drives.

All I can say it's consistent behaviour on my mac mini (2012). I can't rely on my WD drive at all. I do believe the problems are a mavericks/WD software combo. Hopefully it will be sorted fast. In all my Mac years I have never came across anything as vicious as this when it comes to OS updates.

devman

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
AU
I have an external WD 1TB drive that was a time machine backup device. It was corrupted yesterday by Mavericks and the drive is now lost. Neither Drive Genius or Diskwarrior or Disk Utility could recover it. FWIW.

jhfenton

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
I've been running Mavericks with multiple external USB and Firewire 800 drives for months, without any issues. None of them are WD or involve any proprietary drivers (other than Paragon NTFS 10). Specifically, I have a 1TB Seagate drive in a USB 3.0 dock that holds my music, photos, and development projects; a 4TB Seagate Backup Plus USB 3.0 drive that is devoted to Time Machine; and two 4TB G-Tech Firewire 800 drives formatted to NTFS that hold the upstairs copy of our video library. I have a second USB 3.0 dock that is used to swap various bare drives in and out (rotated clone backups and a Windows 8 boot volume).

I've had no data integrity issues. (But I assume drives are going to fail, so everything is still backed up, generally more than once.)

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
Running 2 Buffalo DriveStation's (1TB each) on FW800 (Late 09 mini) with no issues. Used as both storage and TM backup.

EDIT: The drives in the DriveStations are Seagate... so it appears your issues are largely confined to WD drives. I have had nearly a dozen failed MyBooks in the past so I shun them now.

Last edited:

TrashCanBin

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2013
I haven't lost any data, but my 3 TB USB 3 WD drive is doing something all the time. It's like it's reading/writting something, but no app registers that. Also when i boot in ML it's operates differently even under load. Something is really wrong with the driver or something.

PinkWaters

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2009
yesterday my external time machine backup suddenly gave me the error message: drive is read only, i couldn't repartition it nor repairing it, so only thing that worked is that I erase the partition, and now its working again.
seems there is something wrong with mavericks.

fikonhjul

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2007
Sweden
Oh, yes it's bad

Yesterday, my time machine drive -- a Western Digital MyBook Studio II 6 TB, RAID 0, connected via Apple's Thunderbolt to FireWire 800 adapter -- came up empty and with a different name. It looked just like when i bought it.

It was the second time I connected it since moving to Mavericks. The first time everything seemed OK. I have several other WDC drives and I don't dare using them now.

Last edited:

apomarinov

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2013
Wow, I came on here to search for an answer to my problem, but didnt expect to find something like this :eek: So I've got my internal mac mini seagate drive as an external usb one, partitioned to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and ExFAT and whats happening is that Mavericks wont stop indexing the Mac OS Extended (Journaled) partition.
9db6531db81fbb98.png

Edit: As I see now, it seems it indexes every time I log in.

Last edited:

jtfolden

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
Springfield, Ohio
So it would seem it's an issue mostly with wd drives.

Is it the drives or is it the WD software? After reading most of the other discussions on this issue, I'm thinking it's the software. One user in particular, running the WD Manager said that a NON WD external drive was formatted but labeled as a MyBook afterwards. I don't think OS X would do that.

ern

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2011
I stuck in the same situation. My WD Mybook Studio II was bought just 6 months ago. Now it's labeled MyBook and emptied. Is there any suggestion? There's all my CD ripped in it. I really don't want to work a month again. :mad::mad:

Droidrage729

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2012
I just updated and mavericks is playing. Nicely with my 3tb seagate external. Back. Ups are going as scheduled no issues just smooth sailing which is why I'm on a Mac to begin with.

fb0r

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2012
Sweden
FWIW I've got no less than three WD drives rotating as Time Machine backups. Two of them are WD MyPassport USB 3 externals (2GB and 1GB respectively) for on-the-go backups and the third is a WD MyBook Live connected to my router as a simple NAS (with the built-in Time Machine server enabled.) The MyBook Live is being accessed as a simple, no-frills shared storage both from my PC and several Macs running OS X Mavericks. All three drives work without issues with OS X Mavericks but then I'm not using any bundled WD software at all apart from (of course) the WD firmware on the MyBook Live.

Considering that almost all the reports in the linked threads mention WD MyBook Studios and there is the odd mention of the WD Drive Manager as well I highly suspect (but could be wrong) that the issues have something to do with software incompatibilities between Mavericks and a) bundled WD software or b) the WD firmware for the MyBook Studios.

Personally I've always made sure to avoid installing any manufacturer bundled hard drive software, both on OS X and Windows. Especially if it's WD software...

beyond

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
The wd drive manager is needed to config the unit....raid 1 and so on...

Last edited:

amoergosum

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2008
This is just unbelievable.
Has this happened to Western Digital Elements external hard drives, too?
I'm scared now to connect my hard drives after the update.

So this is why Mavericks is free.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
So it would seem it's an issue mostly with wd drives.

I have some WD drives - but when I buy a drive, regardless of maker, I wipe it and reformat it as HFS. Not interested in any of the "helpful" software they've installed.

PinkWaters

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2009
My external HDD, is a seagate one, but I replaced its internal hdd with a WD Green one, it doesnt have any software or whatsoever, and same issue happened to me

beyond

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
I have some WD drives - but when I buy a drive, regardless of maker, I wipe it and reformat it as HFS. Not interested in any of the "helpful" software they've installed.

Like I said, you need the "wd drive manager" to config the mybook studio ll units… once you set the drive to the raid mode you want - you can uninstall the drive manager.

Last edited:

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
I have an external WD 1TB drive that was a time machine backup device. It was corrupted yesterday by Mavericks and the drive is now lost. Neither Drive Genius or Diskwarrior or Disk Utility could recover it. FWIW.
Oh wow seriously was it a WD Elements by any chance? I have a WD Elements 1.5TB that I do CCC clones with that I'm now scared to use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.