Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
You certainly got some wonderful comments on this forum and YouTube. You certainly have the editing skill and the flair to try and tell a story involving two people.
My main concern is the colour gradient which left this video looking flat. The props could have been a touch better.
Try and not leave your audience wondering for an end unless it is a powerful story. Like the film on the end. "Planet of The Apes".
Full marks and i would like to know what editing software did you use?:)

I'm assuming that you're responding to jconnorsimpson?

Coopdee

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2013
I made this short comedy adventure film with my Nikon if you like it, comment and ill make more, I worked hard and I had no help doing it, ohh what would I do without a Tripod?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqkeK4hFF-s

Telak

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2013
Here rests my home

Hi guys,
I would like to show you my first attempt as a director, before I went to film school...this was a micro budget production. I would appreciate some feedback to improve, thanks :)

https://vimeo.com/35679059

daybreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
Telak,
You say some feedback. Was it me or some shots out of focus?. Many will praise you for your good work. The radio shot did not make sense, OFF or ON?
Never see him turn radio on.
The music was far to overpowering for this sweet nice video.
I did like the video but the pace was far to slow.

Telak

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2013
Telak,
You say some feedback. Was it me or some shots out of focus?. Many will praise you for your good work. The radio shot did not make sense, OFF or ON?
Never see him turn radio on.
The music was far to overpowering for this sweet nice video.
I did like the video but the pace was far to slow.

Some shots are out of focus on purpose, for example, in the first few minutes I wanted to create a sense of mystery and so I hided his face. The pace is slow because it's the usual pace in a small village, he is alone, he is the last inhabitant. The radio was off and he turned it on, once he did that the soundtrack stopped, the radio masked it...the soundtrack is actually death coming for him, it's a calling...it was designed to disturb people, make them uncomfortable. I know it was a big risk and I do understand your opinion. This is personal for me, I spent a lot of time in that village when I was a kid...In my country (Portugal) the country side is slowly disappearing...old people die alone and all our traditions and history dies with them. I was sad and angry at the time when I did this short and that is what I felt. Thank you for you comment.

daybreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
You are only highlighting what interest you and you are not addressing the issue you can see.
Why not make a documentary style video to show the decline of village life? and use people.
There was no risk with your video. But in the editing room you must decide if certain shots work.
Thank you for all that information. Like i said i did enjoy your video and nice bit of acting from the gentleman.:)

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
Cool, did you basically spend the day with your camera set to bracket/burst/continuous shooting mode?

I was there as the event photographer and after experimenting with an event earlier in the year I figured that if I average 3-4 shots per 'scene' with more or less depending on circumstances you can get a nice little flowing piece like this which has only added value to my service.

I don't have the camera on burst mode when shooting as often there are a few seconds between the shots and they aren't taken as quickly as you might think. However, for things like spraying champagne I do shoot as quickly as possible!

Telak

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2013
Desperation (2013) Short film

A nationwide crisis and austerity measures push a man towards desperate actions that will put the existence of his family at risk. To what lengths would one go to protect one's family from an uncertain future?

http://youtu.be/aIspQ1-gTY4

shineanna

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2014
Irish short film

Interesting thread. That's quite a list you've got there!

I'm shooting a short film in a couple of weeks on an F3. But alas, great camera does not a great film make!

Here's the link the the Facebook page, the film will be up there eventually after we've done the festival circuit. But in the meantime it should hopefully prove to be an interesting insight into getting the film made as we're going to be updating it regularly!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/A-Risky-Undertaking/187684391431316?notif_t=page_new_likes

nick2903

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2014
My first short film about a guy who goes on a blind date that goes horribly wrong, but he gets a chance to go back and relive the date and try and win the girl.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.