Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
The older generation knows her for being Bob Newhart's receptionist. The younger crowd knew her better as Bart's teacher, Edna Krabappel.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-marcia-wallace-dead-20131026,0,3012297.story
Marcia Wallace, the star of "The Bob Newhart Show" and "The Simpsons," died Friday, according to several media reports. She was 70 and had reportedly been in ill health, although the cause of her condition was not specified.

Wallace's blazing red hair and bubbly delivery were tailor-made for the role of the straight-laced Newhart's daffy receptionist on the hit CBS show. The part was reportedly written specifically for her at the behest of CBS founder Bill Paley.

She would remain with "The Bob Newhart Show" for its six-season run before seguewaying into guest appearances on shows like "ALF" and "Murphy Brown," and becoming a regular presence on game shows such as :The 25,000 Pyramid" and "Hollywood Squares."

She would also build a second career as a voice-over actress, giving life to Edna Krabappel, Bart Simpson's cynical fourth grade teacher on "The Simpsons." The role earned her an Emmy Award for Outstanding Voice-Over Performance in 1992.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I remember her from "The Bob Newhart Show" (I'm from the MUCH older generation!), and although her career was limited to only a few roles, she did them well and added enjoyment to the shows on which she appeared.

And if you're sitting where I am sitting...70 is far too young...

needfx

Suspended
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
I remember her from "The Bob Newhart Show" (I'm from the MUCH older generation!), and although her career was limited to only a few roles, she did them well and added enjoyment to the shows on which she appeared.

unless they're 70 dog years

RIP Marcia

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

Yes, agreed, 70 (the old 'three score and ten') is far too young to die, these days. And 'The Simpsons' is a clever, classy, highly intelligent, witty, well-written show.......

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.