Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ppcg4mac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2012
Northwest Kansas
Does anyone know of some apps that are still compatible with iOS 4.2.1 and the 2nd generation iPod touch. I recently had to wipe mine and restart from a old backup. All I have on it now is Opera and Pandora (the only 2 apps that were on it at the backup time. Now that iOS 6 is out it seems that every app is for iOS 4.3 or 5+. Any help would be appreciated.

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
You're not going to have any luck.

Apple allows two ways to run apps on your device:

1) You are required to maintain your own database of local app backups along with a revision history (just in case an update is released that removes support for your device).

2) You keep buying the latest device.

Apple knows most people won't bother with #1.

Me? I'm going with #1. I do have my own local database and app repository, complete with changelogs.
I didn't start it in time to save apps compatible with iOS 3.x, 4.0.x, or 4.1, but I have many 4.2.1 and 4.3.x apps backed up.

Solver

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
USA
Look for vintapps in the Apple app store. It is made for finding the early apps.

glsillygili

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2011
New York
Does anyone know of some apps that are still compatible with iOS 4.2.1 and the 2nd generation iPod touch. I recently had to wipe mine and restart from a old backup. All I have on it now is Opera and Pandora (the only 2 apps that were on it at the backup time. Now that iOS 6 is out it seems that every app is for iOS 4.3 or 5+. Any help would be appreciated.

i think its time to get a new ipod or maybe a android even GG

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011

You can't do much other than, as the others stated,

- install a well-known pirate JB tweak (allowing for installing IPA's from any source, with any signature) and Google for IPA's. Probably this is the best way for you NOW as you haven't backed up your old IPA's, that is, you can't go the "let's restore an old IPA from my local archive" way (third bullet below).

- use apps discovering apps in the AppStore still compatible with your handset. This won't help much in finding a specific app - only generic ones. You may have luck in running into an app that at least partly resembles the app you're looking for.

- maintain your own IPA archive.

Apple is pretty greedy and, in Sep/2012, have rendered even models that were actively in Apple Stores up to late Sep/2010 completely incompatible with new apps.

This (greed and the accompanying let's-screw-up-customers approach) is one of the worst things I really despise in Apple. Google is allowing for devs upload apps compatible even with the earliest (2008) Android versions. Apple could easily do the same but no - they want you to upgrade your hardware.

mackerm

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2013
Los Angeles County
Apple is pretty greedy and, in Sep/2012, have rendered even models that were actively in Apple Stores up to late Sep/2010 completely incompatible with new apps.

This (greed and the accompanying let's-screw-up-customers approach) is one of the worst things I really despise in Apple. Google is allowing for devs upload apps compatible even with the earliest (2008) Android versions. Apple could easily do the same but no - they want you to upgrade your hardware.

I heard about this about a month ago and have been doing a lot of reading to get to the bottom of it. I found an article which basically backs up what you're saying: http://thenextweb.com/apple/2013/03...accept-any-apps-that-use-udids-as-of-may-1st/

However, in the middle of the article, it notes "some hacky methods" which allow developers to make apps compatible with older devices. I've made a search tool for finding compatible apps, and I can verify there are new apps in the iTunes store which are compatible with the iPod Touch 2G, which say "optimized for iPhone 5" and show the tall screen in the preview pages. Apparently developers have refined those "hacky methods." I really hope somebody makes an up-to-date eBook reader.

Here's my tool for finding apps which are compatible with older devices:
iOSSearch: Find games and apps for 1st and 2nd generation iPod Touch, iPhone 3G, iOS 4.2.1 and 3.1.3

Last edited:

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
However, in the middle of the article, it notes "some hacky methods" which allow developers to make apps compatible with older devices.

Great find, thanks! (Too bad it's pretty complicated and, consequently, very few devs will do what's explained there.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.