Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

techiebug

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 20, 2013
I really can't decide now. My mind tells me to get the 32gb but my wallet says the 16gb lol. Now walmart sells the 16gb for 480 making it a $120 difference, plus the tax for the 32gb will be a bit higher, too. That's a significant amount if you ask me :( do you think it's worth it?

Ps: I don't plan to get a 64gb or higher

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
I really can't decide now. My mind tells me to get the 32gb but my wallet says the 16gb lol. Now walmart sells the 16gb for 480 making it a $120 difference, plus the tax for the 32gb will be a bit higher, too. That's a significant amount if you ask me :( do you think it's worth it?

Get the 32 gb. The extra $120 is $10 a month essentially for the year for a lot more storage and ease of mind.

Cooks919

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2013
California
I would go with the 32, 16 seemed too small to me when I was buying my ipad 4. With iWork some music and other small apps I am using 10 gb. A 16gb ipad would almost be filled with my usage right now and I haven't even began to use as much storage as I eventually will

Eckscaliber

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2012
My iPad 3 was 16GB. It didn't take too long for me to realize I needed the 32GB. Money was the reason I didn't get it. I'm going to overextend myself to get a 32GB Air, but I know I must.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Really depends on what you're going to be doing with it. If you're mostly just streaming stuff, 16GB is good enough. If your wallet can't take it, don't get the 32GB model. Just manage stuff on the iPad more frequently.

Epiphron

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2010
i got the 16gb ipad 4 to save money and definitely regretted it. the micromanagement of every little app and media/photos to get them to fit is ridiculous. Especially considering nowadays, all the big retina ipad apps are 750MB+ in size and growing. Most definitely getting the 32gb this time around

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
Save your money for the 32GB if you have to. The 16GB you will regret especially with all the high res graphics and HUGE apps.

JGWolven

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2013
I agree. 32 gb will be well worth it. You might have the initial buyers remorse but you know you will appreciate the extra storage 6 months from now.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
You came here and asked for an opinion. Mine is to get 128. Pretty sure that opinion is not what you wanted to hear.

So, within your choices, 32gb. Why ask?

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
You haven't said what your usage is. As a general rule, I recommend people get as much storage as they can afford. Since you can't upgrade it later, it is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. However, some use cases can be supported by 16GB with little or no issue.

Get the 16GB. If you decide to load up on music and videos and games, and run out of space, delete the stuff you use the least. Or regret your purchase. Either way.

Get the 32GB. If you decide NOT to load up on music and videos and games, then you are walking around with 20 unused GB and wasted $120. Or you can choose to load up on movies and music and games. Either way.

Pick your poison. :D

pear21

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2012
Michigan

Everyone here has given you some good reasons to get the 32GB and thats what I say you should get as well, those extra 16GB will help ensure you can store a ton more movies and have the best games out there and not have to worry about how much space they take up.

Here is one other tip that should help sway you to the 32GB, in a few years when you go to sell the iPad air, if you have the 32GB you will be able to sell it for a good amount more so you will be making some of that extra $100 back.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
...if you have the 32GB you will be able to sell it for a good amount more so you will be making some of that extra $100 back.

Have you seen the used prices differences lately? A "good" amount more is like $20. Sure, that is "some" of the $100, but resale value is a bad consideration for buying tech gadgets.

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
I have a 16Gig iPad2. I have to shuffle stuff to and fro all the time. I removed all photos, except the few I take with the iPAd, I removed all by a couple playlists for music, and I have bare minimum of videos and have to plan out moving videos for future use. All of this could have been avoided, had I gone with the 32 Gig version.

Save up some $$$ and get the 32, if you plan on keeping it for a while. Or go with the 16, if you don't see yourself with a photo library, music library, or video library - or can stomach shuffling those all the time.

Heresiarch

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2012
Netherlands
32gb. I'm using a 16gb iPad 3 and it sucks: I'm a fan of boardgames, yet even simple iOS boardgames takes at least a few hundreds of MB, while games like Magic 2013 and 2014 takes around 1.3 gb a piece. Therefore I couldn't put any MP3 on it.

If you love watching movies, reading HD cartoons/mangas, or have a lot of high quality photos, the situation will be even worse. On my iPad the photos app takes 1.1 gb, and I don't even use photostream - my iPad will explode from it if I use that.

Even if you don't play games nor watch movies, apps such as iWork takes at least a few hundreds of MB.

The worst thing of me is: even if you have just exactly 15.5 gb used on your iPad, you'll have a hard time in future use, because the iPad requires extra space for operations such as updating apps. I wanted to update a few games but I couldn't because it tells me I need 1.5 gb of free space. You can imagine my frustration.

So don't think too much, just go 32 gb. Apple is evil at the price setting of this, but what choice do we have?

Vertigo1

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2013
You came here and asked for an opinion. Mine is to get 128. Pretty sure that opinion is not what you wanted to hear.

So, within your choices, 32gb. Why ask?

Oh get a grip. He specifically asked whether the 32GB was worth the additional expense over a 16GB, not for your pointless opinion to get 128GB.

I suppose if someone asked you whether you thought the additional cost of an Audi over a Ford was worth it, you'd tell them to get a Bentley?

scupking

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2010
I had 16 on my iPad 3 and mini. I'm now down to 2GB left. I would say 32GBs is what you want. I'm going 32 on my next iPad.

MLAM

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2011
United Kingdom
I think even if you didn't listen to much music but have a lot of apps/games then 16GB would run out pretty quick.

Don't forget as well the actual storage you have will be less than 16GB due to formatting of memory and iOS 7 takes up more room than say iOS 6 or iOS 5 would have done on previous iPad's.

This would apply for the future too when iOS 8 and iOS 9 comes out I'd expect.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
Oh get a grip. He specifically asked whether the 32GB was worth the additional expense over a 16GB, not for your pointless opinion to get 128GB.

I suppose if someone asked you whether you thought the additional cost of an Audi over a Ford was worth it, you'd tell them to get a Bentley?

Hmmm..... Audi, Bentley.

Nah, get a Tesla.

LOL!

And, yea, I can see where some people think an extra $100 to double memory from 64 to 128 is pointless. And, I can see where some people say buying 16gb is also pointless.

Without REALLY knowing what the OP will be doing, it is hard to say.

Internaut

macrumors 65816
Personally, I'd keep it simple and never buy below 32. However, in terms of choosing one over the other? If you mostly stream, and don't have space consuming games (i.e. you're fully cloudy), then 16gb will probably do. If you often find yourself out of fast internet coverage for short periods, then I'd recommend a minimum of 32. For what I do, with the 32, I find that on a typical 2-4 week trip, I can:

- Take 2-3 movies
- Sufficient music for me (I don't have a huge library, and like to discover new stuff through Spotify)
- Sufficient books
- A few TV programmes, downloaded from BBC iPlayer or 40D.

With a 16gb tablet, I'd struggle with that. Of course, if most of my businesses was in Europe or the US, perhaps a 16gb model would do (a lot our customers are in some of the less connected bits of Africa), but I would always go for a 32gb minimum.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
16GB exists to keep a specific price point. Apple is not Walmart, and they don't sell on low prices. But keeping a low price point is necessary to compete. So they keep the 16GB alive for all the folks who see the $100 cheaper price and say "wow, that's cheap!". When it really isn't.

Reminisce32

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2009
Save your money for the 32GB if you have to. The 16GB you will regret especially with all the high res graphics and HUGE apps.
I compared apps on a iPad 3 and a iPhone 5 the other day and they were about the same size. Some were even a little smaller on the iPad 3. And no they weren't apps that had added content to them. Why would you think the Apps on an iPad 5 would be so huge compared to an iPad 3?

As for me, I'm going for 16GB. These things are expensive enough. Plus I don't ever add music or video to an iPad. I strictly use it for youtube, surfing, reading, and some games.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.