Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

inselstudent

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
UPDATE: Don't buy

Alright, I recently received the USB stick nearly one month after purchase. Back then, the site had stated a 15 days delay until shipping.

The stick was indeed quite speedy, with read speeds of up to 146MB/s, write speeds were at 20-30 MB/s (which, however, doesn't come close to the advertised 140MB/s read and write speeds if you ask me).

After a mere 3 days of use, though, the stick stopped working. Repairing via Disk Utility and Terminal commands did not work. Erasing didn't work, restoring didn't work.

So, all this caused me nothing but trouble. First the long wait until the article had even been shipped and during the past 2 weeks I also wrote them 2 emails enquiring about the shipping status which were replied to with 2-3 days delay.

Now it's defective and I have to go to the trouble of returning it (I'll likely have to pay the return costs) and getting my money back. All in all I can't really recommend the site nor their products.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, couple months ago I bought a used 2012 MBA 11" from eBay for as little as 650 euros (probably bc it has an American keyboard and I live in Germany, but the keyboard comes in handy for me as a computer science student anyway :)).

It's got the ram upgrade to 8GB, but unfortunately only a 64GB SSD.

Well, today I was once again searching the web for ways to add storage to my laptop, and came across this article (coincidentally from only two weeks ago):

http://gizmodo.com/youll-barely-notice-the-worlds-smallest-usb-3-0-flash-1446986913

PK_K1-macair2.jpg

http://pkparis.surinternet.com/epages/box23967.mobile/sece726aee3c1/?ObjectPath=/Shops/box23967

It's kinda the USB aequivalent to the nifty mini drive, though it's a lot faster (but obviously it sticks out a few millimeters.

According to the manufacturer, read and write speeds are up to 140 MB/s.

Prices are £30/55 for the 32GB and 64GB stick, respectively. Add £5 for Europe-wide shipping.

Anyway, just wanted to send this out to all 11" MBA owners unhappy with their purchase.

(Another alternative would of course have been to exchange the internal SSD, but prices here even for used ones (and not those by OWC) are currently more than 150 euros, and exchanging it voids your warranty.)

Last edited:

cerberusss

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2013
The Netherlands
Looks really nice... I've been compiling a little list, to see what's for sale in this regard, and I got the following:
  • Sandisk Cruzer Fit, currently max. 32 G
  • Kingston DataTraveler Micro, maximum 64 GB
  • Patriot Autobahn currently also 32 GB
  • Verbatim Store 'n' Stay, maximum 32 GB

It's pretty surprising this model goes to 64 gigs and is USB3, only the above-mentioned Kingston has 64 gigs and it's only USB2, and from the Amazon pictures it looks bigger than the one you mention.

Last edited:

inselstudent

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
Looks really nice... I've been compiling a little list, to see what's for sale in this regard, and I got the following:
  • Sandisk Cruzer Fit, currently max. 32 G
  • Kingston DataTraveler Micro, maximum 64 GB
  • Patriot Autobahn currently also 32 GB
  • Verbatim Store 'n' Stay, maximum 32 GB

It's pretty surprising this model goes to 64 gigs and is USB3, only the above-mentioned Kingston has 64 gigs and it's USB3, and from the Amazon pictures it looks bigger than the one you mention.

Are you sure the Kingston has USB 3? All I can find on Amazon is the model with USB 2.

inselstudent

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
It was a typo, fixed it, thanks.

Ah, thanks.

I've ordered the 64GB version btw, unfortunately shipping of that one is currently delayed and will take about 14 days.

Regarding your previous post, that's exactly why I was so thrilled when I read about that apparently quite new USB stick. But technology had to get there sooner or later, right? But there don't seem to be many Interested on here :p

Last edited:

DragonJade

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2009
Ah, thanks.

I've ordered the 64GB version btw, unfortunately shipping of that one is currently delayed and will take about 14 days.

Regarding your previous post, that's exactly why I was so thrilled when I read about that apparently quite new USB stick. But technology had to get there sooner or later, right? But there don't seem to be many Interested on here :(

Would love to see some speed test results when you get your stick. :)

DragonJade

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2009
Thanks for spotting that. But the funny thing is: I can't find it for sale. Perhaps it'll start shipping in the coming weeks.

You're right. I couldn't find it either. I did find some benchmarks for the 32GB version. Nothing to write home about:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
CrystalDiskMark 3.0.1 x64 (C) 2007-2010 hiyohiyo
Crystal Dew World : [...]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Sequential Read : 22.117 MB/s
Sequential Write : 3.843 MB/s
Random Read 512KB : 21.909 MB/s
Random Write 512KB : 1.392 MB/s
Random Read 4KB (QD=1) : 3.863 MB/s [ 943.0 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=1) : 0.439 MB/s [ 107.1 IOPS]
Random Read 4KB (QD=32) : 3.751 MB/s [ 915.9 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=32) : 0.460 MB/s [ 112.4 IOPS]

Test : 100 MB [J: 74.3% (22.1/29.8 GB)] (x3)
Date : 2012/10/15 14:12:44
OS : Windows 7 Home Premium Edition SP1 [6.1 Build 7601] (x64)

http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B00812F7...SIN=B00812F7O8&linkCode=asn&me=A1N7OKI5YLNGJC

The 1GB memory stick I bought in 2005 is faster than this.

Last edited:

Knara

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2010
Should be enough performance to make it worth getting to keep my iTunes or Dropbox folders off the main drive on a 128Gb SSD.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
ScanDisk Cruzer Fit is extremely slow. I had a 16GB one and it was a nightmare. Took almost 6 hours to copy 16GB of movies onto it. After about a week, I got rid of it and got the Patriot Autobahn 32GB. Its not the fastest, but it is a lot better than than the ScanDisk. Cost me like $20 to extend my 64GB Air to 96GB. Keep my iTunes/iPhoto Libraries on it.

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
Nice! I've been looking for a USB 3.0 flash drive that isn't a monster! Wish they had a 128GB option but thats pushing my luck! Oh well maybe I'll get this AND upgrade my rMBP's SSD with an OWC!

inselstudent

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
ScanDisk Cruzer Fit is extremely slow. I had a 16GB one and it was a nightmare. Took almost 6 hours to copy 16GB of movies onto it. After about a week, I got rid of it and got the Patriot Autobahn 32GB. Its not the fastest, but it is a lot better than than the ScanDisk. Cost me like $20 to extend my 64GB Air to 96GB. Keep my iTunes/iPhoto Libraries on it.

Hm, I've purchased a 32GB Cruzer Fit now because it was for sale and rather cheap and actually I can't complain about its speed. I've moved my entire iTunes and iPhoto libraries onto it and listening to music, watching movies and even browsing my iPhoto library works pretty well. I tested the speed using Blackmagic disc speed or something and writing was between 4 and 5 MB/s while reading was about 25 MB/s.

For instance, copying all that stuff onto the drive (21.5 GB) took less than 2 hours. Ofc it depends on your usage, but if all you want to outsource is music and some photos (my library is only at 3 gigs atm because I backed up all older photos to an external USB drive), then that stick is IMO okay.

I'm not regretting my order of the pkparis stick anyway, bc 64GB effectively doubles my space and the speed makes it even more usable.

Edit: and fwiw, it'll also look way better :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.