Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pinkoos

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 15, 2005
Texas
Anybody else having this issue? Nothing changed between the last time it was working (early this morning) and when it stopped working (later on this morning).

I've got an iPhone 5 that I updated to iOS 7 when it was released. I've setup Gmail via Exchange (was grandfathered in before Google took away Exchange ActiveSync support) and didn't have any issues with push, Exchange, etc.

I get the message, "Cannot Get Mail - the connection to the server failed" on the iOS Mail app. Also, when I try to send an email out, I get the "wooosh" sound like it sends but I never receive it at the recipient address (tested sending from my Gmail to work address).

However, the iOS Gmail app is working fine as are a couple of 3rd party apps I'm trying out (Mailbox and Boxer).

My work Exchange account setup on my iPhone is working fine.

Any thoughts? Could Google have somehow pulled the plug on my grandfathered EAS support when I updated to iOS 7 (albeit a few weeks late)?

Thanks.

~Ks383~

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2011
Gmail on iOS 7 Mail app suddenly stopped working this morning

The same thing happened to me this morning on my 4S that is running iOS 6.1.2. It seems to be working fine now though.

ozziegn

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
Central FL Area
gonna bump this thread. I just got my iPad Air and I can't get my gmail exchange working even though it's working just fine on my iPhone 5 which is also running iOS 7.

any ideas?

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
gonna bump this thread. I just got my iPad Air and I can't get my gmail exchange working even though it's working just fine on my iPhone 5 which is also running iOS 7.

any ideas?

Google stopped push to all new devices as of January 31st of this year that aren't android.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
Since Sept of last year. My iPad 3 that I just sold was also running iOS 7 was also working fine with gmail exchange service.

Ok then. I said any new device that isn't android after January 31, 2013, will have this issue. That is what is wrong with your iPad.

olikromberg

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2013
Hope this works for you

I had the same issue for a few days - I did a restore on my iPhone and the Gmail that used to work fine was now cocked up. (It also affected my Hotmail, but for that I only needed to put the password back in the settings).

So to fix the Gmail, I think something happens sometimes on the restore and it also seems to happen if you have 2-step authorisation enabled for Gmail (i.e. you login and then a passcode gets sent to your phone).

It seems like you need to go to this link,
https://accounts.google.com/b/0/IssuedAuthSubTokens#accesscodes

pop your password in, it'll tell you what has access to your Gmail account, and then at the bottom of the page, you set up a 2-step authorisation password for the Gmail application on your iphone.

You get a new unique random looking password, copy and paste it into the iphone in the password for Gmail in settings, it should verify and then green ticks come up and hey presto! Gmail working again.

I hope it works for you

Regards,

Oli

fregal

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2013
the solution from olikromberg works

thx for the solution olikromberg,
btw i register just to write this

:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.