Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jjayeeee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2010
Hi,
I'm new to owning a macbook still don't know how everything works with it I just pretty much know the basics and what I need to know to get by,

but I had downloaded some programs that I plain just want and would just like to wipe the computer out and start on a fresh new start.

I bought this computer out of the apple store on my mall I have two CDs and am just really confused on how to put this laptop back to it's factory settings, if someone could help me out it would be sooooooo appreciated

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Restoring your computer to factory settings

If you need to restore your computer to the original factory settings, you can use Disk Utility in the Mac OS X Installer.
Important: If you restore your computer to factory settings, everything on your computer (your user accounts, network settings, and all of your files and folders) will be deleted. Before you restore, back up any files you want to keep by copying them to another disk. Write down your network settings from Network preferences to make it easier to get connected again after reinstalling Mac OS X.

Insert the Mac OS X installation disc, and then double-click the Install Mac OS X icon.
Note: You can use Remote Install Mac OS X to restore your computer to factory settings on a Mac without an optical drive, using another computer’s optical drive. To use Remote Install Mac OS X, first follow the instructions in “Using Remote Install Mac OS X” later in this document, and then go to step 3 in this section.

In the Installer, click Utilities, and then click Restart.

When the Language Chooser appears, select your language, and then click the Continue button (looks like an arrow).

Choose Utilities > Disk Utility.

Select your disk from the list on the left, and then click the Erase tab.

Select Mac OS Extended (Journaled) from the Format pop-up menu, type a name for your disk, and then click Erase.

After the disk has been erased, choose Disk Utility > Quit Disk Utility, and then follow the instructions in the Mac OS X Installer to reinstall Mac OS X.

Note: Once the installation is complete, you may be prompted to use the Applications installation disc that came with your computer to reinstall your iLife applications (GarageBand, iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, and iWeb). To reinstall your iLife applications, insert the Applications installation disc, double-click the Install Bundled Software icon,
and then follow the onscreen instructions.

from http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/Snow_Leopard_Installation_Instructions.pdf
via http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...c+os+x+10.6&meta=&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai= or http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...SgA&q=restore+mac+to+factory+settings&spell=1

jjayeeee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2010
i inserted that disc and t took like an hour to download and i restarted my computer and nothing was changed

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
i inserted that disc and t took like an hour to download and i restarted my computer and nothing was changed

Have you taken the steps I copied and pasted from the linked official Apple support document?

If not, then your experience is expected, as Snow Leopard (Mac OS X 10.6) does only re-install the system without touching anything you might have installed.

So if you follow the steps I copied and pasted, you will see a fresh installation.
That's why I copied the steps. Sometimes reading is required.

jjayeeee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2010
but i can't follow the steps if it doesn't work like after the restart it doesn't go to making me select a language or anything like that

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
but i can't follow the steps if it doesn't work like after the restart it doesn't go to making me select a language or anything like that

So when you start the Mac while the restore DVD 1 (system) is inside the SuperDrive and press and hold down the C key to boot from the DVD, nothing happens?

Can you maybe describe the steps you have taken in more detail so we might get a clue what goes on?

Uru1968

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2013
Restoring mac to factory settings

I have followed all the instructions on how to set mac to factory settings and when I get to disk utility I click on macintosh hd then when I click on erase .... Nothing I am unable to click on anything, why is that

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.