Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dr.Defrant

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2013
So you are saying the bootcamp installation will not boot your MBPr if it is on an external drive?

Is your external drive Thunderbolt? It's a whole load more difficult to get Windows to boot off a USB device.

It will let me boot the cloned installation from my external drive but not once the bootcamp partition on my internal drive is deleted. I realise this is not the preferred method and I have followed several tutorials which say exactly what order to do things in (let windows 7 install drivers, clone, shut down after clone, remove thunderbolt drive, restart osx, delete internal partition, restart osx, alt booting etc.) all to no avail. Obviously you are not supposed to boot into the cloned drive with the bootcamp partition still installed to get it to work without the internal partition but I gave up on this as I figured a 20gb partition internally with the full space on my external drive was better than nothing. Maybe it is possible with a clone it just wouldn't work with the variations I tried and given I had to delete the windows partition each time (and therefore reinstall it) I eventually gave up. My drive is the LaCie Rugged thunderbolt. Also, for what it's worth, this works without cloning if you just use bootcamp assistant and then do the windows install on an external drive but you have to keep the 20gb internal partition. I am hopeful this windows prepared method will work however. I am yet to test since my MBPr is getting its screen replaced atm but I will post an update once I get a chance to try it out.

Last edited:

scienide09

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
Canada
There is a WHOLE load easier way. Just install windows on your internal drive using the Bootcamp Assistant as normal.

And then use Winclone to migrate the Windows installation over to whatever external device you like, and then delete the original internal Windows installation.

Winclone does cost you $30 but it's a useful tool to have for backing up your Bootcamp installation, resizing it, moving it whatever.

This whole process is dead easy and doesn't need any fiddling about editing installation files or anything else.

I'm interested in this method, as my SSD should be arriving within the next week, and my refurb iMac too.

Unfortunately Winclone doesn't see my Bootcamp partition at all. Anyone else hit this problem? I'm running 10.7.5. Disk Utility shows it but reports the partition as "not mounted", won't let me mount. The partition is reported as FAT. It's Win7 on the partition, if that matters.

EDIT/UPDATE: A separate program on my iMac reports the Win7 partition as NTFS. Any idea why this might be?

Last edited:

KaraH

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2012
DC
this is not correct.your random access with an external t-bolt ssd is far better then your random access of any internal mechanical hdd.

What about USB3? I am looking at external SSD drives and am not seeing a lot of TB enclosures out there.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Try this method for booting windows from an external drive. I did it and it works a treat.

http://bleeptobleep.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/mac-install-windows-7-or-8-on-external.html?m=1

rodrigoluizb

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2013
Campinas, SP, Brazil
I was wondering if, using this ssd as my boot drive, i will able to use bootcamp on this ssd, as well as my montain lion. I mean, i pretend to run macOSX and windows (via bootcamp) on the external lacie rugged ssd together.

KaraH

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2012
DC
Is it just a matter of mirroring the system partition (I assume the recovery ratition stays on the HDD?) ... does anyone know what happens when you run the OS updater with recovery on one drive and boot on another? Or should I just copy the new system to the SSD again?

calearne

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2013
United States
Warning do not install trim enabler!!!

It caused my iMovie app to lag/not respond when trying to open it.

I turned off trim and even deleted it using appcleaner and it still was causing problems.

I had to do a clean install to fix it.

I also have a question, Are these the best settings as far as garbage collection goes for the SSD?

Computer sleep [off/never]

Put hard disks to sleep when possible [off/unchecked]

Powernap [off/unchecked]

lugesm

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
Warning do not install trim enabler!!!

It caused my iMovie app to lag/not respond when trying to open it.

I turned off trim and even deleted it using appcleaner and it still was causing problems.

I had to do a clean install to fix it.

Powernap [off/unchecked]

Could some other explanation be possible ?
Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Kositch

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2013
DIY FD blackmagic slow write speed?

Hi, I created succesfuly DIY FD using internal 1TB HDD and external LaCie TB 120GB Rugged SSD (I know external storage is not officialy supported). Using OS 10.9, FD created on same version.

Everything is fine and running (recovery hd and bootcamp partitions stayed untouched, complete recovery of TM backup 450GB).

System is lot faster - booting with 5 desktops and lot apps under 30 s, Adobe LR, PS around 5s.

I have only one problem with results of Blackmagic benchmark - write is inbetween 50-100 MB/s and read inbetween 200-380 MB/s (see the screenshot). Quite a bit span in results, sometimes faster sometimes slower (once I measured write 270 MB/s). What I am concerned about are write speed, because when I copy 2 GB file on FD it shows on SSD 200 MB/s and more using iostat.

Dont know if it is just problem with my benchmark or FD is really slow, what does not seem regarding the practical use experience.

Thanks for answer and your opinion&experince!

Attachments

• bm.png
    bm.png
    738.5 KB · Views: 209

edolelkes

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2013
LaCie Porsche Design120GB SSD Slim

Has anybody an experience wit LaCie Porsche Design120GB SSD Slim? The producer declares 400Mb/s read speed. It has only USB3 connection (no TB). Will it be OK for primary boot disk on iMac 2013? Thanks a lot for comments.

InquisitiveAmI

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2012
Really interesting thread .
Just one question for something like a Samsung 512 840 pro SSD should I got with the desktop adapter and what sort of speeds am I expecting?

Blue Sun

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
Australia
Really interesting thread .
Just one question for something like a Samsung 512 840 pro SSD should I got with the desktop adapter and what sort of speeds am I expecting?

From what I've read so far - drives larger than 256GB will probably need dedicated power as the bus power over TB won't be enough, so you are correct in assuming you will need the desktop adapter.

In terms of speed, I'm not 100% sure, but you will likely see near-native SATA3 speeds. FWIW, I plan on picking up the 256GB Lacie rugged drive and using it as a boot drive. That way I don't have to worry about the SSD not receiving enough power over TB.

tennisguy

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2014
Kositch

KOSITCH - Any resolution? I'm experiencing same thing. All feels ok, but my Black Magic benches are in exactly same ballpark.

Makes me wonder if I should keep using the DIY fusion (since its working well) or try to separate and go boot drive SSD & Internal HDD for all else.

rbart

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2013
France
KOSITCH - Any resolution? I'm experiencing same thing. All feels ok, but my Black Magic benches are in exactly same ballpark.

Makes me wonder if I should keep using the DIY fusion (since its working well) or try to separate and go boot drive SSD & Internal HDD for all else.

I had the same setup (DIY FD with Lacie Rugged 120 and internal HD).
I had the same bad results.
The problem comes from the Sandisk U100 SSD that is built into le Lacie enclosure.
It has really very bad perfs in writing when the disk is almost full.
I hyave replaced it into the enclosure by a 840EVO 256Go and now I have very good performance.

Blue Sun

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
Australia
I just purchased the LaCie Rugged 256GB SSD (SanDisk U100) and have installed Mavericks running over Thunderbolt with my late 2013 27" iMac. The machine is a LOT faster now. It is running as if the SSD is hooked up directly over SATA3, very impressed!

BlackMagic results:
- Write = 285.3 MB/s
- Read = 379.3 MB/s

tennisguy

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2014
rbart & bluesun

rbart & bluesun....I appreciate your ideas and feedback.

Rbart, funny thing is I have the Samsung 840 Pro 256gb from the start. I'm wondering if my issue is that it is connected USB 3 and even though it is still new, maybe lack of TRIM is killing it. I previously had speeds of 250 write / 500 read, so it definitely slowed down. Maybe Black Magic just can't bench the DIY Fusions very well.

gazing

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2014
Brilliant thread , exactly what I needed.
I suppose my burning question is would the Samsung lacie setup suffice to boot windows 8 via boot camp alongside it having to handle light music production

Or would the buffalo ministration be better, maybe even g drive mobile?

Blue Sun

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
Australia
I suppose my burning question is would the Samsung lacie setup suffice to boot windows 8 via boot camp alongside it having to handle light music production

I've heard that the LaCie rugged can boot Windows over TB without any issues.

i used the samsung lacie option a while back, with bootcamp installed onto external 128gb drive. worked well

tbh 12 months later, i hardly ever use windows, and tbh am thinking will wipe the drive, and maybe try linux, as i really dislike windows os more n' more, with every new iteration!

LeoCheng

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2012
Just an FYI regarding booting my mid-2011 27" i7 from the new 256GB LaCie Rugged Thunderbolt SSD. In short, it works perfectly so far, and no surgery required (edit; 13 months - rock solid through may sleep cycles.). It wakes from sleep without issues. I cannot tell any real difference from an internal SSD. I use SuperDuper to mirror the SSD to the old HD boot partition once a week (in addition to TM and my other backups...). I'll report back periodically with updates.

I also enabled TRIM using Trim Enabler and a re-boot...

Blackmagic 1GB: W 250 MB/s R 378 MB/s (HDD ~90 and 95)

Boot Time to Login: 19.4s (was 90.1s with HDD)
Lightroom 4.2: 4.1s (was 14.7s)
Parallels XP Boot: 9.4s (was 45.8s)
iPhoto: 4.7s (was 14.7s)
Photoshop Load: 5.3s (was 12.7s)

While not as fast as a best in class internal 6GB SATA3 SSD, it's certainly an easy way to move to an SSD environment. I just rubber banded the drive to the back of my iMac after removing the orange bumper. No power required.

This is a cheaper and more compact external 256GB option than the GoFlex STAE122 + SSD + cable combo (~$420). The LaCie is $349 including the TB and USB3 cables.

Can you tell me what rubber band you use here and where you buy it? I am doing exact the same thing here. But I can not find a good rubber band to use.

Thanks

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
Can you tell me what rubber band you use here and where you buy it? I am doing exact the same thing here. But I can not find a good rubber band to use.

Thanks

You can obtain some small adhesive velcro "dots" which can be used to invisibly attach a small drive such as that to the iMac base stand. They peel off if you later change your mind.

LeoCheng

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2012
You can obtain some small adhesive velcro "dots" which can be used to invisibly attach a small drive such as that to the iMac base stand. They peel off if you later change your mind.

Thanks, it works. get it done.

MeValonicAcid

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2008
Belgium
Hi,

Anyone that has some experience on booting from an such an external SSD (Thunderbolt - Lacie) compared to the the 'inside' 1T Fusion drive in a late 2012 iMac (e.g. i7 - 3.4GHz version)?

Any major speed improvements noticed in boot and usage?

Thanks for sharing your experiences!

MVa

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.