Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While Apple's new Mac Pro doesn't launch until next month, the machine continues to occasionally surface in the results database for the popular Geekbench benchmarking tool. The first appearance came in June just after the redesigned Mac Pro was teased at Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference, with that machine running the high-end 12-core 2.7 GHz Xeon E5-2697 v2 from Intel's Ivy Bridge-E family. And in late September, a second entry appeared sharing details on a Mac Pro running the 8-core 3.0 GHz Xeon E5-1680 v2 chip.

A third Mac Pro entry has now shown up in the Geekbench results database, revealing the 6-core 3.5 GHz Xeon E5-1650 v2 chip that will also be an option in the new Mac Pro. As with the previously seen machines, this new Mac Pro is running a custom version of OS X Mavericks, build 13A4023. The machine's appearance leaves only the entry-level quad-core 3.7 GHz Xeon E5-1620 v2 yet unseen in early benchmarks.

While both the 6-core and 8-core machines were tested using Geekbench 3.1.2 in 32-bit mode, which allows for direct comparison of their benchmarks, the 12-core Mac Pro was tested using Geekbench 2.4.3, which used a different baseline and means that scores can not be directly compared. But between the 6-core and 8-core machines, the two unsurprisingly show similar single-core scores of around 3300 in Geekbench 3, while the newly surfaced 6-core machine sees a lower multi-core score of 18309 compared to the 24429 seen on the 8-core version.

geekbench_6_core_mac_pro_2013.jpg
The new 8-core Mac Pro had previously shown benchmark scores essentially on par with that of the highest-end 12-core Mac Pro models from 2010 and 2012, and while this new 6-core machine unsurprisingly falls short of that level, it does still easily top the fastest 8-core machine seen in the 2009 and 2010 models.

New Intel Xeon processors are certainly not the only horsepower improvements included in the new Mac Pro, as all machines will come standard with dual AMD FirePro graphics chips. And with the Mac Pro able to tap into those chips for general computation tasks via OpenCL, users will see significant improvements in real-world performance.

Apple's new Mac Pro launches in December, but the company has yet to announce a specific date in the month when it will become available.

Article Link: 6-Core Version of Apple's New Mac Pro Appears in Benchmarks

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
If memory serves, Mavericks will also utilise the GPU to aid with processing. I'm very interested to see how this translates to real-world performance, especially on the dual-GPU Mac Pro.

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
"While Apple's new Mac Pro doesn't launch until month"

Something's missing; I can't quite put my finger on it...

sputnikv

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2009
i suspect we'll see a display refresh after the imac's get their retina treatement, we should be seeing a mac mini refresh around that same time

sexpanther

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2010
I just got a MPBR 15 inch and was solo happy with my 13,000 odd geek bench score and now I feel so stupid. This Mac Pro is a beast.

lcmazza

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2012
Why do we have to see 32 bit tests on 64 bits high-performance machines?
Even the Macbook Air and the iPhone are 64 bits.

Geesh:confused:

SaxPlayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Dorset, England
It always makes my day to see some news about the Mac Pro on Mac Rumors. Can't wait to replace my Mac Pro 1,1 with one of these beasts.

I wish Apple would announce a firm date in December, though. I can't believe that at this late stage they haven't got everything planned out. They must have all the logistics of manufacturer and distribution all arranged and good to go.

At least if we knew when it was going to be available for order, we'd all be able to think about something else until the big day arrives! :rolleyes:

omnisphere

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2011
I do not think that this is apple testing? this is probably a hackintosh! I mean why 32-bit when Mavericks and Mountain Lion is only 64-bit, the score is not so high.
;)

aliensporebomb

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2005
Minneapolis, MN, USA, Urth
Couple things

Firstly, the Geekbench v2 32-and-64 bit versions gave differing results and the new Geekbench v3 also gives different results.

For instance, the 64-bit version of Geekbench v2 that I paid for shows my machine benches 10265 under Mavericks but the version 3 32-bit shows 8500 or so. I expected a drop but geez. I bet if I paid for the 64-bit v3 it still wouldn't equal my old score under 64-bit v2.

Honestly, it's a problem anyway since geekbench doesn't cover performance of your graphics card, it just covers performance on your cpu/memory/disk i/o.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.