Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dastinger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
You clearly don't own a mac at all then do you. Three of my macs don't sleep when power is pressed on 10.9 it's the same as pressing shift Ctrl eject on the older macs
Read my previous post. But I understand why you chose to ignore it :)

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Here's the problem. Some people apparently don't realize that you can hold down the power button for a couple of seconds and the same dialog appears. And for others, a third party extension called KeyRemap4Macbook is preventing the Macbook from doing that in Mavericks which they claim they will fix.

I own both a Macbook Pro and a Mac Mini. I know that tapping the power button will put the Macbook Pro to sleep. And doing the same thing will put the Mac Mini to sleep. Of course you can close the MacBook lid as an alternative but you can't on the Mac Mini or iMac so if the behavior for the button was different, then things wouldn't be consistent. And a single tap to sleep is faster than having to respond to a dialog. Also like most people, I put my machine to sleep far more often than I shut it off so this change makes all the sense in the world.

What's even better is that this behavior is also the same for my iPhone and iPad. So you don't have to think whether you're on a Macbook or iMac or Mac Mini or iPhone or iPad. It just consistently works.

dastinger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
Here's the problem. Some people apparently don't realize that you can hold down the power button for a couple of seconds and the same dialog appears. And for others, a third party extension called KeyRemap4Macbook is preventing the Macbook from doing that in Mavericks which they claim they will fix.

I own both a Macbook Pro and a Mac Mini. I know that tapping the power button will put the Macbook Pro to sleep. And doing the same thing will put the Mac Mini to sleep. Of course you can close the MacBook lid as an alternative but you can't on the Mac Mini or iMac so if the behavior for the button was different, then things wouldn't be consistent. And a single tap to sleep is faster than having to respond to a dialog. Also like most people, I put my machine to sleep far more often than I shut it off so this change makes all the sense in the world.

What's even better is that this behavior is also the same for my iPhone and iPad. So you don't have to think whether you're on a Macbook or iMac or Mac Mini or iPhone or iPad. It just consistently works.

Yes, I often hear my phone ringing and pick up my Macbook to answer the call. Now, it will happen far more often because the power button acts the same way on my Macbook and my phone! I don't even know what to say about this fanboy argument so I made up a totally ridiculous story.

And, as far as I know, an iMac, a Mac Mini and a Macbook are still different things so I hope some things to act differently.

But yes, it's my fault for keep on arguing against some things Apple does and wishing fanboys don't show up just to praise Apple for whatever they do. Let's just say that I have my opinion and you have yours. You feel happy because consistency is what matters across devices. I don't because I want it to work.. and hitting the power button in the middle of something making my screen to go off/mac sleeping, my music to stop and making me input the password just to continue with what I was doing is not making it work. I also find it funny that the ones in favour of this change are the ones who don't own a Retina or Air where the power button is on the keyboard.. interesting :rolleyes:

capegreg

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2013
Sarasota, Florida
you can also click on the apple logo top left and select shut down...

This is so typical of Apple to change the user experience without any options. I don't want to skin any cats here, I just want what was working for me--and from what I'm reading here, for a lot of others as well. I don't want my mac to go into sleep mode, and I don't want to use the trackpad to locate an apple icon. I just want to press the same button that I have been pressing for the last two plus years and hit the enter button so the laptop shuts down while unattended. I mean, for Christ's sake, if Apple takes away any more legacy features then we may as well go back to Windows.

Poindexter333

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2010
NYC metropolitan area
Argh!

Just to reiterate- I wouldn't care WHAT the frakking power button did, if I had the OPTION of selecting the function.

A tiny inadvertent tap turns my 2012 MBA screen black interrupting whatever work I was doing. I would prefer that it brings up the familiar sleep/shutdown, etc dialog box.

I am getting REALLY tired of this dumbing down of the Mac OS. I've never had a problem distinguishing between my iPhone and my laptop. (Nor an ass from an elbow for that matter.) I don't need identical operating systems- ESPECIALLY if that means dumbing down my laptop. Now if they wanted to smarten up the iOS, that's another thing.

What's next? Will some medieval (and unaccountable) government entity start designating any standing water on my property a "protected wetland," limiting the size of our soft drinks or changing the recipe for our favorite french fries?

dastinger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
Just to reiterate- I wouldn't care WHAT the frakking power button did, if I had the OPTION of selecting the function.

A tiny inadvertent tap turns my 2012 MBA screen black interrupting whatever work I was doing. I would prefer that it brings up the familiar sleep/shutdown, etc dialog box.

I am getting REALLY tired of this dumbing down of the Mac OS. I've never had a problem distinguishing between my iPhone and my laptop. (Nor an ass from an elbow for that matter.) I don't need identical operating systems- ESPECIALLY if that means dumbing down my laptop. Now if they wanted to smarten up the iOS, that's another thing.

What's next? Will some medieval (and unaccountable) government entity start designating any standing water on my property a "protected wetland," limiting the size of our soft drinks or changing the recipe for our favorite french fries?
This is so obvious that I can't understand how some people are on Apple's side on this matter. But, obviously, we will have to just accept it and get used to it.

nycjdc

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2007
I got big hands...and i'm on MBA 11" and MBA 13" and I type really quickly, so much so, that i have to backspace OFTEN. But in doing so, i reach up my pinky and I hit the "Black screen of death" button. What the ***** were they thinking at Braeburn? That we are like Granny Smiths? Or svelte Pink Lady?

Apple restore prior functionality to power button or give us the option to configure the ***** thing. You obviously don't know what is best for us anymore.

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
Fortunately that doesn't happen to me, I'm a bit more aware of where my fingers are going when I do things like backspace/delete (read: I semi touch type). If I were you I'd submit it as a bug since it is a clear obstruction. Windows has done this better, it gives you the option to change the default behaviour. Always found it a bit odd Apple didn't do something similar.

bkar89

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2012
Norway
My biggest grime with this is where that power button is placed... guess where... yeah right above the bloody backspace key... guess which button is a pain to press by accident? (Hint: It's not the volume up or eject key)

I don't see the issue for the cMBP (Powerbutton is located away from the keyboard), but on the Airs and rMBP this is a huge annoyance. Wonder what genius over at Apple thought this was a good idea...

olegunnar

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2013
If you type pmset -g in the console, you'll see an option called "Sleep On Power Button", whose value is 1. I imagine you can use pmset to manipulate that behaviour.

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
That option doesn't show on all Macs (it does on my Mac Pro, it doesn't on my MBA). The pmset manual doesn't mention anything about this option. Trying to set sleeponpowerbutton to 0 will only give you the message that the syntax is incorrect and you should look in the manual for the correct syntax. Probably undocumented feature.

Manic Harmonic

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2011
I feel bad for you guys with the MBA and rmbp models... It's absolutely ridiculous. It's not as big of a problem for me, since I still have an eject button, but I can't believe they didn't set an option to change this. I saw that powerblock app, hopefully someone will update it or maybe keyremap4macbook will add this option. If I had a MBA or rmbp I would seriously just take the thing apart and remove the rubber thing under the power button.

scrmtrey

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2013
I think this is ok. Becouse now it is acting the same way as the ios device power button.

Not a problem for me. If you are so angry about one button behavior than buy a HP laptop eith windows 8 feature to change power button behavior.

dastinger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
I think this is ok. Becouse now it is acting the same way as the ios device power button.

Not a problem for me. If you are so angry about one button behavior than buy a HP laptop eith windows 8 feature to change power button behavior.
A million facepalms to this kind of comments.

olegunnar

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2013
@Dyn

Gotcha, I didn't know that. I just spotted it while trying to keep Mavericks from hibernating.

uberfu

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2009
10.9.2 ONLY:

defaults write com.apple.loginwindow PowerButtonSleepsSystem -bool no

This reverts 10.9.2 back to pre Mavericks functionality. There is still a slight delay.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
10.9.2 ONLY:

defaults write com.apple.loginwindow PowerButtonSleepsSystem -bool no

This reverts 10.9.2 back to pre Mavericks functionality. There is still a slight delay.
I did a clean install of Yosemite and power button reverted to going to immediate sleep.

FYI: This still works in Yosemite! :D:cool:

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Pretty sure it's been mentioned a couple times in the 'all the little things' thread.

Press - sleep
Short hold - dialogue (sleep, shutdown, restart)
Long hold - forced power down

Apple expects you to look this stuff up online....

I guess users would find this out by accident..

And Apple keeps saying these things are simple to use..... HA ! It was.... but since now one button does multiple things depending on how long you've held it for...

How can u call that simple anymore than a button which does one thing only ?

It's getting to be like your car alarm...

To deactivate : press and hold for 5 blinks of a red light etc etc...

Simple for "them" maybe.... You almost need a degree to know this stuff now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.