Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

R.dub

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2012
Trying to get Windows 7 running on my Haswell iMac, but the Boot Camp drivers appear to be behind/incompatible with this hardware.

Has anyone successfully gotten Windows 7 running completely?

I have Windows 7 loaded and activated, and it works for non-Internet things. Most of my issues so far are with network drivers, the Broadcom controller. I can momentarily get internet access by disabling/enabling the network driver, but it fails quickly thereafter, like a driver conflict catches up a few seconds after.

Other issues include notes in Device Manager that various computer parts are not working, etc. The exclamation points, etc.

I have seen some other folks seeking help with this, but no solutions for this hardware yet--too new apparently. Some folks try to help by generically mentioning the Apple Boot Camp and Windows Support downloads, which I'm sure work well with pre-Haswell hardware... my needs are specific to the new iMac. I hope that new drivers are released soon by Apple, and/or that there are alternative Windows 7 drivers I can piece together and use.

R.dub

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2012
rds,
Do you have Win 7 operating on a Haswell iMac? Thanks. The WLAN driver appears to be for Win 8 only, no luck with 7 for that, but I'm wired anyway.

Originally, I had an odd problem with the net dropping out very quickly after boot, or after re-enabling the driver--like I'd get one web page loaded and then I lost the Internet. I put some specific DNS addresses in the settings and now it works without dropping out.

Some things I don't have working yet include sound, WLAN and Bluetooth. For some reason the driver info shows sound trying to go out an SPDIF port instead of the display audio. I'd consider it "done for now" once I get the sound working. Then I'll just wait for Apple to update or some source of good Win 7 drivers for the rest of it.

Last edited:

rds

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2007
Haven't tried Windows 7 I'm afraid as I needed 8 to boot off a USB drive.

Because some of the hardware has unique identifiers, you have to go into Device Manager and tell it what/where the driver is.

Make sure that the ethernet controller is listed as a Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet in device manager. Driver works flawlessly in Windows 8.

The sound card is a Cirrus Logic CS4206B. You have to replace the HD Audio under Sound devices BUT 1) I don't know which AB version it is 2) it will only output through the speakers (which is better than nothing & possibly to do with the wrong AB number being chosen) 3) Leave the Nvidia audio stuff. http://www.cirrus.com/en/products/cs4207.html (yes that's right, 4207 – the drivers can be find under the resources tab.)

The unknown Bluetooth controller is compatible with the Apple Bluetooth driver (again, you must right click in device manager and choose the driver from the list assuming you ran Boot Camp from the Support folder via setup or the individual installer.)

If you haven't managed to install the Boot Camp drivers, use the test compatibility mode to run it and it should let it install the drivers, just uninstall any software you think is not applicable.

Apologies for the notes, I don't use Windows day-to-day anymore so can't remember the precise walkthrough.

R.dub

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2012
Hey that is great info, thanks for it. I'll be trying it out this evening. I'll respond here with the results so others using Win 7 can find it as a reference. Definitely appreciate your time in sharing... and yeah, I too have become less familiar with Windows settings since I went Mac at home for most things.

Update: you are correct, the Cirrus drivers took care of the sound. I used the last AB on the list, I think it was AB98 and the sound comes through the display speakers. I think I did notice a difference in sound between OSX and Windows on some Youtube stuff, I wonder if the AB#'s make any difference there, will look into it. Although I plan to clean up the drivers eventually, i.e. Bluetooth, etc, I feel like I now have a fully functioning Boot Camp Win 7 instance.

Windows, Zone Alarm, Spybot and drivers got me up to about 80 GB. I need to resize the partition. I have a 1TB drive that is barely used... so I think I'll take the easy way out and create another larger partition and copy over that way.

UPDATE: I added a 3rd partition to the drive, but it appears doing so ruined my original Win partition. I went a re-did my partition and learned more about this https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1523050/.

UPDATE #2: So Boot Camp looked different this time. I recently did the Mavericks upgrade and it seemed like the drivers may be corrected as part of that upgrade. I did have to add some DNS addresses to my TCP/IP v4 settings once I was in Win 7, but besides that, my LAN, WiFi and BT are all up now, with Apple Trackpad and Keyboard recognized. Has anyone else done a Win 7 Boot Camp install since Mavericks arrived? All good now for others too?

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2013
Hi all,

I have been reading this site for years, but just recently signed up to add a few cents to the BootCamp Win 7 installation on Late 2013 iMac. Thanks to the helpful postings of folks on this forum and my own research, I think I got to the point where all hardware of iMac is recognized and working (so far) without a problem.

I am including the computer specs for those who may want to compare if the hardware they have may work as well with these drivers.

My mac: iMac 14,2 with 1TB fusion drive (Late 2013)
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 3.4 GHz
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4GB
OS X version: 10.9
Bootcamp assistant version: 5.1.0 (473)
Bootcamp Support Drivers version: 5.0.5033 (newer is not available as of the date this posting was made)

Drivers that worked for me (for Win 7 Pro 64bit):

This posting assumes that you already have used BootCamp Assistant (or command line in terminal) to set up your BootCamp partition but still need to install the Win 7 software. If you have trouble setting up your BootCamp partition, reply to this message.

If you run into issues with keyboard and mouse not working (due to USB 3.0 and Win 7 incompatibility), you need to run your Win 7 partition (and Win 7 installation disk/partition) in legacy mode. (I found this information at: http://twocanoes.com/winclone/support#faq123 - see "Method using Terminal"). Here you will be setting the legacy on the installation volume of win 7, not bootcamp partition (yet). After running the diskutil list find the volume with installer of Win 7, and then run the command (substituting the disk1s2 below with the information you find through diskutil on your computer:

sudo /usr/sbin/bless --device /dev/disk1s2 --setBoot --nextonly --legacy

Enter administrative password when prompted. Next, select Restart from the Apple menu. Do not hold the Option key while restarting.

You should have mouse/keyboard working. Begin the Windows 7 installation. Upon first restart right after the installer completes, boot into Mac and set the legacy mode for the BootCamp partition (but this time without the --nextonly flag), so you can use keyboard/mouse to complete the installation and thereafter until the USB 3.0 drivers are installed).

1. Once in Win 7, install BootCamp software. If you try to install BootCamp support software on Windows by running setup.exe, you will see a message that it is not compatible. Instead, run cmd in administrative mode (go to Start and type cmd into Search and then right click and choose run as administator). Navigate to the location where you have saved your Bootcamp Support software, and run BootCamp.msi (it is in the Bootcamp/Drivers/Apple folder). When prompted to restart, don’t.
2. Install all the drivers mentioned above for wifi, Ethernet, etc. Reboot. Go to Control Panel and remove drivers that BootCamp installed that are not necessary…the wifi drivers from Apple, etc.

You should be able to boot normally into Windows 7 partition. To remove the previous --legacy flag, just hold the Option key when booting and select Win 7.

Post here if you have any trouble.

Last edited:

TheMeave

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2013
I've tried all the above, same problem.

I have a late 2013 MBP r 15-inch 1 week old

Installed Windows 7 through boot camp and loaded the windows drivers and everything works fine except the Internet, when troubleshooting Windows said there is a problem with the wireless network adapter.

When checking in the device manager, I have only 1 unknown device and it's a Intel HM87 LPC conttoller 8c4b, I've tried updating the drivers to that with no help, still unrecognized.

The only listed network adapter is the Broadcom 802.11ac Network adapter and it says it working fine (no errors).

TheMeave

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2013
I'm not sure it's a driver issue, like others have said, I think it has to do with OSX not releasing the wireless driver. My problem is no matter what I do, I can't get it to release.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere

Installed Windows 7 through boot camp and loaded the windows drivers and everything works fine except the Internet, when troubleshooting Windows said there is a problem with the wireless network adapter.

When checking in the device manager, I have only 1 unknown device and it's a Intel HM87 LPC conttoller 8c4b, I've tried updating the drivers to that with no help, still unrecognized.

The only listed network adapter is the Broadcom 802.11ac Network adapter and it says it working fine (no errors).

Did you get windows drivers from apple? I had to put on flash driver and install with my windows install.

legaleye3000

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2007

I have the same model. I created a Win7 USB drive. I boot off of it and you get the black screen saying "windows is loading files" with a progress bar on the bottom. When setup actually starts, the keyboard and mouse don't work. A usb mouse doesn't work either. Therefore, I cannot proceed with the install.

Anyone have a similar issue? Thanks.

wlfairman

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2010
Hi all,

I have been reading this site for years, but just recently signed up to add a few cents to the BootCamp Win 7 installation on Late 2013 iMac. Thanks to the helpful postings of folks on this forum and my own research, I think I got to the point where all hardware of iMac is recognized and working (so far) without a problem.

You should have mouse/keyboard working. Begin the Windows 7 installation. Upon first restart right after the installer completes, boot into Mac and set the legacy mode for the BootCamp partition (but this time without the --nextonly flag), so you can use keyboard/mouse to complete the installation and thereafter until the USB 3.0 drivers are installed).

1. Once in Win 7, install BootCamp software. If you try to install BootCamp support software on Windows by running setup.exe, you will see a message that it is not compatible. Instead, run cmd in administrative mode (go to Start and type cmd into Search and then right click and choose run as administator). Navigate to the location where you have saved your Bootcamp Support software, and run BootCamp.msi (it is in the Bootcamp/Drivers/Apple folder). When prompted to restart, don’t.
2. Install all the drivers mentioned above for wifi, Ethernet, etc. Reboot. Go to Control Panel and remove drivers that BootCamp installed that are not necessary…the wifi drivers from Apple, etc.

You should be able to boot normally into Windows 7 partition. To remove the previous --legacy flag, just hold the Option key when booting and select Win 7.

I am running OS-X 10.8.5 with an iMac 27 late 2013. Trying to install Windows 7 Pro 64-bit. [I have successfully installed W7 64 on an Imac 2010 and a MacBook Air 2013.] After experiencing problems on the new iMac, someone on the Apple Forum directed me to your post.

I have tried setting the legacy attribute as described, but after windows goes through several restarts completing installation, it detects that the install has not been setup and asks for my user name and computer name. At this point my USB key board and mouse don't work.

At this point my only option is to power down.

If I power up into windows I get a black and white screen and I use my keyboard to selecting "start windows normally", with the same result: keyboard and mouse don't work on first setup screen. If I power up with the option key and boot into Mac and retry the sudo command to put the Windows partition into legacy mode, and restart, same problem.

Any ideas?

wlfairman

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2010
I am running OS-X 10.8.5 with an iMac 27 late 2013. Trying to install Windows 7 Pro 64-bit. [I have successfully installed W7 64 on an Imac 2010 and a MacBook Air 2013.] After experiencing problems on the new iMac, someone on the Apple Forum directed me to your post.

I have tried setting the legacy attribute as described, but after windows goes through several restarts completing installation, it detects that the install has not been setup and asks for my user name and computer name. At this point my USB key board and mouse don't work.

At this point my only option is to power down.

If I power up into windows I get a black and white screen and I use my keyboard to selecting "start windows normally", with the same result: keyboard and mouse don't work on first setup screen. If I power up with the option key and boot into Mac and retry the sudo command to put the Windows partition into legacy mode, and restart, same problem.

Any ideas?

As I noted in the Apple Forum:

Well, magic is sometimes best. On my second call to Apple Care, the senior adviser suggested I try the following:

0) start with a blank USB flash drive
1) plug the USB Flash drive into the left-most USB port as you face the front of the iMac (the one closer to the mid plane of the iMac)
2) attach the superdrive to the right-most USB port and load an install DVD
3) launch boot camp selecting the second and third boxes (create support driver USB flash drive and install Windows 7; i.e., do not create a self contained bootable USB flash installation drive)

It worked! That was easy.

Platerpus7

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2013
Hi

How did you do it because i have tried on 4 different week old 2013 rMBP's and none can install Windows 7 or 8 using Bootcamp. I have done this so many times i know what im doing. It may be specific models. These have all been 2.6 GHZ model with NVIDIA graphics chip. Which do you have? and if you did anything different installing please share. thanks

Yojimbo007

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Hi all,

I am including the computer specs for those who may want to compare if the hardware they have may work as well with these drivers.

My mac: iMac 14,2 with 1TB fusion drive (Late 2013)
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 3.4 GHz
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4GB
OS X version: 10.9
Bootcamp assistant version: 5.1.0 (473)
Bootcamp Support Drivers version: 5.0.5033 (newer is not available as of the date this posting was made)

Drivers that worked for me (for Win 7 Pro 64bit):

This posting assumes that you already have used BootCamp Assistant (or command line in terminal) to set up your BootCamp partition but still need to install the Win 7 software. If you have trouble setting up your BootCamp partition, reply to this message.

If you run into issues with keyboard and mouse not working (due to USB 3.0 and Win 7 incompatibility), you need to run your Win 7 partition (and Win 7 installation disk/partition) in legacy mode. (I found this information at: http://twocanoes.com/winclone/support#faq123 - see "Method using Terminal"). Here you will be setting the legacy on the installation volume of win 7, not bootcamp partition (yet). After running the diskutil list find the volume with installer of Win 7, and then run the command (substituting the disk1s2 below with the information you find through diskutil on your computer:

sudo /usr/sbin/bless --device /dev/disk1s2 --setBoot --nextonly --legacy

Enter administrative password when prompted. Next, select Restart from the Apple menu. Do not hold the Option key while restarting.

hello
I would love some help from u as i have spent the last 10 hours trying to install windows 7 64 on a brand new iMac 27 cor7 with 1 terabit fusion drive.

Problem 1
after bootcamp creates partition and reboots to install windows.. i get mouse functionality and go through language setting .. then next step where a partition has to be picked... the bootcamp partition is not recognized as a partition windows can install in!
only option left is the format option or going back.
i do format and after the format i can move one step forward but then installer complains about driver issues and won't proceed.

alternate attempt.
i restore the mac drive to original.
use disk util to partition. using exfat and manually rebooting ..using option key to go to windows dvd.. mouse and keyboard functionality disappear and can't move forward.
i have tried your method of legacy mode to no avail.

basically i am stuck... it seems impossible to install windows 7 on mavericks and iMac.
can u help?
Thank you
cheers

R.dub

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2012
You need the USB 3 drivers from the Intel site. Add those to the USB booter, and when you get to the Win 7 install step that allows you to add drivers, load them at that time.

What is happening is that Boot Camp is getting you started with basic USB 3 drivers during that initial install screen. But, Win 7 doesn't have USB 3 drivers included (you have to add them like I mentioned above). If you do not add them, then when it gives control to the natural Win 7 files, there are no USB 3 drivers, then you're stuck and you basically have to start over. No way around it. Once you do that, you should be in business--I have a perfectly working Win 7 instance on my 2013 iMac with Mavericks.

jenzjen

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
See http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5634

Apple did not inform us how boot camp installs would change, but if you have any 2013 model, you have to download windows support software through the boot camp process on OS X. You can no longer download the drivers from the Apple boot camp support site.

rcmelvin

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2014
Wireless LAN drivers for the new Broadcom 802.11ac can be found here: http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=G750JW

Broadcom NetXtreme Ethernet controller drivers can be found here:
http://www.broadcom.com/support/ethernet_nic/netxtreme_desktop.php

This worked! Thanks! Only took 6 hours to find this. Using this, I fixed my 2013 Macbook Air, Windows 8.1, Bootcamp 5...only the Windows side Network Controller driver was failing. In fact, Bootcamp didn't install one. Double clicking the .exe from the Windows side installed the driver. Then pick a network. Tip top. Thanks a bunch!

Edalincam55

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2015
PK
Check this, it will definitely help you buddy, Goto answer. stanford. edu/ haswell_imac_boot_camp_windows_7_drivers- 1128307

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.