Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
The dream:
New Mac Pro and Titan grfx... all fully supported, and with gr8 OS X drivers.

The reality:
Stuck with Mac Pro '08, 8 x 2.8 GHz, 16 GB RAM, Radeon 7950 3 GB VRAM (Mac edition).
This Mac is a gr8 machine. The best investment ever. 5 years old.

But.... KLGA & KJFK Manhattan or EHAM (pay ware) etc... gets 20 FPS max if I set the rendering such, that I like it. Problem is that other airports do reach >30 fps with the same settings, so I don't need to set the grfx lower. Just avoid the biggest sceneries... :(

I am willing to wait what Apple have in store regarding a new Mac Pro (if ever...)

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
The dream:
New Mac Pro and Titan grfx... all fully supported, and with gr8 OS X drivers.

The reality:
Stuck with Mac Pro '08, 8 x 2.8 GHz, 16 GB RAM, Radeon 7950 3 GB VRAM (Mac edition).
This Mac is a gr8 machine. The best investment ever. 5 years old.

But.... KLGA & KJFK Manhattan or EHAM (pay ware) etc... gets 20 FPS max if I set the rendering such, that I like it. Problem is that other airports do reach >30 fps with the same settings, so I don't need to set the grfx lower. Just avoid the biggest sceneries... :(

I am willing to wait what Apple have in store regarding a new Mac Pro (if ever...)

I tried picking various brains in the Apple store on Saturday...No news, no info.:mad:

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
A buddy had a little trouble landing....:) We also took it in turns to attempt landing on an aircraft carrier with various planes...The old Stitson managed it after a few attempts, and I succeeded with the Baron...But not one of us could do it properly with any of the military fighters using the hook!

I was able to land and takeoff(without the cat) on a carrier with a 737 back in X-Plane 8 or 9( can't remember). Haven't been successful in 10 though. Think they fixed that. :p

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
I was able to land and takeoff(without the cat) on a carrier with a 737 back in X-Plane 8 or 9( can't remember). Haven't been successful in 10 though. Think they fixed that. :p

I can land on the carrier with the Baron or the old crop duster, but just can't get it right with any military jet. It's the approach speed...You have to go in hot 160 knots + and trust the hook...any slower and the plane becomes unstable ( which it should) even the Baron is at stall speeds when landing on the ship!:)

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Just curious as I currently can't find anything else online but does anyone else have lag with multiple monitors on multiple GPUs? I can plug all my monitors on one GPU and it's fine but if I move a monitor to another GPU, it lags. Guess OSX/Xplane can't communicate properly with multiple GPUs. Seen other setups in OSX with 6 monitors so I wonder if I'm doing something wrong? Thanks.

Topper

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2007
Just curious as I currently can't find anything else online but does anyone else have lag with multiple monitors on multiple GPUs? I can plug all my monitors on one GPU and it's fine but if I move a monitor to another GPU, it lags. Guess OSX/Xplane can't communicate properly with multiple GPUs. Seen other setups in OSX with 6 monitors so I wonder if I'm doing something wrong? Thanks.

I know one or two people can answer your question here but they are probably not monitoring this thread.
I'd suggest asking the same question at forums.x-plane.org.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Well Mavericks basically killed X-Plane 10 using multiple monitors. I can't get it to span across more than one display now :( Or basically anything if you want to stretch something across multiple displays.

EDIT:
Found an option in Mission Control to disable that option. Woo.

Uncheck "displays have separate spaces"

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-10-27 at 8.53.19 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-10-27 at 8.53.19 PM.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 139

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Got a new iMac now: 2013 model, i7 3.5 GHz, GTX 780M, 32 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD.

As predicted, my lovely ol' Mac Pro (2008, 8 x 2.8 GHz, Radeon 7950, 16 GB RAM, SSD) was very much CPU bound regarding X-Plane 10.

This new and shiny iMac (man.... it feels soooo fast with the 700 MB/sec SSD!!! :)) is GPU bound. Also not rocket science.
I can get higher settings, higher details and higher FPS using this iMac than the beefed up ol' Mac Pro. So, I'm very happy!

But, strangely.... at night-time I get lower FPS than the ol' Mac Pro... one way or another the night-time scenery "renders" much worse on the GTX 780M than the 7950 on the ol' Mac Pro.

I understand that the GTX 780M is not as good as the 7950, but during daytime-rendering that doesn't seem to be noticeable. But it does at night.

I tried it on both Mavericks and Mountain Lion.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
I should have mentioned that another update was released two days ago...I'm still having ATC issues, but with the new 27" 2TB 780M and 32GB of RAM it's running very smoothly.

Is anyone else having ATC issued?

Specifically:

ATV suddenly stops giving you directions. You can hear others call signs for a while, but eventually the last heading you are told to fly is the last you get.

I really want a fix for this and hope one of you folks have one....It's ruining the flying experience for me as I like it as real as possible.:mad:

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
I finally decided that enough is enough with the beta versions. Spent all day yesterday re-installing the sim, updating it, and then discovered that due to Austin's utter paranoia, I couldn't just copy my custom scenery files across from my R4. They have a custom installer that refers back to the master installation log.

So.........I spent another whole day feeding the blasted DVD;'s in.

My installation runs at 300GB. There has got to be a better way of verifying a genuine honest user than this.

However, since my backup is now non beta, the issue is now resolved. I can simply drag the entire sim folder back across. That takes 22 mins. over T/Bolt.

The ATC issue is also resolved, so it was worth doing, but if the guy wants beta testers than he really needs to lighten up on this type of insane security.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Take a look at the screenshot....I'm almost at 0.5 TB...

I haven't re-installed X-Pane 10 ever. That'll be too much work! :eek:
All those extra sceneries, some auto-gens I do use, some I don't.... which plugins have which settings...?

I sometimes trash the prefs to "reset" the SIM if I ever run into trouble.

I have the same X-plane 10 folder on my old Mac Pro, so I have some kind of backup.

Attachments

• XP10.jpg
    XP10.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 123

simon48

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Take a look at the screenshot....I'm almost at 0.5 TB...

I haven't re-installed X-Pane 10 ever. That'll be too much work! :eek:
All those extra sceneries, some auto-gens I do use, some I don't.... which plugins have which settings...?

I sometimes trash the prefs to "reset" the SIM if I ever run into trouble.

I have the same X-plane 10 folder on my old Mac Pro, so I have some kind of backup.

That's insane! Mine's only ~70GB, I guess I'm not as cool as you. :D

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Feel bad for my 4.5gb demo :D I haven't had time to really play and buy the full version. At least my whole folder will fit onto a ramdrive. Makes for extremely fast load times.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Feel bad for my 4.5gb demo :D I haven't had time to really play and buy the full version. At least my whole folder will fit onto a ramdrive. Makes for extremely fast load times.

It's the custom scenery that eats space....My fiancee has a basic install with all the scenery that comes with X-Plane downloaded, but without the scenery packs I have...that runs at around 50GB.

Mine is so large as I have the entire UK packs installed....that's 20 dual layer DVD's and a real pain to re-inatll....Glad I did though....I never got jot for beta testing for 2 years solid...now I'm running the final 64 bit non beta release...my 2GB 680MX and 32GB RAM runs me a good frame rate with HDR on, AAA at X2 ( sometimes turn that one up a little) and the detail levels are pretty high. My gripe remains the fact that ATC is STILL foobarred despite the amount of time they have spent goofing with it.

My International radio frequency lists don't work for all airports, or ground will and tower won't etc.

If I'd bought the thing as a game I wouldn't have shelled out over £300 on pedals and yoke equipment. I'd have bought a cheap arcade flyer and left it at that. It's very poor that what is supposed to be the best sim for accuracy in the business can't get ATC to operate properly....My fiancee suggests I " just fly around and look at the scenery ":D

GRRR..:mad:

simon48

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
I just got it running on my new 15" rMBP (with the 750m) today, man does it look nice! I only spent ~15 minutes messing with the rendering options so I'm sure I can get it even better yet. Extreme res, HDR, 2x AA, 1680x1050 on a Retina display, 20-30 FPS. All I can say is wow!

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Same as Macman45, my library has grown so huge due to the amount of custom scenery. Lots of lovely pay ware and freeware airports and other 3D scenery.

But, especially the photo scenery eats the GBs. I too have the commercial UK scenery, but also a lot of ZL17 stuff from Sim Heaven (check it out).

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Same as Macman45, my library has grown so huge due to the amount of custom scenery. Lots of lovely pay ware and freeware airports and other 3D scenery.

But, especially the photo scenery eats the GBs. I too have the commercial UK scenery, but also a lot of ZL17 stuff from Sim Heaven (check it out).

Is it as good as the boxed official stuff? What I really want are some really good well detailed airports....Cardiff, Heathrow, Stanstead, Gatwick to name just a few. I'm really not after any more planes....Due to a customs overcharge when I bought some stuff back aways, they gave me the Challenger for free...It's small enough to be fun to fly, but capable of trans atlantic stuff too. I create nutso flights from tiny islands using the DC-3. It's such a great plane....Due to it's large wingspan, and it's hugely OTTT P&W engines, it can get in and out of places that a plane it's size really shouldn't....It's tricky, and you have to be really on your game to do, but it will land at 30MPH without stalling on the smallest of airstrips. I usually choose those with a cliff at the end of the runway for takeoff though...gives the Pratt and Witney's enough time to drag her into the sky..:D

----------

Man I wish I hadn't looked......Looks great, and the prices aren't bad either....Supposed to be saving up for my wedding though, but I've bookmarked it..:D

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Is it as good as the boxed official stuff? What I really want are some really good well detailed airports....Cardiff, Heathrow, Stanstead, Gatwick to name just a few.
----------
Man I wish I hadn't looked......Looks great, and the prices aren't bad either....Supposed to be saving up for my wedding though, but I've bookmarked it..:D

The ZL17 sceneries are free!
The boxed stuff like the UK is best. But the NL stuff here is gr8!

Alongside the beautiful pay ware Schiphol it is gorgeous!

It will cost you around 2.5 GB VRAM if the settings are high....

I miss a nice Heathrow. I have "merged" the default Heathrow with another I found over at the .org, and "undoubled" some buildings, but I wish someone would sell us a really good and up to date Heathrow.

richest

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2012
I have just bought the Global 64 bit version of my new 27 Mac top spec.

Should I only buy 64 bit add on s? How will the older 32 bit planes airports run?

I know that the disks I will receive will have 32 and 64 Bit on them, but if I open a 64 bit session as being my norm, how will add on s load up?

Sorry basic stuff, but I am a newbie ex of MSX where the basics are laid out.

Thanks/

simon48

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
I have just bought the Global 64 bit version of my new 27 Mac top spec.

Should I only buy 64 bit add on s? How will the older 32 bit planes airports run?

I know that the disks I will receive will have 32 and 64 Bit on them, but if I open a 64 bit session as being my norm, how will add on s load up?

Sorry basic stuff, but I am a newbie ex of MSX where the basics are laid out.

Thanks/

For scenery and planes it doesn't matter at all (they are not executables, so there is no such thing as a 64 or 32 bit plane or scenery). For plugins I believe you need them to be 64 bit if you're running X-Plane at 64 bit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.