Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

mavericks_round_icon-250x254.jpg
Apple has internally seeded two upcoming updates to Mavericks, OS X 10.9.1 and OS X 10.9.2, to its employees, according to a source that spoke to 9to5Mac. Reportedly nicknamed "Board," OS X 10.9.1 will be released later in the month to fix several bugs introduced with OS X 10.9.

Since the release of Mavericks, users have reported several different issues, with the Mail app, mostly related to Gmail accounts. Apple has already seeded an updated Mail app to its employees and AppleSeed members, and it is possible that a Mail fix could be bundled into the next public Mavericks release. Apple is also said to be preparing updates for issues within Safari, iBooks, and Remote Desktop.

OS X 10.9.2, nicknamed "Carve", is also said to be in testing with Apple's software engineering teams, adding minor feature enhancements and additional bug fixes after the 10.9.1 update.
Also in testing, the source said, is OS X 10.9.2. That release is codenamed "Carve," and it's likely to include more bug fixes, and perhaps minor feature enhancements. Both OS X 10.7.2 and OS X 10.8.2 were updates to Lion and Mountain Lion designed to increase feature-parity between iOS and OS X. OS X Mavericks is currently lacking support for iOS's iMessage blocking feature and FaceTime Audio, so it seems plausible that OS X 10.9.2 could add those features.
According to 9to5Mac, Apple is also continuing work on the next iteration of OS X, 10.10, which has been seeded internally. The next iteration of OS X is said to alter the look of the operating system to bring it in line with iOS 7.

In addition to Mavericks updates, Apple has also been testing iOS 7 updates. As we reported this afternoon, MacRumors has seen increasing numbers of devices running iOS 7.0.4 in web logs since October 22, suggesting that the next minor update to iOS 7 could come in the near future.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Two New Mavericks Updates to Employees for Testing

drew627

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2013
When the push notification came I screamed. I thought they have released 10.9.1 AND 10.9.2 at the same time.

chirpie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010
Honestly, the .0 release of Mavericks was one of the more stable releases I had installed in a while.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
I honestly say that this is probably the most stable .0 release I ever had.

found no problem with my OS, ymmv.

drew627

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2013
According to 9to5Mac, Apple is also continuing work on the next iteration of OS X, 10.10, which has been seeded internally. The next iteration of OS X is said to alter the look of the operating system to bring it in line with iOS 7.

Wishing this is true...

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Interesting that they're giving names to minor releases. I don't remember Apple doing this with the Cat versions of OS X (at least not that I heard about).

I'm guessing, based on the surfing terms that:
"Board" -- will be focused on system stability and bugfixes
"Carve" -- might focus on new features or improvements, adjusting to user and internal feedback

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
Interesting that they're giving names to minor releases. I don't remember Apple doing this with the Cat versions of OS X (at least not that I heard about).

I'm guessing, based on the surfing terms that:
"Board" -- will be focused on system stability and bugfixes
"Carve" -- might focus on new features or improvements, adjusting to user and internal feedback

These are just internal code names that they use -- they won't be public facing.

Chastepe

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2010
Derby, UK
Os x 10.10

I hope OS X 10.10 will not be created with the same philosophy Microsoft created Windows 8 thinking that we all now have huge touchscreen displays in front of our desktops. Seriously I installed Windows 8 on Fusion out of curiosity and I was like 'what were they thinking?'.

lcmazza

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2012
I will always hate those bug-fixes descriptions from Apple's software. They seem to always fix what nobody cares and the true annoying bugs are rarely mentioned and you have to install the update and play the dice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.