Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Star Wars: Tiny Death Star is now available in the U.S. App Store after soft launching in Australia a few weeks ago. The app, first announced in early October, is the result of a collaboration between Disney, LucasArts, and NimbleBit, the developer behind free-to-play hits like Tiny Tower, Pocket Planes, and Pocket Trains.

In Star Wars: Tiny Death Star, players help the Emperor construct a Death Star level by level, earning credits to expand the Death Star further and further. Gameplay is similar to Tiny Tower, where players were tasked with managing an ever-growing tower of businesses.

According to the game's description, there are more than 80 Star Wars themed residential and commercial floors to build and more than 30 unique galactic bitizens to employ, including Wookiees and Ewoks.

In addition to standard galactic businesses, players will also be able to build secret underground imperial levels to create supplies that will aid in a fight against the Rebels, who will attempt to break into the Death Star. Players can expect to see (and capture) heroes like Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia, and more.
Amidst a civil war in a galaxy far, far away, the Emperor is building a Death Star level by level, and he needs your help. Intergalactic war is expensive, and space stations are, too. Do you have any idea how much it costs to build one the size of a moon?

Live life on the dark side, and join Emperor Palpatine and Darth Vader on a mission to attract Galactic bitizens, run intergalactic businesses, and build an all-new Death Star! With that hard-earned money, fund the Empire's evil schemes to defeat the Rebels and conquer the galaxy once and for all!
Star Wars: Tiny Death Star is a universal app that can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: 'Star Wars: Tiny Death Star' Hits the U.S. App Store

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
These are the guys that Zynga tried to put out of business by stealing their game, so it's great to see them hitting back with a deal like this. Hope it's a huge hit.

DELTAsnake

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2008
Australia
I didn't realise Tiny Death Star wasn't available in America. Hope they have fixed the crash issues I've had since it launched over here.

tMac7

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2013
looks cool actually. i'll give it a try although i'm not a fan of such pixel graphics and star wars mini-games in general

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5s and iPad.

er… so no, it isn't compatible with my original iPad which can't go past iOS 5.1.1. It should say 'iPad 2 or later'.

Votekinky06

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2011
Am I the only one that looked at the YouTube screenshot and immediately heard "MIMSYYYYY!!!!!!"?

dutchah

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2012
Cool idea. I hope the game itself isn't dependant on constant in-app purchases, though.

It's not dependent, it just speeds things up a whole bunch (if it's anything like Tiny Tower). It's perfectly doable without IAPs, just slow-paced. Something you can check and fiddle with a few times a day.

In other news, I just downloaded it on my 5th gen Touch. For those of you who couldn't before, try again.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.