Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
I'm still using the iPhone 4 with iPad 2 and plan to hold out until the iPad has Touch ID and the iPhone comes with a larger display (rumoured for iPhone 6) and possibly elimination of physical home button. Touch ID would be activated in the same place but the home button wouldn't be depressible, it would just be smooth glass. Anyway even if the home button is still there I'm getting the iPhone 6 because my iPhone 4 is almost useless. I'm pretty sure they will have a larger iPhone by then though.

Do you think these two would be released in spring or summer? May 2014?

Threni

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2013
Can't really see the need to touch Id on an iPad. Useful on the phone for quick access, but you have to open your case etc anyway. I usually leave my iPad on with 15 min password time and it's on most of the day anyway. Met purchases are made on my phone or PC so touch id on an iPad, well why?

Asuriyan

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2013
Indiana
Very little chance of seeing any iDevices in 2014 until early fall. The mid-cycle bump of the Retina iPad was an exception, not the rule.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
I thought there have always been two iPhones per year.

iPhone 4, iPhone 4S etc. No?

I remember a fall version and a summer version. Is that the old cycle?

Twimfy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2011
UK

Nope. Never happened. The 4 and the 4S were a year apart.

It'll likely always be that way to tie in with people's contract renewals.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Can't really see the need to touch Id on an iPad.

Visually impaired? It's there to protect a device against theft. Why would you not see a need any more or less than an iPhone?

You don't have to justify your purchase to yourself.

Minhimalism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2012
Texas
Visually impaired? It's there to protect a device against theft. Why would you not see a need any more or less than an iPhone?

Can't see TouchID being a theft deterrent.. a thief isn't going to see an iPhone 5S and think "oh I can't get into it better not steal it.."

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Can't see TouchID being a theft deterrent.. a thief isn't going to see an iPhone 5S and think "oh I can't get into it better not steal it.."

No, that wasn't the intent, by deploying additional security features it'll eventually make stolen products almost unappealing to a thief.

Your comment is exactly my point, if a thief thinks there may be a way, they'll continue to steal it, whereas if the same set of almost bulletproof security measures were in place across all Apple products, I bet it'd reduce the number of thefts.

To say you see no point in adding an additional layer of security seems a bit unintelligent of a comment.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011

iPhone Summer 2007
iPhone 3G Summer 2008
iPhone 3GS Summer 2009
iPhone 4 Summer 2010 (iPhone 4-Verizon Feb/2011)
iPhone 4s Fall 2011
iPhone 5 Fall 2012
iPhone 5s Fall 2013
iPhone 6 Fall 2014

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
it's interesting though. hope it happens. Would love an iPhone 6 / iPad Air 2 in May 2014.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
it's interesting though. hope it happens. Would love an iPhone 6 / iPad Air 2 in May 2014.

Usually a new iPhone comes with the next version of ios... 8 won't be ready for a while, given how long 7.1 is taking.

I can also see the mob of upset 5S owners if they release a 6 early.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Usually a new iPhone comes with the next version of ios... 8 won't be ready for a while, given how long 7.1 is taking.

I can also see the mob of upset 5S owners if they release a 6 early.
I am not sure about a new version of IOS for every iPhone ever released........that does not seem to be fact. But I do see a lot of buzz about a earlier than usual release for Apple. Maybe they will release a new iPhone in spring then one in the fall. But then who knows.....but everyone said they would never release a larger screen iPhone than the iPhone 4s. the along came the iPhone 5. Everyone said Apple would never release 2 phones in one year.....then along came the iPhone 5s and the iPhone 5c released at the same time. So who knows...it will be a wait and see with a TON of speculation in between! :)

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
I am not sure about a new version of IOS for every iPhone ever released........that does not seem to be fact. But I do see a lot of buzz about a earlier than usual release for Apple. Maybe they will release a new iPhone in spring then one in the fall. But then who knows.....but everyone said they would never release a larger screen iPhone than the iPhone 4s. the along came the iPhone 5. Everyone said Apple would never release 2 phones in one year.....then along came the iPhone 5s and the iPhone 5c released at the same time. So who knows...it will be a wait and see with a TON of speculation in between! :)

There has basically been a new version of ios and a new version of iPhone every year since launch in 2007, and the release of a new iPhone is generally among the first to be shipped with the new version of ios.

I suspect that if they did release an early iPhone that's larger, it will still be a 5S generation. It'd be awkward, but they have to decide if they want a smooth release, or more time on the market.

Also, the 5C wasn't so much of a new phone release. They followed the same formula of giving last year's hardware a price drop... Only this time they changed it, making it thicker, heavier, and made from plastic, in order to satisfy their bottom line.

iPodJedi

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2013
Apple Store, USA
Im gonna have to agree with other posters-i think it will come out in october like they normally do-now for the iwatch, i think a late summertime release may be possible but most likely that will be at the same time as the iphone 6.

TheAnvil

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2013

Could you please expand on how it protects the device against theft?

Three attempts and it bumps you back to your passcode. Passcode on restart. It is a matter of convenience nothing more and in no way does it protect your device against theft.

I would say, people on general use their phones much more frequently than tablets, thus getting in without typing in your passcode to reply to every message makes sense. On the other hand, people tend to use their tablets less frequently but for longer durations, so it doesn't make as much sense.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.