Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today launched a new update for iBooks for Mac, bringing it to version 1.0.1. The 14.7 MB update includes bug fixes and stability improvements for the app, which was originally released on October 22 alongside OS X Mavericks.

ibooksupdate.jpg
Apple has also released two EFI firmware updates for the 13-inch and 15-inch Retina MacBook Pros and a fix for the Mail app. The iBooks update, along with the other updates, can be downloaded via the Software Update tool in the Mac App Store.

Article Link: Apple Releases iBooks 1.0.1 for Mac With Bug Fixes, Stability Improvements

pietrociao

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2013
Still sync problems

Shouldn't iBooks be able to sync your collections with my iOS devices? I added some PDFs from the iPhone and I don't see them on my Mac, same problem with PDFs added from the Mac. I hoped this update would fix the problem, but it's still the same.

Do you guys experience the same or is it only on my system?

larrylaffer

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2009
Los Angeles
Shouldn't iBooks be able to sync your collections with my iOS devices? I added some PDFs from the iPhone and I don't see them on my Mac, same problem with PDFs added from the Mac. I hoped this update would fix the problem, but it's still the same.

I have this problem with not just PDFs, but also manually added ebook files. I suspect they just don't support doing that, because it's such a huge bug otherwise.

fishmoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2008
Sweden
I have a lot of books that I bought from the U.S iTunes Store and I can't figure out how to get them onto my new iPad Air. When the library was in iTunes, you could just drag them to your iOS device but this does not seem possible when they are in iBooks. Any ideas?

blackboxxx

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2008

My guess is that collection syncing only works with books purchased from iBook Store because Apple doesn't offer "iTunes Match" equivalent for iBooks, unlike Google that allows you to upload your books to their cloud and access them from any device.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
How to sync books in iTunes for iBooks

You need to enable book syncing in iTunes for the iOS device in question. See attachment:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-11-07 at 6.13.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-11-07 at 6.13.01 PM.png
    62.4 KB · Views: 154

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
What about Metadata editing?

Have they added the ability to edit metadata with this iBooks update? This is one of the reasons I reverted to Mountain Lion.

JonasCalhoun

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2012
I have a lot of books that I bought from the U.S iTunes Store and I can't figure out how to get them onto my new iPad Air. When the library was in iTunes, you could just drag them to your iOS device but this does not seem possible when they are in iBooks. Any ideas?

When you attach your device in iTunes, navigate to the 'Books' tab of the device section. There you will see your entire iBooks library, and can add/drop whatever books you want.

I noticed when I installed iBooks the first time, it grabbed PDFs and such that weren't even in the original iTunes book library. Didn't mind, honestly I had no idea they were cluttering up my drive, so it gave me the chance to do some pruning.

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
Have they added the ability to edit metadata with this iBooks update? This is one of the reasons I reverted to Mountain Lion.

Nope. Still missing, dunno wtf is taking so long, seems like an obvious essential feature.

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less

I'm seeing a ton of the PDFs and other eBooks (non-iTunes) I loaded on my iPad on my iMac in iBooks, I don't know why you can't see yours. Did you check your iCloud settings?

Mahler12x

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2008
California
I gotta say, so much of what Apple's putting out lately, software wise, isn't feeling FINISHED. I don't know what's going on but it's kind of irritating. I've got a HUGE collection of books and I liked the old way of syncing with my iPad much better.

And why the hell is it taking so long for them to release the new iBooks app for iOS 7? I hope it means they're cooking up something good

Last edited:

efktd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2011
USA
This version of iBooks includes bug fixes and stability improvements to performance and stability. Like allowing you to sync your PDFs onto your device. Because we all know just how unimportant PDFs are to your daily lives and we just wanted to give you a 3 week hiccup without having those documents or test to see if you knew how we did it old school and had to email the PDF to yourself.

Thanks Apple. Now we just need a meta data fix.

Shattentor

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2011
Germany
And why the hell is it taking so long for them to release the new iBooks app for iOS 7? I hope it means they're cooking up something good
Exactly my thoughts when reading this post. I just cannot fathom how it can take them so absurdly long to update their own apps to ios7.

Tysknaden

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2013
I want to find the books in a location, where I can copy them for manual backup :-(

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
I gotta say, so much of what Apple's putting out lately, software wise, isn't feeling FINISHED. I don't know what's going on but it's kind of irritating. I've got a HUGE collection of books and I liked the old way of syncing with my iPad much better.

Have to agree with this, apart from Maveriks everything lately seems to be half cooked especially iOS7. Apple need to get this stuff right or they are going to lose credibility.

morespce54

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2004
Around the World
My guess is that collection syncing only works with books purchased from iBook Store because Apple doesn't offer "iTunes Match" equivalent for iBooks, unlike Google that allows you to upload your books to their cloud and access them from any device.

And that's a shame if you ask me.

I'm still trying to figure that whole iBooks thing. So basically, once you open iBooks (for Mac) for the first time, every PDF and ebooks you have in iTunes gets transfer to the iBooks app... Afterward, when you get back to iTunes, you just lose your iBooks section on the iTunes sidebar... So you think that, from now on, you must use iBooks instead of iTunes to sync your (non-iTunes) books and PDF to your iOS devices. But no, as it turn out, you still need to use iTunes to do that... So now you have to open your PDF/ebooks with iBooks, then go back to iTunes, make sure your iOS device is registered and available, then go top the book tab, select your newly added PDF/ebooks and sync your device. And you do this for each iOS device... And you must do this every time you add a new PDF or (non-iTunes) ebook (if you choose not the sync your whole iBooks library).

Seems to me like quite a lots of steps to sync PDF and it's a bit counter-intuitive. Why can't I just "save" my PDF or (non-iTunes) ebooks on my iCloud directly form iBooks, like any TextEdit document for example? Then I could just open them from any iOS device and they would always be in-sync.

That wouldn't be a "magical" solution but it seems to me that it would be quicker and in some ways, more logical.

I can't even start thinking what will happen if they ever decide to take out the music and videos files from iTunes....

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013

Great idea for a fluffy-bunny world. Let's do stuff in half the time and make it FINISHED as well.

It reminds me of when my manager asks me to create a new product. I always tell him he can have something that's GOOD, CHEAP, or PRODUCED QUICKLY, and from that list he's allowed to choose two - and only two - items. Much stamping of feet usually follows.

mr.Ted

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2012
We don't even need "iBooks Match"

We only need an iCloud data sync. Apple, please offer the choice to store PDFs in iCloud.

It'd certainly help encourage people to increase their default iCloud storage allotment!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.