Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thanetman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2002
You know, what with Jaguar being optimised for dual processors, along with Photoshop, Premiere, Cubase SX etc., I'd hate to think that the full potential wasn't being reached.

thanetman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2002
I'd quite happily buy a PowerMac if it wasn't for the terrible fan noise - most of my work is with audio, the iMac is more of a 'silent runner'.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Originally posted by thanetman
... and the iMac is a Pro Machine... ... and we're all consumers...
Maybe you ought to check Apples product line...

eMac, iMac, iBook = low cost (kinda) consumer line
PowerMac, PowerBook, xServe = high cost pro line

shesh! :rolleyes:

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
I can see you're going to be a great addition to the MacRumors community...:eek: :rolleyes: ...if only AlphaTech (old timers will remember) was still around, he'd soon straighten you out ;) :D

thanetman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2002
And also support for Bluetooth and USB 2, with built-in coffee dispenser.

Yeah!

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
If you want a D/P Mac get a Powermac Dual 867Mhz $$1699.00. Edesignuk, back of, you were a newbie too.

beez7777

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2002
Notre Dame
first off, a dual processor iMac would be about as expensive as a mid linee powermac. the iMac is not a pro machine, as reflected in several ways. first off, the color of the keyboard. pro machines have black keys, consumer macs have white. second, the cost. also, why would you want a 40 gig iPod?? try to fill up a 20 gig. think about how much music that is. one more thing, having 6 of the 10 posts on this thread is a good way to get yelled at

thanetman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2002
Junk? You've hurt my feelings now... I thought this was the forum for hardware discussion and speculation?
I'm sorry if I've offended you
P.S Nice website edesign

D/P's in an iMac are not a reality I accept.
However, a 40 gig iPod would be most welcome, as would usb 2/ bluetooth etc., and I'm sure this is just a matter of time.

Just kind of sick of all the Powerbook / iBook stuff, thought I'd create a different thread.

Still want the coffee dispenser

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Junk? You've hurt my feelings now... I thought this was the forum for hardware discussion and speculation?
I'm sorry if I've offended you
P.S Nice website edesign

D/P's in an iMac are not a reality I accept.
However, a 40 gig iPod would be most welcome, as would usb 2/ bluetooth etc., and I'm sure this is just a matter of time.

Just kind of sick of all the Powerbook / iBook stuff, thought I'd create a different thread.

Still want the coffee dispenser
Cool, now your starting to talk sense. A dual CPU iMac is never gonna happen, unless the PM's get quad CPU's.
As for the 40Gb iPod, I don't see why not. Just as soon as Toshiba start making 40Gb versions of the HDD used at the moment (smaller than regular laptop HDD's) Apple may well scrap the 5Gb and move to 10, 20, and 30-40Gb options for those that want to use the iPod for lots of music and a high capacity FireWire HDD.
And thanks for the comment on my site, although I havn't done anything to it for ages and it has no real content yet either....but hey! The designs there.

Peace out!

thanetman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2002
Hello Beez

Yes I could fill a 40gig iPod, otherwise I wouldn't need it. 8000 songs is not that much, and that is just at a bit rate of 128. Most of my stuff is encoded at 192, so that is gonna be less than 8000 songs. I own approx 550 albums, and would love to have them all on a portable device such as the iPod. Really, this is not such a strange idea, other similar consumer devices have 40 gig, but the iPod is a work of art, so a 40 gig iPod - why not?

As for the multiple posts, yeah sorry. You know how you suddenly remember something that you wanted to say when it's too late? Thats me. Won't do it again!!!

wrylachlan

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2002
Originally posted by edesignuk

Cool, now your starting to talk sense. A dual CPU iMac is never gonna happen, unless the PM's get quad CPU's.

Considering how hosed apple has been by Motorola lately, I wouldn't bet against a DP iMac. If the iMac went DP, even at a significantly lower clock speed than the PowerMac, it would spur developers to write more and more multi-threaded applications. This in turn would allow apple some breathing room if their chip supplier isn't clocking them up fast enough. Once the majority of apps are optimized for SMP it becomes easy to add power by simply adding a processor.

As a side note, I'm betting that the alterior motive behind Intel's implementation of Hyperthreading is pretty much the same. They're moving their developer base towards multi-threading apps so that down the road they can sell more chips for SMP rigs.

medea

macrumors 68030
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
The iMac is not aimed towards pro users, so a Dual Processor one will doubtfully ever be released no matter how fast the processors get, DP is something that most people will never make use of so it would be a waste of money. Also we will doubtfully ever see USB2 in a mac simply because it sucks, we have firewire already and that is much faster and doesnt have the negative aspects of usb2.
And as far as your multiple posting, there is an edit option on your posts, if you forget to write something then just go back and edit it.

Attachments

• 00end.gif
    00end.gif
    5.5 KB · Views: 738

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
And the iCoffee dispenser?
Just when we were starting to get along you have to go back to the coffee thing, leave it alone.
As you correctly said this is a rumors site for discussing all things Apple (within reason), but an iCoffee is just going to get people p*ssed off, spamming the site with...well....spam.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
apologies for humour, will try to be more serious from now on.
Hey man, I'm sorry if I'm coming across as an a$$, I appriciate a sence of humor and you will find alot of humor around the fourms.
It's just that in recent months there have been alot of people posting alot of spam to get their post count up (and get a 'tar in the process), it has now become quite frowned upon by the mods to waste time with totally pointless posts, all I'm doing is letting you know.

Again...Peace out! :)

beez7777

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2002
Notre Dame
Hello Beez

Yes I could fill a 40gig iPod, otherwise I wouldn't need it. 8000 songs is not that much, and that is just at a bit rate of 128. Most of my stuff is encoded at 192, so that is gonna be less than 8000 songs. I own approx 550 albums, and would love to have them all on a portable device such as the iPod. Really, this is not such a strange idea, other similar consumer devices have 40 gig, but the iPod is a work of art, so a 40 gig iPod - why not?

As for the multiple posts, yeah sorry. You know how you suddenly remember something that you wanted to say when it's too late? Thats me. Won't do it again!!!

at first, a 40 gig iPod sounded like a lot, but the more i think about it the more it seems reasonable. although, i think a 30 gig might be a little more practical just because of the cost. i would think that the 10 gig would be the best selling of the current iPod line, because its a better deal(case, capacity, and remote) than the 5, and significantly cheaper than the $500 the 20 gig costs. anyone know for sure what the best selling is? anyway, dont worry about the multiple posting, just use the edit option from now on:)

buffsldr

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2001
once nice factor about the ipod is that it allows for easy management of the files you have on itunes. eg... simply sync by playlists. that would let you put 1000 songs on at a time on a 5 gig drive. with syncing occuring as fast as it does, you can trade which 1000 you have on at any given time with ease

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.