Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I'm on an iPhone 5 and AT&T's LTE speeds in Manhattan have utterly collapsed -- where I live and work at least. I used to get an average of 30mps down and around 15mps up. Now it's between 5 & 6 mps down and 2mps up. That's full speed--I'm not throttled. It's still very usable of course, but these speeds are less than what Id expect from a carrier that prices itself as premium.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Speed tests don't matter in NYC, especially when your average TMobile and Sprint user cherry picks one random intersection (where there is no one) and boasts how about amazing their LTE speeds are, yet once you walk a block down the road, the TMobile user is stuck on their blazing fast EDGE network or Sprint users are stuck on the useless EVDO network.

skimcpip

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2013
Speed tests don't matter in NYC, especially when your average TMobile and Sprint user cherry picks one random intersection (where there is no one) and boasts how about amazing their LTE speeds are, yet once you walk a block down the road, the TMobile user is stuck on their blazing fast EDGE network or Sprint users are stuck on the useless EVDO network.

I'm on tmobile in NYC and have never had just edge on any block or corner.

DcGamer05

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2011
Litchfield CT
But 1700/1900 MHz does have much more capacity and it's cheaper to buy. ;)

Cheaper as in you need twice the amount of towers to operate a 1700/1900 network to meet coverage goals? Sounds like it evens out.
Thats why you have both ideally which VZW, AT&T, and Sprint (well they say they do) do. Its what fits you best but ideally lower is better. I work around FM broadcast antennas and lower is better believe me.

Last edited:

DunMeClip

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2013
New York
AT&T LTE speeds in Bkln. Went to go see my cousin. Needless to say, they are doing fine. I don't get half this in Manhattan. On its best day.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 48

apollo1444

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2011
mexico
Cheaper as in you need twice the amount of towers to operate a 1700/1900 network to meet coverage goals? Sounds like it evens out.
Thats why you have both ideally which VZW, AT&T, and Sprint (well they say they do) do. Its what fits you best but ideally lower is better. I work around FM broadcast antennas and lower is better believe me.

if that's so how come the rest of Europe and 80% of southamerica has chosen 2600mhz over aws?

yeah

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011

Well, I actually meant that AWS spectrum is much cheaper to buy from the FCC than low-frequency spectrum.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.