Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
EA can't hear you over there piles of evil money.

They took all they're recent games off steam making Battlefield 3 and Mass Effect 3 irritating to load up.

Unless people actually just start boycotting EA games completely until thing change, they never will.

Are we also boycotting Valve for not selling their digital games on other digital distribution platforms? >_>

BMNB1tch

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2009
Every new thing i see from lego it seems to be more and more lacking in actual lego bricks.

yup. i just can't understand how lego works today. i mean there are some really great sets, especially from from the "creator" line. this is something what lego used to be. at least they try to teach kids how to build.

but i don't believe that releasing a new lego blockbuster line, like they did with LOTR, Harry Potter or Cars, actually makes LEGO any better. for me making lego computer games is something like BK selling pictures of whoppers. it's just not the real thing.

btw, i want the old smiling lego minifig faces back! :mad:

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Yes

Are these LEGO games actually any good?

Some of the recent ones have had good reviews; but I've always been skeptical.

The original Star Wars one (4-6 and 1-6) were fantastic, but all the rest have felt awkward.

----------

I have this game for the 360 and it was pretty good. The inventory item switching gets alittle annoying, but it is still a great game. The Lego Star Wars game is still the best though.

It's okay.

Totally agree with Star Wars, though. Best by far.

Ungibbed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2010
USA
Did we not all used to pay $69.99 and up 20 years ago for ****** super nintendo games? When people bitch about game prices these days it blows my mind. A cheap original gameboy game used to be $29.99

The N64 games carried a hefty price as well but here's a blast from the past for the whiners about game prices...

Why are games expensive now these days? Used game sales from GameStop. The game publisher makes no ROI and GameStop makes a near 100% over reselling used games. I always insist on new if at all possible. :eek:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    863.8 KB · Views: 118

Ungibbed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2010
USA
The original Star Wars one (4-6 and 1-6) were fantastic, but all the rest have felt awkward.

----------

It's okay.

Totally agree with Star Wars, though. Best by far.

I played the Indiana Jones games on the Xbox 360 as it was a free pack-in when I had to replace yet another dead 360. I moved on to the PS3 after losing so much money replacing consoles. Had the same PS3 for five years now and it still is a soldier.

Back to the topic though. I've also considered parting with my PS3 as I really don't play it much anymore but may keep my old Wii as Smash Brawl is a riot with company over.

So I've been doing a bit more gaming on my MacBook Pro.

I worry that the age of my Mac though will be the end of me as its still a 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo with the Nvidia 320m to its benefit. Some games run beautifully on it such as the Trine series. Cider ports don't do so well much to my annoyance. I have the GTA Trilogy box set and even the old PS2 ports stutters despite the upgrades I've done. The game just sits on a shelf doing little more than collecting dust.

Optimized games such as those from Feral run like a dream even at full native resolution of my ACD. The extra detail seen in Fable is just awesome on the massive display. With far more detail, the pinball games from Gameprom never skip a beat but GTA3 runs smoother on my iPad than on my Mac even when reducing the resolution to levels of ugly!

No more Cider ports for me and if this is one, that is sad. Sure I could use a newer Mac but when I bought mine I intended it to last me far longer than this.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
And they have unbelievably low prices during their frequent sale events. Gotta love Valve!

Exactly, there are good reasons I love Valve and hate EA. Sure Valve might not allow they're games on other stores, but other stores?!

All EA has achieved with Origin is needless fragmentation fueled by greed rather than anything to do with customer satisfaction.

Remember when Apple behaved like that in the early 90's?

----------

The N64 games carried a hefty price as well but here's a blast from the past for the whiners about game prices...

Why are games expensive now these days? Used game sales from GameStop. The game publisher makes no ROI and GameStop makes a near 100% over reselling used games. I always insist on new if at all possible. :eek:

eBay all the way ;)

dduttonnc

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2011
Don't get me started on Microsoft and directX! :p

But at least Valve will get OpenGL a better standing by using Linux as their front runner in the near future.

Before I get flamed, I'm not a MS, nor an Apple "fanboy." I'll admit I can't stand ATI graphics cards. Anything rendered on them looks "fuzzy" to me (be it Windows, OS X, or Linux). DX vs OpenGL on Windows.... the OpenGL game will not be able to even come close to all the things a DX game can do.. why? I'll answer that shortly.

I have a 64GB iphone 5s, a 128Gb ipad 5 (air), a mac mini, and an Alienware Aurora R4 gaming desktop. I also used to work for Apple from 2002-2006, and I was also a Certified MS Engineer ages ago. So I walk in both worlds.

Macs and PCs are now HW identicle (except for the BIOS and a few MINOR things). Macs and PCs have the same CPUs (intel or amd) and GPUs (AMD or nvidia).

OpenGL is an open source "standard" between OS X / Linux / Windows, and DX is MS' baby. Both OGL and DX can display games quite well. However DX is a clear winner when it comes to gaming performance, coding, etc. This is mostly because ATI and nvidia support DX more than OpenGL.

People may think? Huh? Why? OpenGL is used in EVERYTHING except: Xbox (which is ACTUALLY short for DirectXbox!- most people do not know that LOL) and MS windows. Put the mobile market away for a bit.

That leaves DX on Windows and Xbox. OpenGL on OSX, Linux, and PS3. Combine the 2 groups. There's far more Windows and Xbox machines in the market vs OSX, Linux, and PS3s. Linux is great, but the avg user won't touch it. I've yet to see a Linux system that is VERY user friendly to the avg user. Windows and OSX are more popular because their GUIs are easier for less computer literate people. Apple is the only company that has successfully taken a "unix-like" system, and got it to succeed in a consumer market. So as much as Linux fan people want to see Linux be used by the avg user... LOL.. It's not happening.. not unless someone slaps a GUI on it making it JUST as easy to use as windows and OS X *AND* developers support it. Why don't I use Linux? Easy! Games, productivity , etc software is far superior on OS X and Windows... anyway, I'm on a tangent...

I'm ALL for X-platform programming. If OpenGL could do all the things DX 11 (and soon 12) could do, devs would code only OpenGL, but it doesn't. Even websites that are FOR OpenGL admit this.

Now add in the mobile market... and tablets...

It would be MUCH easier to port games between OSX, windows, phones, consoles, and phones if everyone used OpenGL! I 1000% agree!

Unfortunately DX won't be going anyplace soon as the problem lies with ATI and nvidia. THEY support DX over OpenGL and optimize their Windows, OS X, AND Linux drivers to work better with DX vs OpenGL. Again, why? Hate to say it people... but Windows Gaming Rigs dominate the gaming market.. (plus the xbox, xbox 360, and xbox one all use DX)... IF IF IF IF :) IF Apple can get a MUCH larger hold on the consumer market for gaming and productivity, AND the PS can get major gains over the XBOX.... boom... THATS when we will see a HUGE shift away from DX...

(plus you have MS, a multi trillion dollar company putting $$ into DX, the GPU manufacturers optimizing the GPUs for DX (however they are starting to work with OGL better these days).. and how much funding goes into OGL?)... not a lot of funding.... If OGL lovers want to see DX DEAD...it's easy.. Apple just needs to BUY all the rights to it :) It won't be open anymore.. but it'll have a LOT of money behind it ... and devs and hw companies follow the revenue :)

Until one wins out over the other (which I doubt any time soon.. that would like ATI or nvidia putting one of the other out of business or Apple or MS putting each other out of business)... we will see both out there for a time

And in the end, there's no point fighting or arguing over it... It's like saying a mac is better than a Pc.. argument dead.. they are the same now.. Although one can argue that OS X is better than windows or Linux is better than OSX...

It all comes down to PERSONAL PREFERENCE... and why bash someone because the like OS X.. or they LOVE ati and hate nvidia....

Summary OpenGL vs DX:
* DX can do many things OGL can NOT
* However OGL is the standard for EVERYTHING but Windows and the xbox
* X-platform is the way to go so eventually OGL *should take over*
* But none of us have a choice what we use do we? :) If you use anything but windows or xbox, you are forced into OGL.
* If you use windows, you are pretty much forced to play (not forced to code) the game how it was coded (probably DX)... and ALL xbox games must use DX

Good article on why to use OGL and not DX, and it explains why DX is dominant:

http://blog.wolfire.com/2010/01/Why-you-should-use-OpenGL-and-not-DirectX

ananas10

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2014
lotr

does this game work on
The iMac "Core i3" 3.06 21.5-Inch Aluminum (Mid-2010) is powered by a dual core 3.06 GHz Intel "Core i3" I3-540 (Clarkdale) processor with a dedicated 256k level 2 cache for each core and a 4 MB shared level 3 cache. In lieu of a system bus, it has a "Direct Media Interface" (DMI) that "connects between the processor and chipset" at 2.5 GT/s.By default, it is configured with 4 GB of RAM (1333 MHz PC3-10600 DDR3 SDRAM), a 500 GB (7200 RPM) hard drive, a vertically-mounted slot-loading DVDR DL "SuperDrive", and ATI Radeon HD 4670 graphics with 256 MB of dedicated GDDR3 memory. Im about to buy it but im not sure does it work!?! And what's the FPS?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.