Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StressedSnowCat

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2013
I already selected hardware keyboard british but for software keyboard there is no option... I find it really frustrating to see "English (US)" displayed when I switch keyboards, I want to get rid of the US mention and if possible replace it with UK. Is that possible? Can I get a british software keyboard?

StressedSnowCat

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2013
Hardware keyboard is set to UK but there is no such choice for Software Keyboard only QWERTY, QWERTZ, AZERTY...

hharzer

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2013
Either I didn't understand your question correctly or I'm missing the point, but when I add an extra keyboard I can choose between English and English (UK)

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    69 KB · Views: 551

Liebo

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2013
Hardware keyboard for when paired via Bluetooth.

Try gong into international settings and ensuring region format is correct.

Liebo

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2013
Hardware keyboard options are for keyboard dock or when paired via Bluetooth.

Set default language in the international settings then you have "normal" English British keyboard and English (us) as optional not other way around.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384089447.842826.jpg

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
Ah yes. North America… original birthplace of the English language. :D

Considering it's an American product, I don't really find it weird that AmE is simply "English" and BrE has the addition (UK), but I get your point ;)

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
Hardware keyboard options are for keyboard dock or when paired via Bluetooth.

Set default language in the international settings then you have "normal" English British keyboard and English (us) as optional not other way around.

View attachment 446428

Must be the region format that does it in that case, because I've got English and English (UK) to choose from in Add keyboard...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 372

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Language seems to be what controls [the default choice of keyboard]. Selecting British English give me a UK keyboard [only] even with a US region format.

B

Last edited:

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
Language seems to be what controls it. Selecting British English give me a UK keyboard even with a US region format.

B

Controls what? You can add/remove any and all keyboards no matter what you've set up under Language, and English is AmE whilst English (UK) is BrE.

Davesum

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2014
Hope I'm doing this right as this is the first time on this forum.

I just had the same problem in setting up iOS 8 with either English UK or Australian default as I am tired of predictive txt changing my correct spelling.

Eventually I simply made a new keyboard (I chose English Australian) then immediately pressed 'edit' and deleted the default leaving only the Australian. It seems to have worked and the default US can be retrieved by resetting preferences. If you don't delete the default it seems to dominate whenever it can.

written to help anyone else who has this problem :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.